• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Yeah, not going to happen. Way more negatives than positives for China even of successful. Japan's "defense force" is a more than capable military. They wouldn't roll over like the Ukraine seems to be doing.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah, not going to happen. Way more negatives than positives for China even of successful. Japan's "defense force" is a more than capable military. They wouldn't roll over like the Ukraine seems to be doing.

But why would they fight for the islands? While the JDF is capable, China could certainly field more resources. Quantity has a quality all its own, and all that.

My prediction: those islands will belong to China within 2 years.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Sure China could overwhelm them with sheer numbers, but unless they are really good swimmers, Japan should be OK. China's ability to move massive numbers of troops across water is not stellar.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    T.Lex said:

I'd take that bet.

China stands to lose more on the global economic stage by instigating a regional shooting war for miniscule territorial gains than Japan or any other country stands to lose militarily or politically.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Okinawa would never fall. Too many drunk Marines who would prefer to keep seeing the banana show, the yosh, and soapy land.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    America's not treated her allies very well lately...

And there's a LOT of history there.

That said, I think it might go as far as the disputed islands, no farther.

MAC100

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2014
    United States
    TIL Japan is not a NATO member.

Interesting. As an ally, however, do you think America would get involved?

america is supposed to. that was the agreement of the WWII treaty. that is why japans military is called a self defense force. My coworker was in the Japan SDF. He told me the entire strategy is hold out for 2 weeks. I asked what happens after 2 weeks. "that is how long the US needs to mobilize to defend japan". he said. I told him "they may want to rethink that strategy the way things have been going".

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    america is supposed to. that was the agreement of the WWII treaty. that is why japans military is called a self defense force. My coworker was in the Japan SDF. He told me the entire strategy is hold out for 2 weeks. I asked what happens after 2 weeks. "that is how long the US needs to mobilize to defend japan". he said. I told him "they may want to rethink that strategy the way things have been going".

That's interesting, did not know that.

Wonder if China is taking tips from the Russia/Ukraine situation... and feel like it's safe to do as they wish.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I'd take that bet.

China stands to lose more on the global economic stage by instigating a regional shooting war for miniscule territorial gains than Japan or any other country stands to lose militarily or politically.

Well, keep in mind, I didn't specify that a shooting contest was necessary for the islands to become China. ;) All they have to do is continue acting like they are part of China, and they will become part of China. I don't see Japan picking that fight.

Wonder if China is taking tips from the Russia/Ukraine situation... and feel like it's safe to do as they wish.

Undoubtedly. And all sorts of other places where the US hasn't even amounted to a paper tiger.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    China has been butting chests with all their neighbors. They have claimed the entire South China Sea as their territorial waters sending ships to harass the Vietnamese, Philippines, Taiwan, Japan...pretty much everyone.

There's still plenty of Com in Chi.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN

I'll take that bet. However, I do feel though that if China had enough stones to follow through and try to take the Senkaku islands, then the international response would be, A few sanctions here and there, but since our economy heavily depends on them, we would just roll over and let them do what they want.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I'll take that bet. However, I do feel though that if China had enough stones to follow through and try to take the Senkaku islands, then the international response would be, A few sanctions here and there, but since our economy heavily depends on them, we would just roll over and let them do what they want.

China knows that if it wants them it has to take them soon. This administration will never go to war over some disputed islands...even if they belonged to us.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    JollyMon said:
    A few sanctions here and there, but since our economy heavily depends on them

While our economy does in fact heavily depend on China...an argument can be made that China's economy depends more on us than ours on them.

"Mutually assured economic destruction"

Top Bottom