• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I like what the cop says "you could order up 100# of the it" considering that fed law limits possession to 50#. And the stuff is a form of black powder. Which you can buy at walmart. And for 100# would cost about $800, how much fertilizer and diesel could you get for that price? Or modern gun powder.

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    Three felonies on this guy is just another way to put controls on something that the Fed's fear, since it is completely legal in all 50 states, and doesn't even require a haz-mat fee to ship. I highly doubt that he will be convicted on anything, but I am sure that this case will be used to further someones political agenda.

I think I am going to place an order real soon.

bigg cheese

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    Just out of curiosity, I've read online that it takes "high velocity" rounds to set off. What exactly qualifies a round as "high velocity." I imagine I wouldn't want to be close enough for a handgun, but could I set off tannerite with it?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Just out of curiosity, I've read online that it takes "high velocity" rounds to set off. What exactly qualifies a round as "high velocity." I imagine I wouldn't want to be close enough for a handgun, but could I set off tannerite with it?

when i used it a few days ago my friend said it had to be 2800 fps of i wouldn't go off. i told him he was full of ___ and shot some with my 9mm. it turns out i didn't know what i was talking about because i just broke the container. he shot the ground where it had all spilled with my ar and it went boom.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I like what the cop says "you could order up 100# of the it" considering that fed law limits possession to 50#. And the stuff is a form of black powder. Which you can buy at walmart. And for 100# would cost about $800, how much fertilizer and diesel could you get for that price? Or modern gun powder.

I am not in a place to watch the video right now. Could you say more about the 50# limit? Where did you see that?

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality

Lawguns

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I really don't see what the guy did wrong. He was on his own property not his fault if the alarms at the nuke plant went off. I doubt that was his intention. As for possession more the 50# I bet a lot more then that is possessed at Knob Creek when they open up.
    Is that 50# per person? So if 4 of my friends and I got together could we posses 250#?

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    If I understand it correctly, black powder is considered a "low explosive", but if enough is put in a spot and properly tamped or stemed, then it behaves as a "high explosive". As stated above, there are certian limits as to how much you can have and store and use without permits/licenses for the possesion and use of such explosives, I'm thinking that this is where he got himself in trouble. I think after 9/11. that there where some changes of the law regarding explosives etc. One of them if I remember, dealt with black powder being considered a high explosive if over a certian amount (50 or 100#) was posessed, but I don't remember the ramifications of that were.

Besides that, it sure looked cool, didn't have the Hollywood ball of fire though.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Nothing to do with 9/11. The 50 lb. limit is a fairly old law. Black powder is regulated as an explosive, BUT, there is a sporting use exception in the law for not over 50 lbs. for certain sporting uses.

Industry Circular

Number: 75-22

Date: December 3, 1975

Department of the Treasury

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms

Washington, D.C. 20226

atfseal.gif

AMENDMENTS TO THE LAW AND REGULATIONS REGARDING BLACK POWDER AND CERTAIN IGNITERS
    Federal Firearms Licensees, Explosives Licensees and Permittees, and Others Concerned:
    Purpose. This circular provides information on amendments to the law and proposed amendments to the regulations regarding black powder and certain igniters, subsequent to Public Law 93-639, effective January 4, 1975.
    Background. Public Law 93-639 removed the exemption in 18 U.S.C. 845(a)(5) on black powder in amounts of five pounds or less, whether commercially or otherwise manufactured and regardless of its intended use. In lieu of the five pound exemp- tion, the amended law inserted an exemption on black powder in quantities of fifty pounds or less, percussion caps, safety and pyrotechnic fuses, quills, quick and slow matches, and friction primers; however, the new exemption is specifically restricted to (1) commercially manufactured black powder, and (2) black powder intended to be used solely for sporting, recreational, or cultural purposes in antique firearms, as defined in 18 U. S. C. 921(a)(16), or in antique devices, as exempted from the term "destructive device" in 18 U.S.C. 921( a)(4). 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(4) was also amended to add language exempting antiques such as muzzle-loading cannons used for sporting, recreational, or cul- tural purposes, from the definition of "destructive device".
    In commenting on the legislation, the House of Representatives, Committee on the Judiciary (Report No. 93-1570), which amended the original Senate bill, specifically addressed the issue of Treasury Department regulations that would be drafted to implement the bill. The Committee indicated that "retailers will be required to keep records of their sales of black powder under the new exemption". The Committee further expected that ATF "establish forms to require sporting users to identify themselves on purchase of black powder". In addition to the above conditions, the Com- mittee suggested that ATF could also "require that a purchaser- sportsman certify by affidavit that he intends to use the black powder for sporting, recreational or cultural purposes".
    Proposed Regulatory Amendments. Based on the foregoing Congressional expectations and recommendations, the Bureau published a notice of proposed rulemaking in the FEDERAL REGISTER for May 20, 1975. As a result of the numerous comments and suggestions received from sporting organizations, antique firearms enthusiasts, and interested persons, the Bureau has revised the original proposals and has prepared an amended notice of proposed rulemaking.
    Basically, under the new proposals the regulations in 27 CFR Parts 178 (Commerce in Firearms and Ammunition) and 181 (Commerce in Explosives) would be amended to reflect the following changes:
    1. Definition of "destructive device". The definition of "destructive device", found in Part 178, would be amended by the additon of language exempting antiques, such as small muzzle- loading cannons used for sporting, recreational, or cultural purposes, from the term "destructive device".
    2. Licensees. Under previous law, all black powder in amounts of five pounds or less was exempt from the provisions of law and regulations in Part 181. This meant that retailers were able to sell black powder in five pound quantities or less without being subject to licensing requirements. Since Public Law 93-639 requires a determination at the time of sale as to whether commercially manufactured black powder in amounts of fifty pounds or less is going to be used solely for sporting, recrea- tional, or cultural purposes, our proposed regulations would require the retailer to maintain records certifying that the pur- chaser intends to use the black powder in accordance with the provisions of the law. All retailers, of course, would need to be licensed in order for ATF to impose these recordkeeping requirements upon them. The dealer's license is a nominal fee of $20 initially and a $10 renewal fee every year thereafter. There would be no licensing requirements on dealers in percus- sion caps, safety and pyrotechnic fuses, quills, quick and slow matches, and friction primers.
    3. Permittees. Under current regulations in Part 181, a user permit is required in order to acquire explosive materials (except black powder in quantities of five pounds or less) in interstate or foreign commerce. This requirement would be modified so that it would not be necessary for a person to obtain a user permit, if he intends to receive in interstate or foreign commerce, commercially manufactured black powder in quantities not to exceed fifty pounds, percussion caps, safety and pyro- technic fuses, quills, quick and slow matches, and friction primers, to be used solely for sporting, recreational, or cultural purposes in antique firearms or in antique devices.
    4. Transaction record for black powder to be used in antique firearms and antique devices. The proposed regulations would require a licensed dealer selling commercially manu- factured black powder in quantities not to exceed fifty pounds to be used in antique firearms or in antique devices, to a non- licensee or nonpermittee, to record the transaction on proposed ATF Form 5400.3. No transaction record would be required for the purchase of percussion caps, safety and pyrotechnic fuses, quills, quick and slow matches, and friction primers by nonlicensees or nonpermittees. The executed Form 5400.3, signed by the purchaser and the dealer, would identify the purchaser (by name and address) and certify that the black powder purchased is intended to be used solely for sporting, recreational, or cultural purposes in antique firearms or in antique devices. The licensee would be required to main- tain the executed Form 5400.3 on his business premises available for inspection by ATF officers.
    Inquiries. Until specific regulations are promulgated, our only authority is the law. In the interim, any inquiries as to our requirements relating to black powder and igniters should be directed to your Regional Firearms and Explosives Coordi- nator. If you wish to obtain a copy of the proposed regulations, you may obtain it from your regional coordinator. The mailing addresses and phone numbers for the regional coordinators are:
    Central Region
    Room 6501,
    Federal Office Building
    550 Main Street
    Cincinnati, Ohio 45202
    (513) 684-3715
    Mid-Atlantic Region
    Room 334,
    2 Penn Center Plaza
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19102
    (215) 597-2220
    Midwest Region
    Room 1514,
    230 S. Dearborn Street
    Chicago, Illinois 60604
    (312) 353-3883
    North-Atlantic Region
    P.O. Box 15
    New York, New York 10008
    (212) 264-3993
    Southeast Region
    P.O. Box 2994
    Atlanta, Georgia 30301
    (404) 455-2675
    Southwest Region
    Main Tower, Room 345
    1200 Main Street
    Dallas, Texas 75202
    (214) 749-3280
    Western Region
    525 Market Street,
    34th Floor
    San Francisco, California 94105
    (415) 556-2610
    rex_davis.jpg
    Rex D. Davis​
    Director​

shockshot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Greetings to all and Happy Thanksgiving,

Just in case anyone might want to know, Knob Creek (15 miles from where I live) has banned the use and sales of Tannerite. They never explained to me why but you can buy it or use it there anymore under any circumstances. Here's their phone number just in case you don't believe me: 502.922.4457. You can shoot a .50 machine there, a 37 MM tank round, and anything else (pretty much), but no Tannerite....

Dentoro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Fairland
    Greetings to all and Happy Thanksgiving,

Just in case anyone might want to know, Knob Creek (15 miles from where I live) has banned the use and sales of Tannerite. They never explained to me why but you can buy it or use it there anymore under any circumstances. Here's their phone number just in case you don't believe me: 502.922.4457. You can shoot a .50 machine there, a 37 MM tank round, and anything else (pretty much), but no Tannerite....
    After all the hype I believe they caved.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County

Pistol rounds won't do it. .22LR won't set it off.

.223 and larger rifle rounds will make it go BOOM!

Top Bottom