• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    First of all, I'm going to school in IL (:noway:). Anyways, I found a good deal on a Sig 556 at a local shop here. He said I need to have it transferred to an IN FFL. He didn't sound 100% sure so I just wanted to check on this and make sure I couldn't skip that whole process and just walk out with it. Any sources would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

homeless

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    indy
    I don't know about the transfer, however AFAIK as an out of state res you cannot get an IL FOID and thus cannot possess the rifle. If you were planning on bringing it back to Indiana then you might as well buy it here.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    as an indiana resident you can purchase any long gun in IL, and walk out with it right then if you pass the NICS check.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    Are you talking a handgun, superstorm?
    My understanding is a handgun has to be transfered to an FFL in Indiana.
    The rifles I've bought in IL I carried out of the gunshop after the 24 hour wait.

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    From what I am gathering it looks like IL law is so screwed up in that department that there is no general consensus among gun shops...I'll just have him send it to an FFL back home if that's what he wants to do.

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    From what I am gathering it looks like IL law is so screwed up in that department that there is no general consensus among gun shops...I'll just have him send it to an FFL back home if that's what he wants to do.

Will it still be a good deal after shipping + transfer fees?

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Will it still be a good deal after shipping + transfer fees?

$1,100 not including that, so yeah I think it would still be a good deal.
    Also comes with a $250 light/laser foregrip until Friday.
    I wouldn't be bothering with buying this in IL if it weren't such a good deal.

I'm going to call him tomorrow morning to talk a little more about finding out for sure.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    You can buy a long gun at an FFL in IL as an IN resident. I know you don't need an FOID.

ETA:
    Any resident of Iowa, Missouri, Indiana, Wisconsin or Kentucky, or a non-resident with a valid non-resident hunting license, who is 18 years of age or older and who is not prohibited by the laws of Illinois, the state of his domicile, or the United States from obtaining, possessing or using a firearm, may purchase or obtain a rifle, shotgun or ammunition for a rifle or shotgun in Illinois. A non-resident who qualifies to possess a firearm under one of the above-listed exceptions may also purchase ammunition.
    and also

Any seller is required to withhold delivery of any handgun for 72 hours, and of any rifle or shotgun for 24 hours, after the buyer and seller reach an agreement to purchase a firearm. The waiting period does not apply to a buyer who is a dealer, law enforcement officer, or a nonresident at a gun show recognized by the Illinois Department of State Police.
    So it looks like you need to wait the 24hrs to pick it up, but it is completely legal to do so.

Last edited:

dyerwatcher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Colorado
    Mega Sports in Plainfield IL told me last week (As an Indiana Resident) I could purchase a long gun, wait 24 hours, pick it up and drive home.

For a handgun, they would have to ship it to an Indiana FFL.

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Thanks for the help guys. I probably could have *technically* bought it, waited, and walked out with it, but to make everything easier I am just having him ship it to an FFL in Lafayette.

He's ordering it today.
    Yes, I am completely stoked!!!:rockwoot:

Z-Glock23

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2010
    Highland,IN
    To the originial poster, what local shop did you see this at? I buy all my firearms from Pelchers Shooting Supply in Lansing. I know when I buy my handguns from there Larry (the owner who I am friends with) has them transfered to Debs Gun Range in Hammond. I even filled my paperwork out at Debs, just purchased at Pelchers. Haven't purchased a long gun from them yet, but will find out in a week or so haha. Hope this gives you some idea.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    To the originial poster, what local shop did you see this at? I buy all my firearms from Pelchers Shooting Supply in Lansing. I know when I buy my handguns from there Larry (the owner who I am friends with) has them transfered to Debs Gun Range in Hammond. I even filled my paperwork out at Debs, just purchased at Pelchers. Haven't purchased a long gun from them yet, but will find out in a week or so haha. Hope this gives you some idea.

:hijack:
    @Z-Glock23

There is an INGO NWI group (see link below) that may be on interest to you. We do quaterly meet & greets and are organizing some range group activities as well for 2010.
    INGunOwners - Northwest Indiana

marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    I think Fed law says us Hoosiers can buy a long gun in KY, IL, MI, and OH and walk right out. Cockamamie state laws and uninformed dealers may say otherwise.

Top Bottom