Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    Do you really think trying to arrest a former President of the United States would be a good move on anybody's part? Former President Bush has Secret Service protection for 8 more years, I believe. Do you think his protective detail would allow him to be arrested?

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Do you really think trying to arrest a former President of the United States would be a good move on anybody's part? Former President Bush has Secret Service protection for 8 more years, I believe. Do you think his protective detail would allow him to be arrested?

Well I can't really comment about how smart the Swiss are in approaching situations that have never happened before. I believe that the law and due process should apply to everyone, even U.S. presidents. If Bush and his Secret Service believe in obeying the law, they wouldn't try to get in a firefight with Swiss police acting within their own borders. They would do the proper thing and buy their way out of it at the police station.

ghostinthewood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Washington, IN
    Well, Geneva Switzerland would be the correct place to arrest and try him for said alleged crimes.....
    Wouldn't it? I don't know how I feel about this jazz. I disagreed with it all, and I definitely opposed Bush on most things, but this seems funky. However, it'd be very very very ironic if he was arrested in Geneva.

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    I wonder if they have an arrest warrant for Obama too. Or did we end torture? Did I miss something?

Meh, they can have them both.

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    I wonder if they have an arrest warrant for Obama too. Or did we end torture? Did I miss something?

Meh, they can have them both.

Actually, it would have to be at least 3. Extraordinary Rendition started with Clinton, was used by "W", and continued with Obama. So if "W" is arrested, to be fair, they would have to come for Slick Willie and Barry Hussein. I see no difference between us doing it at Gitmo, or us flying them to Egypt , and letting them do the dirty (er) work. (I'm pretty sure that the treatment was substantially rougher in Egypt than at Gitmo)

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    "Bush cancels trip to Switzerland because of warrant for his arrest"

Once again Rambone makes a subject line that is false, misleading, an outright lie and generally full of total crap just so he can get more attention. Swiss authorities have already made it clear that they had no intention of arresting President Bush and said he has immunity for any actions in office.

It's just left wing whackos (like those you see here) who threatened violent protests that prompted President Bush to not have the speech.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    "Bush cancels trip to Switzerland because of warrant for his arrest"

Once again Rambone makes a subject line that is false, misleading, an outright lie and generally full of total crap just so he can get more attention. Swiss authorities have already made it clear that they had no intention of arresting President Bush and said he has immunity for any actions in office.

I only get paid if my threads reach 100 posts or more. Work with me here, Tim.

Seriously though, this was mainstream news today covered by multiple sources; headlining about a warrant for his arrest. The threat of arrest seemed to play a part in the decision-making process for the former president.

Maybe now we should discuss the validity of those charges.

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    I only get paid if my threads reach 100 posts or more. Work with me here, Tim.

Seriously though, this was mainstream news today covered by multiple sources; headlining about a warrant for his arrest. The threat of arrest seemed to play a part in the decision-making process for the former president.

Maybe now we should discuss the validity of those charges.

I had to work yesterday, so what "mainstream news" organizations said he didn't go because the Swiss were going to arrest him?
    No, we don't need to discuss it just because you made up a false headline.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Looks like Rambone just used the title that was in the news story. Unless he is the one that wrote the news story for the International Business Times I do not see the problem with the title of this thread.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    It was several human right groups asking Swiss prosecutors to open a criminal investigation.

Sherzer declined to comment on why the trip was cancelled. (Bush's spokesperson)

The Center for Constitutional Rights claims he canceled to avoid their case.

An initial Swiss Justice Ministry assessment eluded to the idea that he would enjoy immunity for any actions that took place while he was in office.

My opinion, water boarding is torture (Ask anyone who has taken a SERE course)

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    Everything is justified, we are fighting TERRORISM, People!!!
    Fighting or supporting terrorism? If their objective is to destory our freedom, then our government is doing the work for them. If nothing else, we'll go bankrupt paying for both sides of this fight.

ghostinthewood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Washington, IN

It's just left wing whackos (like those you see here) who threatened violent protests that prompted President Bush to not have the speech.
    Left wind whackos? Indiana is generally a pretty conservative state. Add to that gun owners forums are generally super conservative and I doubt we truly have any "left wing whackos" here....

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    It was several human right groups asking Swiss prosecutors to open a criminal investigation.

Sherzer declined to comment on why the trip was cancelled. (Bush's spokesperson)

The Center for Constitutional Rights claims he canceled to avoid their case.

An initial Swiss Justice Ministry assessment eluded to the idea that he would enjoy immunity for any actions that took place while he was in office.

My opinion, water boarding is torture (Ask anyone who has taken a SERE course)

I am kind of on the fence about water boarding honestly. I read a book about military interrogators and the book seemed to imply that anything we do to our own men we can do to our prisoners. They used this to justify sleep deprivation methods. The interrogators would stay in the room with the prisoner basically as long as they could stay awake. When the interrogator couldn't go anymore, the prisoner was allowed to sleep. Technically I don't know if this would work for water boarding though because of the fact that water boarding is a technique that is used to train special ops divers, not interrogators lol.

Here is a link to the book:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Interrogators-Force-Americas-Secret-Against/dp/0316011533/ref=tmm_pap_title_0]Amazon.com: The Interrogators: Task Force 500 and America's Secret War Against Al Qaeda (9780316011532): Chris Mackey, Greg Miller: Books[/ame]

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    I am kind of on the fence about water boarding honestly. I read a book about military interrogators and the book seemed to imply that anything we do to our own men we can do to our prisoners. They used this to justify sleep deprivation methods. The interrogators would stay in the room with the prisoner basically as long as they could stay awake. When the interrogator couldn't go anymore, the prisoner was allowed to sleep. Technically I don't know if this would work for water boarding though because of the fact that water boarding is a technique that is used to train special ops divers, not interrogators lol.

Here is a link to the book:

Amazon.com: The Interrogators: Task Force 500 and America's Secret War Against Al Qaeda (9780316011532): Chris Mackey, Greg Miller: Books

The SERE portion of water boarding is to give those in special forces a taste of what may happen to them, and the stress of being captured. It is intended to condition those elite forces to be able to escape, and not have a mental breakdown. The difference in my mind between interrogation applications, and the SERE class, is that special forces apply for the programs. They can drop during SERE at any time.

We learned water boarding from the North Vietnamese as a form of torture for interrogation purposes.

We redefined it as "Enhanced Interrogation Techniques" to enable us to skirt the definition of torture. It is basically a verbal loophole.

If we should be permitted to torture for information I think is an opinion in itself, but in my mind water boarding being torture is a fact.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    The SERE portion of water boarding is to give those in special forces a taste of what may happen to them, and the stress of being captured. It is intended to condition those elite forces to be able to escape, and not have a mental breakdown. The difference in my mind between interrogation applications, and the SERE class, is that special forces apply for the programs. They can drop during SERE at any time.

We learned water boarding from the North Vietnamese as a form of torture for interrogation purposes.

We redefined it as "Enhanced Interrogation Techniques" to enable us to skirt the definition of torture. It is basically a verbal loophole.

If we should be permitted to torture for information I think is an opinion in itself, but in my mind water boarding being torture is a fact.
    And people fighting against American soldiers do so voluntarily and can stop any time they want as well so what is your point?

Top Bottom