• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gaudard

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    Terre Haute
    I'm looking for ideas for some range props if you will.

A shooting bench that is like 5 feet long, 4 feet wide at one end, then 2 feet wide at the other end, to use while shooting a rifle. I've seen them in various pictures if you're not sure what I mean, I can post the picture. Not necessarly with those dimensions, but I couldn't think of any other way to describe it.

Some type of barrier to shoot a rifle and using it as a standing support and kneeling support.

Target stand.

And anything else that might be useful.

Anyone have some designs, dimensions, or detailed pictures?

Thanks!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'm looking for ideas for some range props if you will.

A shooting bench that is like 5 feet long, 4 feet wide at one end, then 2 feet wide at the other end, to use while shooting a rifle. I've seen them in various pictures if you're not sure what I mean, I can post the picture. Not necessarly with those dimensions, but I couldn't think of any other way to describe it.

Some type of barrier to shoot a rifle and using it as a standing support and kneeling support.

Target stand.

And anything else that might be useful.

Anyone have some designs, dimensions, or detailed pictures?

Thanks!

Do a search on homemade ranges on this forum. There have been a few pics posted in the short time I've been here.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    lovemywoods and I are always discussing these kinds of things to do on his range. Here is what we've come up with:

Shooting Bench

He's an engineer-- I will leave it at that!
    13z0t3m.jpg

212ze6r.jpg

Details can be found here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...3-built_my_own_shooting_bench_-_pictures.html

Target Stands

We have one permanent 'target stand' that is basically 3 posts with 2 'tables' mounted in between. We generally put bowling pins on the tables and knock them off. The boards on the ground help the bowling pins to roll down so they're easier to pick up. We also have a cable running the tops of the posts to hang targets from.

IMG_5642.jpg

IMG_5725.jpg

He also has built several portable target stands from PVC piping. I believe he found the simple plans online. A Google search should yield several results.

343n7km.jpg

Barricades

The next thing I think we should build would be a couple of VTAC-style barricades. (pic below not ours)
    bowden_barricade_front_326x500.jpg

You'll get a chance to see these things in person at the MDFI class in December. Hope this helps!

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Holder for paper targets.

That's my shooting bench behind it. No painting, no rot, no bugs, been there out in the weather for 10 years now and it worked just as good yesterday as the first day I built it.

Set of home made bipod/shooting/walking stick sized to shoot as a bipod from camp and lawn chairs and shooting stick standing up in high grass.
    IMG_0084-1.jpg

These are my swinging steel targets with the limestone posts and table top to set knock down targets on top or I've used some of those mobile steel targets to put more swinging targets on top for now.

IMG_0452.jpg

Hooks you can use to hang these on a limb or what ever you want, you can put spikes through those holes and make them stand up independantly.
    TargetsIron31.jpg

Made my clay thrower mobile to move around for different shots like a sporting clays course.
    aaClayTrap61.jpg

I don't like to keep building the same thing over and over again so I use stone and steel for everything I can. The stone, real estate signs, and old fence are all free so that pretty much sealed the deal for me.

Last edited:

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Shooting table

I have made several shooting tables using "banquet table" legs available at Home Depot, Menards, or Lowes. They fold flat and don't weigh much, depending on the plywood you choose. You can make the top any size you want. I usually start with a 2' X 4' plywood panel then cut it to the final shape. My latest ones have laminate tops and work well with bags. I think if you make it much longer than 4', it may need some reinforcement underneath unless you go to 3/4" plywood. I screw and glue plywood "plates" at the attachment points of the leg brackets. Use a double plate at one end and the legs will fold flat. These are not built for range use. They are used for prairie dog shooting and portability is important. The one in the background has extended legs to fit me better.

standard.jpg

Last edited:

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Not to get off topic, but how do the bowling pins hold up? What are you shooting them with?

I have two types of bowling pins, the standard maple wood core ones and some that are a tough white plastic.

In the picture below, the wood core ones have the red rings around the neck.

Both styles hold up remarkably well. We shoot them with everything from .22 to .223. If it comes out the end of a gun, we shoot them!

I also like their shape and size. They are a good imitation of a human torso/head combo scaled to about 12" tall. At 25 feet back, hitting the bowling pin consistently would be akin to hitting a man-sized target at 75-100'.

After enough abuse, the maple core gets splintered enough the start falling apart. The plastic pin surface gets very sharp and rough from all the fragmented plastic. Amazingly, the pins get heavier as they accumulate lead inside them!

I will use a set of pins for most of a year at our range (except on NFA weekend when we shot about 15,000 rounds!)

I like the bowling pins because of the visual feedback the shooter gets. Also, they are an easy way to have a contest between two shooters to see who can clear the pins off the table first. :rockwoot:

IMG_5642.jpg

Last edited:

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Where does one purchase bowling pins? Bowling alley or bowling alley supply store perhaps?

Bowling alleys are the place I go. Many of the large franchise alleys recycle their pins and thus don't sell them to the public. The smaller 'mom and pop' businesses are your better bet. It's not always easy to find them. Use the phone to call around.

Some alleys cull through their pins in the fall, just before winter league play begins, so now is a good time to check around.

I've had people ask for $1-5 per pin. I've never paid more than $2 per pin myself. If you're real fortunate, you might find an alley that has closed and is willing to sell the pins off cheaply. Good luck! :ar15:

Streakyzero

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    Shelbyville
    The PVC stands in the pics are the same ones I built and use they are great! If you need to weight them dow njust put some water or dirt in the pipe! Cheap Too!!

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    PVC Target Stands

343n7km.jpg

I built the PVC stands in the picture above. They're very simple to construct.

Materials
    1 piece of 1.5" PVC, 10 feet long
    4 - 1.5" PVC Elbows
    2 - 1.5" PVC Tees
    PVC primer and cement
    2x4x8 stud

1. Cut the 10' PVC into 8 pieces, each 15" long.
    2. Glue the pieces together
    3. Drill four 3/8" holes in the bottom of the stand tubes to drain any rainwater that gets in.
    4. Cut two pieces from the 1.5" side of the 2x4 about 3/8" thick (have to use trial and error) until the sticks will fit down into the PVC upright. They can be any length you desire. Mine are 6' long. These pieces are sacrificial and will need to be replaced if they get too shot up.
    5. Attach the target backer any way you like. I used stainless bolts and wing nuts with fender washers to keep the bolts from pulling through.

Have fun shooting! :ar15:

Last edited:

wag1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    Indianapolis
    This is an adjustable PVC stand that my Dad designed based upon my input, and I ended up putting together. It is collapsible for easy storage and transport, yet can expand to 4 feet or so for shotgun patterning. Just a few quick bolt changes and you're good to go. If you're interested I'll try to look for the original drawings. It uses 1x posts that are cheap to replace in case you shoot them though I never have. Use staples or binder clips to mount targets.

TargetStandwithTargets.jpg

2008-08-060006901.jpg

2008-08-060006896.jpg

2008-08-060006898.jpg

Top Bottom