• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JDonhardt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    Are there any other gun friendly countries out there? I've heard that Sweden is gun friendly...

JDonhardt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    Sweden is not gun friendly at all. You have to join a club and pay for licenses and pass tests to be able to buy a gun, and they can take it away over minor offenses.

Maybe you're thinking of Switzerland.

I was thinking of Switzerland. I was reading up on it elsewhere on the internet and decided to post this thread. Apparently all able bodied males are REQUIRED to keep fully automatic battle rifles in their homes. The downside to this is that all of those males are "on call" for the military at any time. Although, the Swiss dont seem to fight many wars.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Sweden is not gun friendly at all. You have to join a club and pay for licenses and pass tests to be able to buy a gun, and they can take it away over minor offenses.

Maybe you're thinking of Switzerland.

Yes Sir, Switzerland is awesome. Check this INGO Thread great video.

tuoder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Meridian-Kessler, Indianapolis
    I was thinking of Switzerland. I was reading up on it elsewhere on the internet and decided to post this thread. Apparently all able bodied males are REQUIRED to keep fully automatic battle rifles in their homes. The downside to this is that all of those males are "on call" for the military at any time. However, the Swiss dont seem to fight many wars.

They have a militia-based military defense. Opinion is growing that the system is obsolete. EU membership is going to tighten up gun laws over there considerably.

WIZZO499

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    So, other than Switzerland (which sounds like won't last long) we're the best?

Does that scare the hell out of anyone else?

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I read on THR that Germany is pretty gun friendly. You have to do a load of paperwork first then it's pretty open. My understanding is that the UN is working hard for all of Europe to be gun free. They already have England, who goes next?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    They are likely to sign the Schengen treaty.

They've already signed the Schengen agreement and have many treaties with other nations regarding interpretations of EU laws, but they're NOT likely to join the EU anytime soon. They've had a pending application since 1992. The citizenry of Switzerland voted AGAINST abiding by the laws of the EU wholesale, hence the need for many complicated treaties with the member nations of the EU without actually joining. Where Switzerland HAS already adopted a lot of the platforms of the EU, it's still not likely to abide all or even most of them. For instance, despite being used unofficially, the euro is NOT legal tender in Switzerland. Swiss currency is, and remains, the Swiss franc. They're not likely to cede as much sovereignty to the EU as other member nations have, in the least. Switzerland, of all nations, understands sovereignty best, I should think, and thus it is very reluctant to cede too much of it to other nations...

I'm pretty sure the Swiss are sighing in relief that they still have their own national - and not supra-national - currency, given how poorly the euro's been doing lately with Greece's recent semi-collapse and impending self-implosion. I don't think the Swiss - who are perhaps our closest cousins with regard to firearms law - are anywhere close to giving up their long-enjoyed right to bear arms.

In their former voting process of Landsgemeinde, in order to enter the public square to vote, one must show proof of citizenship - one's Swiss rifle being that proof, in many cases.

:twocents:

We'll see how things progress, but as it stands, Switzerland is NOT a full-fledged member of the EU, despite its ad-hoc treaties with those nations.

Last edited:

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    Yes Sir, Switzerland is awesome. Check this INGO Thread great video.

That's a cool vid. From the bumper stickers in that man's gun cabinet you would have thought you were looking at a cabinet here in the states. I also enjoyed the part about the target shooting festival, how it was family oriented, and how ammo was provided by the government! :rockwoot:

tuoder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Meridian-Kessler, Indianapolis
    They've already signed the Schengen agreement and have many treaties with other nations regarding interpretations of EU laws, but they're NOT likely to join the EU anytime soon. They've had a pending application since 1992. The citizenry of Switzerland voted AGAINST abiding by the laws of the EU wholesale, hence the need for many complicated treaties with the member nations of the EU without actually joining. Where Switzerland HAS already adopted a lot of the platforms of the EU, it's still not likely to abide all or even most of them. For instance, despite being used unofficially, the euro is NOT legal tender in Switzerland. Swiss currency is, and remains, the Swiss franc. They're not likely to cede as much sovereignty to the EU as other member nations have, in the least. Switzerland, of all nations, understands sovereignty best, I should think, and thus it is very reluctant to cede too much of it to other nations...

I'm pretty sure the Swiss are sighing in relief that they still have their own national - and not supra-national - currency, given how poorly the euro's been doing lately with Greece's recent semi-collapse and impending self-implosion. I don't think the Swiss - who are perhaps our closest cousins with regard to firearms law - are anywhere close to giving up their long-enjoyed right to bear arms.

In their former voting process of Landsgemeinde, in order to enter the public square to vote, one must show proof of citizenship - one's Swiss rifle being that proof, in many cases.

:twocents:

We'll see how things progress, but as it stands, Switzerland is NOT a full-fledged member of the EU, despite its ad-hoc treaties with those nations.

I wasn't aware of all of that. I suppose we'll see how it works out. Down the road, I don't see it getting better, but I hope so.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I see in the Middle Esat on the TV News they carry alot of guns............in Mexico too, don't need no stinking rules it looks like to me?!?

Plenty of guns

SigSense

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    Last time I was in Bulgaria (2001) I spoke to some of their troops about gun ownership. Seemed that country had pretty reasonable laws, and that all Bulgarian citizens of legal age have the right to own firearms if one has not been charged with a serious crime and is psychologically healthy.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I do not know of another country where non-permanent residents can buy pistols and rifles, carry them, and not do more paperwork than buying a house.

Pretty much nailed it there.

If one of us, as an American Citizen, were to move to another country, even Switzerland, it would be nigh on impossible for us to even THINK about it.

Even if we were to renounce our American citizenship and then work towards it in our new Country, which, again, is very difficult,...it'd still be a long and arduous row to hoe.

Case in point: Immigration law in Switzerland is very very strict. VERY strict. It's generally cost and time prohibitive...and that's the point. THEY don't want "outsiders".

-J-

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Pretty much nailed it there.

If one of us, as an American Citizen, were to move to another country, even Switzerland, it would be nigh on impossible for us to even THINK about it.

Even if we were to renounce our American citizenship and then work towards it in our new Country, which, again, is very difficult,...it'd still be a long and arduous row to hoe.

Case in point: Immigration law in Switzerland is very very strict. VERY strict. It's generally cost and time prohibitive...and that's the point. THEY don't want "outsiders".

-J-

Actually, their immigration laws are similar to ours.

Their CITIZENSHIP laws, however, upon which ALMOST ALL of their enumerated rights are contigent, are EXTREMELY strict. Which is, as you said, because they do NOT give out citizenship (RIGHTS) to just anyone. Their rate of Muslim immigration is far lower than the rest of Europe, with reason.

By referendum, they've also banned the construction of minarets, a style of constructed tower almost-unique to Islam. They took a LOT of flak over that by the muslim world, but they're still standing their ground. They, of all Europe, understand that Islam is NOT a religion of peace.

I consider them cousins in the same way, if not in a more intimate way, that I consider Canada. And I've been to Canada, interned with their parliament... aside from using the Westminster system and being a little liberal, Canadians are just fine people.

But the Swiss definitely kick the rumps of Canadians with regard to alignment with American attitude regarding sovereignty, gun rights, immigration reform, sanctity of citizenship, and many things besides... they were one of the world's first true direct democracies in modern times... the only other example I can think of at the moment being Ancient Greece. Granted, they've gradually done away with the direct voting, as it is now limited to but two cantons, but the fact that they even attempted it - much less used the system for YEARS provincially - amazes me. Imagine going to your Civic Center, showing your government-issued M1 Garand, entering a cordoned-off area, and voting on issues by a count of hands raised. That's pretty much how they did things for more than a century. Even today, they hold sovereignty and federalism - the notion of two governments - very seriously and in high regard. In fact, the true name of Switzerland is the Swiss Confederation (Confoederatio Helvetica). A confederation of cantons. Beautiful.

May God bless America.

:patriot:

And may God bless Switzerland.

Top Bottom