Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Secession? No, Give Federalism A Try

Professor Glenn Reynolds, University of Tennessee, School of Law, puts the kybosh to the silly secession chatter and gets to the heart of the matter: the federal government does too much, return to the Constitution.

We are off the map and headed for parts unknown at great loss of many things, time to dig the map out of the glove box.

Column: A solution to secession fever -- federalism
    Pants up, do get a job!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman View Post
    Professor Glenn Reynolds, University of Tennessee, School of Law, puts the kybosh to the silly secession chatter and gets to the heart of the matter: the federal government does too much, return to the Constitution.

We are off the map and headed for parts unknown at great loss of many things, time to dig the map out of the glove box.

Column: A solution to secession fever -- federalism
    At this point do you expect the federal government to yield the powers it has aggrandized unto itself?
    Would you again describe what you saw as you saw the defendant carrying this owl?--Ballard v. State, 1974

Shooter
    I like it but fear the only way to get the central gov. to relinquish it's control is to first dissolve it via secession or some other similar method. Those with power don't tend to give it up willingly.

Ya gotta like those guys from Tennessee
    ن

At this point do you expect the federal government to yield the powers it has aggrandized unto itself?
    Not after the recent election, no I do not.
    Pants up, do get a job!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman View Post
    Not after the recent election, no I do not.
    I'm not sure many would be content with the manner the states would choose to govern themselves without the Feds' meddling.
    ن

That is the flaw in this idea. Most of us would be happy with true Federalism but I don't see the Washington machine having ANY incentive to give up any of the power and control it has gained. On the contrary I see the Fed looking to continue on the current path leading to a near totalitarian end.
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem." - RR

Quote Originally Posted by cobber View Post
    The federal government was never intended by the Founding Fathers to police itself. The states have the policing authority under the Tenth Amendment and nullification is what the process is called. Since 2006, states have "nullified" the Real Id Act and the NAIS. These unconstitutional laws were nevel repealed at the federal level yet so many states banned the implementation of the two laws within their borders that they were rendered ineffective. The states are begining to nullify ObamaCare too. Anyone ever heard of Thomas Jefferson and the Kentucky Resolutions?

Jefferson’s Arguments for Nullification and Limited Government – Tenth Amendment Center
    Last edited by Bobby; 11-19-2012 at 15:28.

Plinker
    this is great as long as they don't mention gun.

Didnt we give federalism a try. That's when people solved their differences with duels.

Society is so much better now than back then. Now I can just use swating to solve my problems because I am a coward.
    ...they may take our lives, but they'll never take... OUR FREEDOM!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast