• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Wow. This is the NFL. Deep pockets to fight this. And I think they'll have to, otherwise any of the names are at risk. MLB (Indians, Braves) will get involved, too.

I tend to agree that the USPTO will lose this. Or, there will be a "settlement" that says the Redskins have 20 years or something to change the name.

Ben Nelson

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    Corner of Walk & Dont Walk
    More political BS from a government that is far too large and governs in minutia . . . Well, here are some suggestions for new nicknames of the NFL team representing DC:

• Syndicate
    • Sellouts
    • Traitors
    • Turncoats
    • Oligarchs
    • JBTs

5.56'aholic

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    <- tragic boating accident
    Hopefully we see the email trail on this before 2016..........I'm sure there will be another computer crash involving all relevant emails and communication between the Trademark office and the White house and congress members.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Snyder won't buckle, but I fear the NFL wlll pressure him to comply. The "20 year" concept above sounds like the plan they'd adopt to diffuse the rage and kick the can down the road till a "more enlightened time" when Redskins ownership will understand the value of "being on the right side of history".

If this happens, I can think of a number of other names will need to be changed, including the "Fighting Irish", who boast a racist caricature of my people:

niERbxXiA.gif

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    If this happens, I can think of a number of other names will need to be changed, including the "Fighting Irish", who boast a racist caricature of my people:
    You're a leprechaun?

Not that there's anything wrong with that....

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I'm offended by all of these people getting offended! Talk about offensive...one of our local grade school teams was the Trojans...lol! Not sure if it still is.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    :)

I hear you, though. I actually agree with you more than it migh've looked like from my sarcastic post.

What about people related to pirates. Can I make a big deal out of Pirates, Buccaneers, Raiders? Could modern Somalis be offended?

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Harry Reid says he will not attend anymore Redskins games until they change the name. Gee, I'm sure they will miss him! :laugh:

I'm thinking that Washington could cave and consider re-naming the team after Harry Reid, but changing the name to Washington Jackasses probably wouldn't fly either. :):

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Wow, comply or die. So if you don't give in to the minority pressure, they just force you.

USPTO TTABVUE. Proceeding Number 92046185
    Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks - Jun. 18, 2014

Erick Erickson says the Trademark Office is going to lose this lawsuit.

I believe Mr. Erickson is correct! All this is being done based on someone's (3 to be exact) emotional approach to the issue rather than staying in the 'bigger' picture and taking into consideration all of the honor and respect to the Native / American Indian Warrior this 'logo' represents. Once the facts get argued in a court of law...it'll be tough for the 'patent board' to uphold their decision on something that was approved many years ago!

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Harry Reid says he will not attend anymore Redskins games until they change the name. Gee, I'm sure they will miss him! :laugh:

I'm thinking that Washington could cave and consider re-naming the team after Harry Reid, but changing the name to Washington Jackasses probably wouldn't fly either. :):

Harry said this - https://twitter.com/SenatorReid/status/479277808536289280

It's only a matter of time until Daniel Snyder is forced to do the right thing and change the name.

Which perfectly embodies the party. All about force...

****ing fascists.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Good luck fighting Snyder, the NFL, the MLB, the NBA, the NHL, and all other sports teams on this one. They ALL have a vested interest in the Redskins keeping that name.

Bleh, the 'lawsuit' should only take about 50 years, LOL.

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    Just change the name from Redskins to Washington Engines, and use the outline of an Indian Motorcycle as the logo - Problem solved, nobody to be butt-hurt over the name that way. Be sure to get the okay from the Indian MC Co.

I really don't see how Red Skins is offensive, change it the the White Skins. I don't think it can be considered disrespectful, it would be a compliment to have a team named after you. There is a reason nobody has named thier team the "Stupids" or "Frightened". They choose names that bring up thoughts of admiration. It would be terrible from a business perspective to chose iconography or other branding elements that belittled your own brand.

Top Bottom