It's a little easier to understand when you can see it in a list......Rx drugs..

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ArmedRPh

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Full Disclosure: I'm a gun owner and a pharmacist...as if ArmedRPh didn't give it away.

So like the anti-2A people who are looking for a commonality (i.e. they had an "assault rifle"), articles like this are selecting out a single data point (SSRIs) and making or at least leading to causality. I'll take the implied link of SSRIs and violence one step farther and say that all the people on this list also had a mental disorder (or were misdiagnosed with one). All posts like this do it vilify something else instead of the gun and play the same game the anti-2A people are playing.

What's the point? If someone is on an SSRI do we take their guns away? How about we do it if they have EVER been on them (parents divorce back when I was a teen caused me some trouble for a time but I'm better 20 years later OR had some anxiety issues due to a divorce so doc prescribed me something to calm my nerves OR a vet came back from The Suck with a touch of PTSD, he's now treated and back to baseline). Should all of these examples lead to a no-go for guns in the future? Who makes the decision? How is it tracked?

I'm not going after the OP, but this nation wide circle-jerk of the blame game really needs to stop so that the calmer heads can come up with a feasible, logical and fair solution.

Rant off.

Liberty1911

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Full Disclosure: I'm a gun owner and a pharmacist...as if ArmedRPh didn't give it away.

So like the anti-2A people who are looking for a commonality (i.e. they had an "assault rifle"), articles like this are selecting out a single data point (SSRIs) and making or at least leading to causality. I'll take the implied link of SSRIs and violence one step farther and say that all the people on this list also had a mental disorder (or were misdiagnosed with one). All posts like this do it vilify something else instead of the gun and play the same game the anti-2A people are playing.

What's the point? If someone is on an SSRI do we take their guns away? How about we do it if they have EVER been on them (parents divorce back when I was a teen caused me some trouble for a time but I'm better 20 years later OR had some anxiety issues due to a divorce so doc prescribed me something to calm my nerves OR a vet came back from The Suck with a touch of PTSD, he's now treated and back to baseline). Should all of these examples lead to a no-go for guns in the future? Who makes the decision? How is it tracked?

I'm not going after the OP, but this nation wide circle-jerk of the blame game really needs to stop so that the calmer heads can come up with a feasible, logical and fair solution.

Rant off.

Or parents could start actually doing the hard work of parenting, instead of parenting from a bottle.

gunner69

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Anderson
    I don't see the point of it. Literally millions of Americans are on antidepressants and don't go on shooting rampages. Replacing the blame on guns with pills does nothing.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County

Rant off.

The point is that guns existed before all this stuff, but the mass school shootings didn't start until almost immediately after Prozac was approved for teenagers.

Last edited:

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    actually, there were school shootings documented in the days of muzzle loading muskets. a friend of mine had posted it a few days back with valid source links. they shot their teacher

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    The function of Anti-depressants is to make people feel better. The problem is that elevating them from their depression often brings them into a dangerous place where they are still somewhat depressed but now they have enough "energy" to go hurt themselves (or others). I'm not a shrink but I know they are particularly worried about patients coming out of depression for this exact reason. I would imagine that withdrawal, ie going back down but not so low that they are not up for much of anything would be about the same.

And, as above, millions of people on anti-depressants that never shoot anyone. Blame on the drug (properly used)is probably misplaced.

The second problem with anti-depressants is that people who are bipolar can take anti-depressants to propagate their manic phase. This is an abuse of the drug by people who are clearly not "right." Wouldn't surprise me if at least a few of these cases might end up in this category.

Finally, every drug has side effects that are experienced only by a few. Do we take away a drug class that benefits millions to prevent the occasional reaction--even if I believed these shootings were caused by the drugs and not coincidental to persons with mental illness doing something crazy... I would have to ask is that is a wise decision. That would be like say, taking guns away from millions of people that they help and that use them responsibly to prevent the occasional tragedy....

Liberty1911

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    And, as above, millions of people on anti-depressants that never shoot anyone. Blame on the drug (properly used)is probably misplaced.

Millions of people drink and drive without killing anyone also, but 100% of drunk driving deaths are caused by alcohol. I'm not suggesting this is 100% analogous, but this is the point people are trying to make on the issue. Doping kids up and turning them loose is similar to putting a drunk behind the wheel.

Finally, every drug has side effects that are experienced only by a few. Do we take away a drug class that benefits millions to prevent the occasional reaction--even if I believed these shootings were caused by the drugs and not coincidental to persons with mental illness doing something crazy... I would have to ask is that is a wise decision. That would be like say, taking guns away from millions of people that they help and that use them responsibly to prevent the occasional tragedy....

No, we don't take them away for the same reason we don't ban alcohol since millions of people use it responsibly.

However, a good place to start would be stop using drugs as a solution for every behavior and anxiety problem kids have. It's called life, and they need to learn how to cope without living out of a bottle.

True cases of mental illness could still be treated, but in that case, those kids need to be in a more controlled environment. In other words, don't put them behind the wheel and endanger the rest of us.

ArmedRPh

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    The point is that guns existed before all this stuff, but the mass school shootings didn't start until almost immediately after Prozac was approved for teenagers.

Which if I remember was about the same time that realistic first person shooter games started to become popular as well. The drug wars started to take off. New Coke was introduced. See how you can keep playing this game??

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    Read the side effects on antidepressants...teenage brains and young adult brains are wired different than mature adults...I do believe these drugs cause a problem...but I also believe that mental health officials, parents and others around young adults and teen who use these drugs or have mental health issues should be more active in observing what these kids are doing...and should be held accountable if they leave guns with in their reach, I mean if you are a parent or room mate and someone you know who has mental health issues and are receiving tons of shipments for gun and ammo...you should get involved, professionals should be able to call the police when their clients are talking about shooting people...hell with their rights at that point. The cops also need to take reports of suspected insane people buying guns more serious. Instead of saying our hands are tied can't do anything about it until they hurt them self or someone else.
    Yes it does put some of us owning a gun at risk...but if you are mentally sound you should have nothing to worry about. Now this won't stop it all anyone can buy a gun off any street corner...but it might help put the spot light on the real issue of why most mass killings take place.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    So if we carry it forward, the mind space seems to be to disarm and make potential victims of violent crime out of some of the least able to protect and preserve their personal safety. Sounds like another knee jerk reaction that needs a whole lot of empirical study.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Psychotropic drugs, like any other drugs, help far more people than they harm. But unlike other drugs, their side effects can have a much larger impact on society. I don't want to sound cold, but it's a simple cost/benefit calculation; millions of people that take these drugs are more balanced and productive members of society vs a few who take them that flip out and harm themselves or other.

None of the mass shootings, either recent or distant past, can have a single cause attributed to them. In each case, a combination of factors pushed unbalanced people over the edge. If any single factor were removed from the equation, the outcome would probably been different.

Off topic, no point, just thinking...

As I think about the mass shootings that I can remember, the one that I can't get my head around at all is Columbine. What are the odds that two kids in a given high school, who happen to be friends, are equally effed in the head to plan, acquire the hardware, and carry out the plan, without either one getting cold feet or blabbing to someone ahead of time?

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Wow, people with severe mental and emotional problems are prescribed psych drugs.....who knew?

Well, exactly, psychotics take anti-psychotic drugs because someone saw their psychosis or symptoms of it. This is a true coincidence. They coincide because of the craziness, not necessarily the drug. People are making spurious associations.

OneShotFOGE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I sincerely doubt the drugs caused these people to go on these rampages. My thoughts are people who are just unbalanced are the ones who are most likely to snap and go postal. There is a correlation, as a result, of shooters and the drugs.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Prozac (fluoxetine) information from Drugs.com
    You may have thoughts about suicide when you first start taking an antidepressant, especially if you are younger than 24 years old. Your doctor will need to check you at regular visits for at least the first 12 weeks of treatment with Prozac.

Report any new or worsening symptoms to your doctor, such as: mood or behavior changes, anxiety, panic attacks, trouble sleeping, or if you feel impulsive, irritable, agitated, hostile, aggressive, restless, hyperactive (mentally or physically), more depressed, or have thoughts about suicide or hurting yourself.

Top Bottom