can anyone even get through this drivel?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    your biggest problem is most anti-gun people's opinion is based on emotions. and you can't argue with emotions. SO, just present the facts in a nice and calm way and hope that some day they sink in.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Wow. I'm having to take this in bite sized pieces to keep my head from exploding from all the hyperbole and fail.

Just got to the end of the 2nd amendment section. To paraphrase "forget the 2nd amendment, its unusable in its original intent today because our armed forces are the biggest and best in the world, so we have absolutely zero choice of succeeding in overthrowing them."

There is so much fail in that Its going to take footnotes to debunk it.

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    The article completely side steps "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." How convenient. The bashing of the Second Amendment might make some sense if it didn't have "the right of the people" in it. The article also refers to those that are concerned about tyranny as deluded and illustrative of a dangerous mindset. Wow. A good example of a defenseless population would be Iraq. I'll bet many of the Iraqis wish they had firearms right now to protect themselves.

Of course, something like that couldn't take place here in the U.S. :rolleyes:

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To Captain Morgan,

This is a GREAT piece! Everyone on INGO should read this, beginning to end, and research the counter to all of these ridiculous arguments.

That way we will be prepared for the next time we encounter stupid on the street!

I have often heard ChurchMouse and others speak of practicing drawing and self defense as it hones our muscle memory. Well, tearing apart an article such as this with actual FACTS and sources will help all of us prepare for the time we encounter someone at a restaurant or party or in the work office who spouts such drivel.

In reading it I have an emotional gag response that causes my stomach to get upset. However, in thinking about how I would counter all of these silly points I calm down and try to remember something called facts and counterpoints. It is in constant research and quoting of real information that we will be able to better out argue our opponents in the street.

Remember that we are NOT out to win them over, that is not the goal. Rather, we are out to be heard by the guy/gal sitting on the sidelines who is unsure of which side is right. That is our target audience. The idiot spouting drivel is only giving us the excuse to make him/her look foolish and convince the fencesitter who is more correct.

As an example, the article starts with "the recent rash of mass shooitngs." Well this is easy, there is NO recent rash of mass shootings. Mass shootings have been at a level rate for decades. Source is James Fox, formerly of the Brady Campaign. Here is his video: James Fox Remarks Mass Shootings | Video | C-SPAN.org

Mr. Fox should be watched beginning to end by everyone. He is coming at it from the other side but the facts he keeps quoting support our position and not that of the Brady Campaign.

Example #2, "No other country has as lax gun laws or more weapons than the United States." So? What? Mexico has banned firearms and has shootings and beheadings Russia has gun ownership at about 12 per 100 people and yet in 2009 alone there were 21,371 homicides (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Russia). Gosh, making guns illegal only increases crime, doesn't it.

The point is that by reading such silliness and coming up with actual facts like the Russian homicide rate we are better prepared to make the other side look stupid and win the undecided to our side.

Writing a counter argument to this article would be fun!

Regards,

Doug

Last edited:

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    It hurts to read this. A fairly anti-gun friend posted this on my Facebook page. I'm having difficulty even getting through the first point! Refuting Anti-Gun Control Arguments | The Progressive Cynic

All you have to do is point out one thing wrong and the rest is suspect. The following picture demonstrates a complete falsehood. Guns are in the armories. Bases have police just like civilians do. In fact there are probably fewer guns on base in the hands of the soldiers on base than there are in the civilian sector.

The rest of the article is just more of the same.

g12.jpg

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    I was just looking at the FBI statistics that was used in the article and it also demonstrates that the murder rate has been declining each year even though there are more guns in the hands of citizens. Also, the FBI report doesn't include a break down of the suicide rate which may be included in their murder statistics. It's all about how you can twist the facts to reflect your position. Unfortunately, the gullible will swallow it up without questioning it.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Sorry I can not continue, I couldn't finish the first point.

I have an unalienable GOD given right to self defense, the defense of my family and innocents within my sphere of influence.

I will use any means necessary to do so.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Amazing how many in this nation wish to volunteer themselves to be potential victims and feel they are righteous in doing so.

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    Amazing how many in this nation wish to volunteer themselves to be potential victims and feel they are righteous in doing so.
    Yeah. I guess they forgot about the grammatical structure of "the right of the people" that is also mentioned in 1st, 4th, 9th and 10th Amendments.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Its somewhat valuable to study the other side so you can defeat their points before they make them. Also it helps you avoid obvious pitfalls and weak arguments of your own.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Sorry I can not continue, I couldn't finish the first point.

I have an unalienable GOD given right to self defense, the defense of my family and innocents within my sphere of influence.

I will use any means necessary to do so.
    Couldn't agree more.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    All you have to do is point out one thing wrong and the rest is suspect. The following picture demonstrates a complete falsehood. Guns are in the armories. Bases have police just like civilians do. In fact there are probably fewer guns on base in the hands of the soldiers on base than there are in the civilian sector.

The rest of the article is just more of the same.

g12.jpg

That one photo is the one that makes my blood boil the most. Our military bases are among the most restricted gun free zones in our country. That photo is a blatant lie that uses that SOB to make a false point. It should say 'This man killed 13 people and injured 29 others in a gun free zone surrounded by people that were trained to use guns but were not allowed to have access to them'.

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    "First of all, gun control can help stop the bad guy from ever getting a gun, thus rendering the discussion about stopping the shooter moot. If gun laws prevent shooters from gaining access to weapons, there will never be any risk to the public of a shooting and there will be no need to contemplate public shootouts. Ultimately, this solution is the most efficient and reliable method of stopping gun violence."

What amazes me is that this idiot literally thinks that laws will stop people from getting guns. They actually believe in this stupidity. Weed is illegal, ITS EVERYWHERE. This article is just pure crap and lies.

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    I posted a bunch of comments after that article, its nice to see a lot of other people posting on there destroying this garbage. I honestly have no idea why people can be so stupid and so weak.

Top Bottom