• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    I copied this from m4carbine.net. Enjoy!

When I worked at Beretta we had a very interesting cop gun maintenance issue come up. A sheriff's department in one of the Carolinas sent a 90-series pistol back to us with a nasty letter from the Sheriff. The gun was issued to a deputy and when he showed up for annual qualification, the gun didn't work. The trigger wouldn't move, the safety lever wouldn't move, the slide couldn't be retracted, the magazine couldn't be removed ... it was like the pistol was a block of stone.

The Sheriff blamed Beretta, saying that there must be something wrong with the finish that reacted to some cleaning solvent.

First, I brought the gun to our gunsmiths. They looked at it and couldn't get it apart or get any moving parts working. So next, I brought it to the training director, who worked for me. He and I called the Sheriff to figure out if they'd used some WD40 drained from a patrol car as lube or something.

While we're on the phone, one of the gunsmiths ran into the office with the frame of the gun. They finally had to pound it apart with a mallet. There's this dry white film covering every single inch of the interior.

"It almost looks like someone superglued the gun," I said joking.

After a pause, the Sheriff says, "Well, ole Joe is going through a pretty nasty divorce ..."

Yup. Ole Joe's (now ex-) wife had injected superglue into every hole, crevice ... every opening she could find. And she'd done it eight months ago. This guy had been on patrol, on calls, on the street with a bookend for eight months.

His wife was charged with attempted murder.
    Attitude is everything!

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Just as bad, my best friends wife took a crow bar to his 70' Challenger during their divorce

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I'm sorry I'm missing this. Did the officer carry it chamber empty all the time? I'm not getting it. I'm trying to think of a time I was carrying that I didn't at least check the pistol has one in the pipe. A slide press is required before putting it in the holster. Wow. I'm just floored that it is possible over EIGHT months.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I'm sorry I'm missing this. Did the officer carry it chamber empty all the time? I'm not getting it. I'm trying to think of a time I was carrying that I didn't at least check the pistol has one in the pipe. A slide press is required before putting it in the holster. Wow. I'm just floored that it is possible over EIGHT months.

I'm the same way, I check for a loaded chamber every morning, and again every night. I know nothing changed during the day or over night, but it certainly can't hurt.

I also clean my pistols every 3 weeks, or after each range trip, whichever comes first. Usually it's a simple wipe down, light coat of oil where necessary, reassemble and go.

I get the feeling there are a lot of officers who wouldn't carry a gun if it wasn't required by their department. This individual is one of them I suspect.

Regarding Crowbar vs '70 Challenger, while that completely sucks, it's unlikely to get you killed. Having a duty gun that's super glued into a brick when you're a police officer is a bit worse in my opinion.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Regarding Crowbar vs '70 Challenger, while that completely sucks, it's unlikely to get you killed. Having a duty gun that's super glued into a brick when you're a police officer is a bit worse in my opinion.

I think it's a bit disingenuous to charge her with attempted murder without also charging him with attempted suicide.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I think it's a bit disingenuous to charge her with attempted murder without also charging him with attempted suicide.

You have a good point. He should definitely be reprimanded in some form for not taking care of his firearm.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I'm not saying the a police offeces gun not working isn't worse but I also agree he should have know long before 8 months so I don't feel to sorry for him. Just another news story at that point.

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    snip>>
    I get the feeling there are a lot of officers who wouldn't carry a gun if it wasn't required by their department. This individual is one of them I suspect.

<<snip>>

I have a couple of LEO friends. One is an FFL that I frequent for transfers and general gun talk. The other I call for title work on vehicles....this one has stated that he doesn't really care to have the gun at all, and when he retires he plans to get rid of it.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Forget checking his chamber, this means that he hasn't PRACTICED in 8 months either! Sheesh!

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    That's why you see all these guys on Cops go through an entire magazine and not hit anything he's aiming for.

Top Bottom