In the dark

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The automakers don't care at all. Worse come to worst, they could simply adapt Tesla's model. It's the dealerships who are shaking in their boots. If I can buy a new car straight from the manufacturer and have it delivered to me, what the hell do I need a dealership for?
    Overpriced service.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Yep, the dealers don't like it. They are afraid of any camel's nose under the tent of the Franchise Laws. Here's the NADA's video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=86pcTLJTvUw

The question I keep asking myself is: if the dealership business model is so beneficial to the customer, why do they need protectionist laws to clear the way for them? Shades of, "Ideas so good, they have to be mandatory," to swipe another INGO poster's tag line.

Last edited:

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Have no real problem with Tesla. Curious why various dealers wouldn't WANT to include them in their line (many dealers sell more than one manufacturer) and sell them, if they're so popular?

AFAIK, the ONLY reason that they're popular is because of the government subsidies (currently, at least $7500, $11,500 in IL) customers get for buying them. Those subsidies should be entirely eliminated, as it should be for any other car. The American taxpayer should not be forced to subsidize 'Joe Businessman' wanting to buy car of any type, let alone a high dollar car.

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    ... AFAIK, the ONLY reason that they're popular is because of the government subsidies (currently, at least $7500, $11,500 in IL) customers get for buying them...

I don't know anything about IL, but I just got back from the Pacific Northwest. They are VERY popular there, being driven by Microsoft millionaires who don't need or care about government subsidies. They like the technology and the pizzazz. I think they are cool cars, probably the type of car we will all be driving before its over. If I had the money and Indiana had a well developed charging network, I'd own one in a heartbeat.

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    i love coal powered cars!! with what our electricity bills will be over the forseeable future, owning a coal powered car will be crazy expensive. What a joke

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Electric cars are a scam and a trebly-inefficient waste of energy, but it should be up to consumers to come to that conclusion on their own, not government, and not cartels that only exist by virtue of being state-sanctioned middlemen.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    If they knew their cars were so much better than Tesla they wouldn't pull a stunt like this. How about just letting the consumers decide what they want?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Electric cars are a scam and a trebly-inefficient waste of energy, but it should be up to consumers to come to that conclusion on their own, not government, and not cartels that only exist by virtue of being state-sanctioned middlemen.

But it doesn't matter that they actually waste energy. They serve the useful purpose of letting people see you being an earth saving status symbol.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Birds curse me, deer jeer, bears ____ in the forest and raccoons give me the finger every time I start the big V8 in my Silverado....and that's the way I like it.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Birds curse me, deer jeer, bears ____ in the forest and raccoons give me the finger every time I start the big V8 in my Silverado....and that's the way I like it.

If a bear _____ in the forest and no one's there to _____ it. Did it really _____ ?

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    But it doesn't matter that they actually waste energy. They serve the useful purpose of letting people see you being an earth saving status symbol.

I guess I'm not really following the logic here. How do they waste energy? They are certainly cheaper to fuel. Using today's averages for power and fuel, a Tesla is about $15,000 cheaper to fuel over an 8 year life span.

Also, the main benefit of having a capable electric fleet of cars, instead of gas or diesel powered, is that you push the energy production back to the grid. At that point, you can replace actual power sources with a plethora of options (coal, hydro, geo-thermal, wind, solar, and everyone's favorite, nuclear). That allows us to focus on finding better replacements for dirty power plants (which we already have plenty of options that are viable, nuclear being a major one), rather than deal with 250 million cars burning gas. Also, it lets us reserve our petroleum for the billion other essential uses we have for it in modern society and not just burning it.

Frankly, if Tesla can get it's rapid battery swap technology in the field and build stations, I imagine the other major manufacturers might jump on board and standardize on the model. Then that removes the two biggest hurdles for electric cars: 1) Range and 2) Battery replacement. With car owners only "leasing" the battery packs when they fill up (just like swapping propane cylinders, you only pay for the first one) and able to change them out in less time it takes to currently fill an IC car at the pump, we pretty much have the first real viable electric cars for mass ownership.

So, I hope the grid is ready.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

It is amazing how much of a free market we are NOT!

If you think we are free market, try opening your own liquor store and selling whatever beer or booze you want to!

You'll learn darned fast how much power the distributors have! Absolute, 100% ability to control what the entrepreneur can and cannot sell.

In business class this is called a "barrier to entry." It sucks! And the sad truth of it is there is FAR more behind the scenes protectionism from the government initiated and coddled by lobbying groups than most people realize.

Regards,

Doug

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Also, the main benefit of having a capable electric fleet of cars, instead of gas or diesel powered, is that you push the energy production back to the grid. At that point, you can replace actual power sources with a plethora of options (coal, hydro, geo-thermal, wind, solar, and everyone's favorite, nuclear). That allows us to focus on finding better replacements for dirty power plants (which we already have plenty of options that are viable, nuclear being a major one)............///.............. So, I hope the grid is ready.

The key aspect of "The Grid" is that it is a publicly-regulated utility, with maximum power generation caps set by the government. Want to generate more energy? You have to go to the government for a permit...and wait out the approval process.

For this reason, getting transportation power from "The Grid" will be a disaster, for anyone who values their freedom to live their life as they wish.

It gives the government (or, more specifically, the Executive Branch of the government) a direct choke-hold on how much transportation can occur. If you want to go on a road trip in your gas-burner, how much you travel is strictly between you, your pocketbook, and Starvin' Marvin. But once you plug your vehicle into "The Grid," and Uncle Sam controls the kill switch - via the publicly-regulated and -permitted power grid - no so anymore. Your ability to move around starts to approximate your freedom to buy the health care plan you want. Remember the Executive Branch fiat that pulled CO2 under the umbrella of the EPA and Clean Air Act? We're almost there, baby.

I think transportation is too important to our jobs and economy, to give that kind of power to the government. The Bureau-fascists are counting on your desire to save money on gas to be the corn that lures you into the slatted wooden pen. Once transportation power comes from the grid, "total miles traveled per year" just becomes a stripe on some bureaucrat's bar-chart, to be squeezed and diminished - via the permit approval process - to fit ideological whims.

Last edited:

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    The key aspect of "The Grid" is that it is a publicly-regulated utility, with maximum power generation caps set by the government. Want to generate more energy? You have to go to the government for a permit...and wait out the approval process.

For this reason, getting transportation power from "The Grid" will be a disaster, for anyone who values their freedom to live their life as they wish.

It gives the government (or, more specifically, the Executive Branch of the government) a direct choke-hold on how much transportation can occur. If you want to go on a road trip in your gas-burner, how much you travel is strictly between you, your pocketbook, and Starvin' Marvin. But once you plug your vehicle into "The Grid," and Uncle Sam controls the kill switch - via the publicly-regulated and -permitted power grid - no so anymore. Your ability to move around starts to approximate your freedom to buy the health care plan you want. Remember the Executive Branch fiat that pulled CO2 under the umbrella of the EPA and Clean Air Act? We're almost there, baby.

I think transportation is too important to our jobs and economy, to give that kind of power to the government. The Bureau-fascists are counting on your desire to save money on gas to be the corn that lures you into the slatted wooden pen. Once transportation power comes from the grid, "total miles traveled per year" just becomes a stripe on some bureaucrat's bar-chart, to be squeezed and diminished - via the permit approval process - to fit ideological whims.

As opposed to all those free market oil pipelines? Besides, you can generate your own power on your own property as much as you like. Wind, solar, hell hydrogen fuel cells. Sure, if you want hydro you might run into problems damming your creek, but honestly, it's not really that big a deal to generate your own power.

If you think the government can't shut down the fuel supply on a whim, you clearly need to do some research on the Carter administration. They can and have used government coercion to limit fuel supply to the public.

I can't easily build an oil refinery at my house, but I sure as heck can go to Lowes and buy some solar panels to put up. Besides, no one is saying you couldn't insist on hanging onto your IC vehicle either. There will be plenty still around and fuel will still be produced for them (just not as much as today).

Personally, I think you've gone to crazy town on this one. :tinfoil:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    I guess I'm not really following the logic here. How do they waste energy? They are certainly cheaper to fuel. Using today's averages for power and fuel, a Tesla is about $15,000 cheaper to fuel over an 8 year life span.

Also, the main benefit of having a capable electric fleet of cars, instead of gas or diesel powered, is that you push the energy production back to the grid. At that point, you can replace actual power sources with a plethora of options (coal, hydro, geo-thermal, wind, solar, and everyone's favorite, nuclear). That allows us to focus on finding better replacements for dirty power plants (which we already have plenty of options that are viable, nuclear being a major one), rather than deal with 250 million cars burning gas. Also, it lets us reserve our petroleum for the billion other essential uses we have for it in modern society and not just burning it.

Frankly, if Tesla can get it's rapid battery swap technology in the field and build stations, I imagine the other major manufacturers might jump on board and standardize on the model. Then that removes the two biggest hurdles for electric cars: 1) Range and 2) Battery replacement. With car owners only "leasing" the battery packs when they fill up (just like swapping propane cylinders, you only pay for the first one) and able to change them out in less time it takes to currently fill an IC car at the pump, we pretty much have the first real viable electric cars for mass ownership.

So, I hope the grid is ready.

I would be curious to see if it really helped reduce environmental impact or just shunted it off to the future when we're trying to offload all of the batteries we've burned out. I know that that was an issue raised with the Prius, for example.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I would be curious to see if it really helped reduce environmental impact or just shunted it off to the future when we're trying to offload all of the batteries we've burned out. I know that that was an issue raised with the Prius, for example.

That is definitely a good question. I suppose on a positive note that at least the batteries are a contained package that can be dealt with, versus stuff dumped into the air. But certainly, EVs are not a magic bullet for the environment and anyone saying they are needs to re-examine their assumptions.

Top Bottom