• ...and so much more!
  • Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Actually, about three weeks ago I saw a Sheriff's Deputy in uniform along with two IMPD officers and a guy in handcuffs on West 86th Street. Don't know how it came about, and I do take your point, but apparently it does happen.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I don't blame the deputies, it's the politicians who are wasting millions.

"The MCSO has 1,021 employees, 703 of whom are deputies with full law enforcement powers"

There were fewer than 500 deputies at the time of the merger (which was done to eliminate the duplication of services and save money) and now the are 703? For what purpose? Are they answering 911 calls? Of what benefit are they to the citizens paying for their "services"?

There's plenty of **** sandwich to go around. I just wish they'd step up and take a bite rather than just taking up a seat at the table.

Last edited:

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I heard $30 million is the minimum bid for the privilege of hosting that one football game that makes some go full retard.

$30M for the privilege of "hey look at me".
    $3M to bring public safety closer to the level it should be at.

We have damn near the entire city fighting for the former and almost no one fighting for the latter. Makes perfect sense.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Let's see...IMPD (solely responsible for policing Indianapolis outside of the smaller towns)is 685 officers short of where we should be according to the DOJ with no money to hire additional officers. MCSO has 703 deputies getting paid to wear uniforms, drive patrol cars and carry guns but have no jurisdictional or patrol responsibilities.

Seems like some really smart person somewhere could probably sit down with a pad of paper, stack of pencils and a good calculator and come up with a solution to the problem.

Politicians have been trying and their solution is to raise taxes. I don't claim to be a genius but I just have this gnawing feeling that more money might not be the best solution. Maybe I'm weird or mentally handicapped and just don't know it.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    But honestly if the city cut deputies then the first crybabies we would hear on the news talking about the city making cuts to law enforcement (even though most of the deputies don't do **** except work side jobs in uniform) is the FOP. Tell me that's not true.
    I've been saying all along its bull **** that we pay so much for that
    stupid
    superbowl "shot". They solicit some of the money from local businesses. How about we use that money to put cops on the street? Its so stupid. But in reality the politicians know who butters their bread. The businesses.
    Public service is so dirty! But the idiot voters keep on voting the same ones in office. There are some that come from certain areas of the city that will get elected even if they can read or write, but they won't be the majority.
    the city leaders need to get their hands out from under the table and do something larger than themselves for once!

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Here's an Idea: The City/County Council can greatly reduce the Sherrif's budget to cover corrections and admin, all other functions fall to IMPD. All present Uniformed Sworn Deputies to be absorbed into IMPD. No future deputies to be hired. That should bring IMPD close to full strength and keep the goat rope from happening again.

I know it may be a simplistic view and may not even be viable but hey, the thought is there.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Hahahahahaha, I just read the article
    and looked at the pics. There's my laugh for the week. Until I realize my property taxes pay for this waste of money.
    new cars for nothing, new guns and gear for nothing.
    i can understand needing jailers, court bailiffs and some warrant officers. But come on!

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    But honestly if the city cut deputies then the first crybabies we would hear on the news talking about the city making cuts to law enforcement (even though most of the deputies don't do **** except work side jobs in uniform) is the FOP. Tell me that's not true.

That's not true. They are not members of the FOP.

Here's an Idea: The City/County Council can greatly reduce the Sherrif's budget to cover corrections and admin, all other functions fall to IMPD. All present Uniformed Sworn Deputies to be absorbed into IMPD.

No way. The deputies working for the MCSO were not hired by a merit board nor through the correct procedures. Allow them to apply to IMPD and if they make the cut great, we can use good people.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Here's an Idea: The City/County Council can greatly reduce the Sherrif's budget to cover corrections and admin, all other functions fall to IMPD. All present Uniformed Sworn Deputies to be absorbed into IMPD. No future deputies to be hired. That should bring IMPD close to full strength and keep the goat rope from happening again.

I know it may be a simplistic view and may not even be viable but hey, the thought is there.

i agree, as long as the deputies go through the Indiana law enforcement academy first. Then get hired by Impd to fill the void. After that the sherif only needs jailers.
    Problem solved. But it will never happen because its a power grab by the sheriff.
    some of the deputies I've seen can't even fit through a standard width doorway. Pathetic.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    i agree, as long as the deputies go through the Indiana law enforcement academy first. Then get hired by Impd to fill the void. After that the sherif only needs jailers.
    Problem solved. But it will never happen because its a power grab by the sheriff.

They need to go through the IMPD academy, not ILEA. ILEA standards are a joke and designed to allow the lowest possible common denominator (Gooberville County Sheriff's 300lb nephew) graduate.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    That's not true. They are not members of the FOP.

No way. The deputies working for the MCSO were not hired by a merit board nor through the correct procedures. Allow them to apply to IMPD and if they make the cut great, we can use good people.

Even better. On Both counts.

Are they even sworn law enforcement officers or are the just "deputized" by the sheriff?

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    They need to go through the IMPD academy, not ILEA. ILEA standards are a joke and designed to allow the lowest possible common denominator (Gooberville County Sheriff's 300lb nephew) graduate.
    Ah ok. Well obviously I don't know everything even close to your guys standards and such.

if I was on the council I'd be asking you all what should be done. And I'd cut that's sheriffs budget to the minimum, sell his cars, or give them to Impd, and the guns too.
    ive been outraged over the MCSD wasteful spending before but I didn't know it was to this level of stupid

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Ah ok. Well obviously I don't know everything even close to your guys standards and such.

I graduated from ILEA in 1999 and I train recruits for IMPD. It's apples and meteorites.

The simplest solution is to give the Sheriff what he wants. Let him have the old MCSD jurisdiction back, reinstate his merit system and let him recreate what Frank Anderson and Bart Peterson destroyed which was a fine agency. Provided they begin a new and completely separate pension system (MCSD was not a part of PERF) I could care less. It could solve 98% of the IMPD financial crisis overnight. Politicians won't let it happen.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    It really Gets me mad about the colts getting the red carpet treatment while our county police force is getting screwed and having to work twice as hard to make up for the stupid of others.
    sounds like the people need to be made aware though of te wasteful spending of the sheriff. Grassroots anyone?

Top Bottom