• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    President Obama signed a EO today that maxes out your student loan payments at 10% of your monthly income. Does that make your payment go up or go down?

I don't owe any student loans so I don't care.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    So...we draw out the loan repayment period even further by making lower payments and paying more in interest over the life of the loan. Brilliant, why didn't I think of that as my loan repayment plan instead of living off of one income while dedicating the other to loans...my wife and I must be idiots.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    The chillin are adults and can make their own decisions about their education choices and how much debt they want to take on. Some educational institutions are better buys that others, and anyone receiving a high-priced education will eventually learn that after 5-10 years in the work force, no one gives two ****s about where you went to school; only that you did.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    You can still pay more than 10% if you want to. Think of the 10% as a minimum payment for a credit card. Paying more if you choose is still an option.

Bravo-4-2

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Most people today are too young to remember a time when the federal government had nothing to do with student loans. How much more of our lives must they confiscate before the average bubba walking down the street realizes what the term "freedom" really meant in America and how it is completely gone.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    You can still pay more than 10% if you want to. Think of the 10% as a minimum payment for a credit card. Paying more if you choose is still an option.

It's more like a cap and only affects people whose normal payment is more than 10% of their incomes.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    The way I understand things, it's more of a chicken/egg thing. Tuition continues to go up because loans are readily available. Not everyone NEEDS to go to college.

Change tuition to housing market and loans to purchase mortgages and you have the housing boom of the first decade (that didn't really last but a few years since the actual credit-worthiness of the borrowers hadn't changed).

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Never took out the first student loan but I'm sure some of my tax dollars are subsidizing those who did and don't pay them back.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    The way I understand things, it's more of a chicken/egg thing. Tuition continues to go up because loans are readily available. Not everyone NEEDS to go to college.

I'm sure they are correlated, but not totally. If the government stopped handing out college loans indefinitely tomorrow we would not see a drop in tuition. Colleges are turning into telecommunication companies, raising their prices more than inflation and inventing fees/charges that aren't necessary. You are right, not everyone needs to go to college. I don't think anyone would be able to find a high school these days that will tell that to students though. But who can blame them though? When a large number of decent paying jobs require a college degree, not getting one can severely limit career options if one does not go into a trade.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    Change tuition to housing market and loans to purchase mortgages and you have the housing boom of the first decade (that didn't really last but a few years since the actual credit-worthiness of the borrowers hadn't changed).

It's a gigantic bubble, and the pin to pop it is getting dangerously close.

Top Bottom