IMPD proposes the hiring of 80 more police officers...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Proposed IMPD budget calls for 80 more officers on streets - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

I have mixed feelings about this. Will these proposed 80 more police officers be fighting real crime or handing over $200 tickets to people that are driving 10mph above the speed limit? Indianapolis has so much crime and I feel that the need for more police officiers may be real, but I would like to know where exactly they'll be placed. Anyone else?

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Definatly fighting crime. a VAST majority of the IMPD officers on the street do not even have time to issue tickets unless its something major that they just cannot turn away from. This has been a long time coming and I would have liked to see that number of doubled.... 80 is just a scratch on the surface but IS large enough to make a difference

searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Definatly fighting crime. a VAST majority of the IMPD officers on the street do not even have time to issue tickets unless its something major that they just cannot turn away from. This has been a long time coming and I would have liked to see that number of doubled.... 80 is just a scratch on the surface but IS large enough to make a difference

Well, recently, there have been police officers parked on 465 at many locations. They sit in either groups of two or three. One guy has a radar gun and the others flag / chase down speeders. One day while driving to work I saw a group of 10 people flagged down. That's $2000+ of instant revenue. That's just what I saw, too. Imagine what they bring in every day they do that. While I don't condone going 100mph when the speed limit is 55, 65mph certainly won't hurt anyone. I abhor these tactics and feel that police officers should be concerned with real crime (which is why I made this thread). Also, don't get me wrong, I do have a lot of respect for honest hard working police officers.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Hiring 80 won't get them near the strength they should have. If all 80 of them were assigned to beat cars that would work out to about 4-5 per district/per shift. Factor in the regular days off in the work schedule and you've only gained 2-3 per district/per shift.

By the way, 10 MPH over the limit is no big deal on the interstate. 10 over in a 30 speed zone should get you a ticket! And, I'd be willing to bet those IMPD officers on 465 were working OT paid for by a federal grant. It's really simple. Don't speed!

searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Hiring 80 won't get them near the strength they should have. If all 80 of them were assigned to beat cars that would work out to about 4-5 pre district/per shift. Factor in the regular days off in the work schedule and you've only gained 2-3 per district/per shift.

By the way, 10 MPH over the limit is no big deal on the interstate. 10 over in a 30 speed zone should get you a ticket!

That's a really interesting perspective on how many officers will be gained per shift. Thanks.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Most of the times when you see IMPD working strictly traffic, they are working overtime and getting paid with federal grant money, and its above and beyond their beat patrol, not during. Also, ISP typically does the traffic stuff on 465.

You want to make a REAL dent in crime in the city, hire 200 more patrol officers. then split the beats up into smaller portions so each person can do a better job of cruising around their dedicated area.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Most of the people I see pulled over are either pulled over by ISP or a smaller PD like Cumberland or something like that.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Well, recently, there have been police officers parked on 465 at many locations.

Those are not IMPD officers, those are ISP officers.

DOJ recommends 2.5 officers for every 1000 people in the jurisdiction. IMPD need 685 officers to get to that ratio. We don't spend much time writing tickets.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Never seen them at Washington Point, saw several IMPD cars there on several occasions while driving my old bus through there.
    Thankfully I don't date the girl in cumberland anymore so I have no good reason to speed down 10th :)

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Those are not IMPD officers, those are ISP officers.

DOJ recommends 2.5 officers for every 1000 people in the jurisdiction. IMPD need 685 officers to get to that ratio. We don't spend much time writing tickets.
    I don't care on what you guys do one way or another because I'm sure you know what needs done. But, I constantly see impd officers with people pulled over throughout the city whenever I go out. So someone is having time to write tickets, and I think its great. People need to learn how to drive. I also wish we could get 600 more cops on the street. Politicians suck!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Pulling over cars does not equal writing tickets.

What Nick means is that the warrant drawer gets cleared out with traffic stops and maybe a quarter of all FA and FB cases start with a traffic stop.

80? Split among three shifts, across the entire frickin' county (Indianapolis)? Is this not filling the ocean with a tea cup?

Tactical Flannel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    West Central Indiana
    Well, recently, there have been police officers parked on 465 at many locations. They sit in either groups of two or three. One guy has a radar gun and the others flag / chase down speeders. One day while driving to work I saw a group of 10 people flagged down. That's $2000+ of instant revenue. That's just what I saw, too. Imagine what they bring in every day they do that. While I don't condone going 100mph when the speed limit is 55, 65mph certainly won't hurt anyone. I abhor these tactics and feel that police officers should be concerned with real crime (which is why I made this thread). Also, don't get me wrong, I do have a lot of respect for honest hard working police officers.
    Another point to consider besides whether or not those officer are working OT funded by the State or the Fed., is are they writing tickets based on the IC for speeding or a local ordinance. If its the IC then the money goes to the state for the most part, not the local agency/entity. If its being written as a violation of a local ordinance then the money will stay within the jurisdiction that it is written.
    Something to consider.....

Stay safe

searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Another point to consider besides whether or not those officer are working OT funded by the State or the Fed., is are they writing tickets based on the IC for speeding or a local ordinance. If its the IC then the money goes to the state for the most part, not the local agency/entity. If its being written as a violation of a local ordinance then the money will stay within the jurisdiction that it is written.
    Something to consider.....

Stay safe

Good information.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom