• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    This is a key example of how foreign interventionism always seems to bite us in the ass. The United States spent millions of dollars to provide Afghan schoolchildren with violent, jihadist textbooks. This occurred back in the 1980s, when the Soviets were trying to expand their empire, Osama Bin Laden was our buddy and getting trained by the CIA, the U.S. was giving BILLIONS to Al Qaeda.

From U.S., the ABC's of Jihad
    In the twilight of the Cold War, the United States spent millions of dollars to supply Afghan schoolchildren with textbooks filled with violent images and militant Islamic teachings, part of covert attempts to spur resistance to the Soviet occupation.

The primers, which were filled with talk of jihad and featured drawings of guns, bullets, soldiers and mines, have served since then as the Afghan school system's core curriculum. Even the Taliban used the American-produced books, though the radical movement scratched out human faces in keeping with its strict fundamentalist code.
    USA prints textbooks to support Jihad in Afghanistan and Pakistan | Support Daniel Boyd's Blog
    afgh-textbook-jihad.jpg

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Here's more about how the U.S. was for terrorism, before it was against it. The U.S. government created and funded Al Qaeda. Osama bin Laden himself was a CIA asset.

THIS IS WHY WE MUST BANKRUPT OURSELVES ON WAR AND BECOME A POLICE STATE.

Who is Osama Bin Laden? | BBC News
    "...Bin Laden left Saudi Arabia in 1979 to fight against the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. The Afghan jihad was backed with American dollars and had the blessing of the governments of Saudi Arabia and Pakistan. He received security training from the CIA itself."

Who Is Osama Bin Laden? | Forbes
    "...[Osama bin Laden] received military and financial assistance from the intelligence services of Saudi Arabia, Pakistan and the United States."

Osama Bin Laden: Profile of a Terror Leader | ABC News
    "In the 1980s, bin Laden left his comfortable Saudi home for Afghanistan to participate in the Afghan jihad, or holy war, against the invading forces of the Soviet Union - a cause that, ironically, the United States funded, pouring $3 billion into the Afghan resistance via the CIA."

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I won't argue that the US provided written material as well as arms to stiffen the Afghans in their struggle against the Soviets. And any weapon can be turned against anyone else. But Jihad wasn't a concept that had to be taught to the Afghans - and it isn't what motivates them today. As for Bin Laden and his motivations, I giggled "Osama Bin Laden Al Qaeda and got this:

http://www.adl.org/terrorism_america/bin_l.asp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    I won't argue that the US provided written material as well as arms to stiffen the Afghans in their struggle against the Soviets. And any weapon can be turned against anyone else. But Jihad wasn't a concept that had to be taught to the Afghans - and it isn't what motivates them today. As for Bin Laden and his motivations, I giggled "Osama Bin Laden Al Qaeda and got this:

Osama bin Laden: Profile

lold.jpg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    I was going to correct that, then said "what the heck" and left it the way it was. Your reaction was all I could have hoped for :))

I figure a bit of happiness and laughter was a better response than "LOOK AT THE LOSER WHO CAIN'T SPELLZ WORDIES COReCTLY!?" :):

The thread may now return to its regularly scheduled debating. Threadjack over :D

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Here's another page out of the jihad textbooks.

551114_395839633767666_1750724915_n.jpg

Once again, Rambone, you're whipping a dead horse. Yes, we provided some assistance to various factions fighting the Soviets in Afghanistan. That's no secret. You really haven't "uncovered" anything. But the term "jihad" is purely Islamic. It existed long before any of us ever came along.

(Psst: Rumor has it that we also funded Saddam Hussein and, even Ho Chi Minh, back when it seemed to be serving our interests.)

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Once again, Rambone, you're whipping a dead horse. Yes, we provided some assistance to various factions fighting the Soviets in Afghanistan. That's no secret. You really haven't "uncovered" anything. But the term "jihad" is purely Islamic. It existed long before any of us ever came along.

(Psst: Rumor has it that we also funded Saddam Hussein and, even Ho Chi Minh, back when it seemed to be serving our interests.)

Rumor has it that our foreign policy keeps the same course decade after decade. Which is why we need to understand long-term effects of the CIA's meddling actions overseas.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I wish the CIA had never existed. I wish this country wouldn't send anyone from the government outside of our borders to attempt to influence other countries. If we would have followed that path just think of how wonderful it would be living in the communist United States AKA USSR West.

We should never assist any other countries to fend off tyranny, dictatorships, or communism because some day they may decide they don't like us anymore. Fighting the good fight is wrong.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    This is sickening for sure, especially if you buy into the fact that these were sweet innocent children that the CIA brainwashed into becoming suicide bombers. The war itself was probably--hopefully--more to blame for the jihadist movement (it certainly was the trigger).

If these books alone really were responsible for raising up an entire generation of suicide bombers though, that means that grade school teaching is FAR more profound to human development than I ever would have considered. Or maybe only extreme poverty mixed with these books was like a powder keg, which would be hard to predict. Who knows how much affect the images had--I grew up watching GI Joe, so I doubt it is much different.

I am a little concerned though. If the CIA meant to turn a generation of children into religious fanatics, and they succeeded so well that these children are now a world wide menace, then this is the most astounding case of mass brainwashing that has ever occurred! And if that is true, then what are they doing to our children now by preaching that burning fossil fuels is destroying the planet? Are we going to live like Mad Max twenty years from now, because our youths blow up every oil and coal plant on earth???

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Which ones? Honest question. I'm admittedly not a big history buff but I'm unaware of any countries or empires which have thrived for hundreds of years unchanged.
    I thought it was understood that we were saying the opposite of what we meant. I wanted to join you.

Translation: No empire lasts forever, and this one is stretched thin and spent broke. But even now, its hard to let go of the policies that put us here.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Some? Can I borrow some money? BTW, that's about $20 Billion (in 1989 money)
    :D

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    I wish the CIA had never existed. I wish this country wouldn't send anyone from the government outside of our borders to attempt to influence other countries. If we would have followed that path just think of how wonderful it would be living in the communist United States AKA USSR West.

We should never assist any other countries to fend off tyranny, dictatorships, or communism because some day they may decide they don't like us anymore. Fighting the good fight is wrong.

Dubious, unless you believe that communism is historically inevitable, rather than a perversion of human society. I reject that Marxian notion of the dialectic, but plenty of non-Marxists apparently believe in it.

The Soviets couldn't manage their empire as it was. If we hadn't opposed, their domain would have been larger and even more unmanageable. Not injecting ourselves into every third-world bush war does not mean we would have necessarily weakened our position.

George Washington was right then and now. :twocents:

Top Bottom