Not open for further replies.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'm surprised no one has really dug into this here. The bill has passed, and Pence "looks forward" to signing it.

The usual opponents are littering the discussion with slippery-slope arguments, and a bunch of "what ifs".

Indiana House OKs controversial religious freedom bill

I don't really have a position on this... but this just came out today:

http://files.gencon.com/Gen_Con_Statement_Regarding_SB101.pdf

CEO of Gen Con Adrian Swartout urges Pence to reconsider, stating that the future of Gen Con in Indiana could be affected by the passage of SB 101.

Text of SB 101:

https://iga.in.gov/legislative/2015/bills/senate/101#document-55cfd293

Last edited:

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I was wondering why I hadn't seen this here. Social media has been losing it's mind about this.

I'm not a fan of this one. Giving people the freedom to deny services from a public business based on their religious beliefs is a step backwards. I'll be ashamed to be an Indiana resident if this gets passed.

I think if this is signed, this one will end up at the SCOTUS.

Rhoadmar

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    The farm
    I was wondering why I hadn't seen this here. Social media has been losing it's mind about this.

I'm not a fan of this one. Giving people the freedom to deny services from a public business based on their religious beliefs is a step backwards. I'll be ashamed to be an Indiana resident if this gets passed.

Why?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Many of Indiana's largest employers have warned Pence and the legislature about this piece of crap. They have refused to listen, as usual. It not only makes Indiana look like a backwards assed state, it enshrines discrimination into law. I can well imagine the howls from the right if a muslim business owner denies access to christians based on their religion. Or someone denies medical aid to someone because of the status of their parents being gay (which has already happened).

This bill carves out special rights for the religious in Indiana, not everyone. They've just made a special class of people in Indiana with special made up rights. The very things that opponents of gay marriage have been accusing the other side of wanting. If they had crafted a bill that anyone could refuse service to anyone else for any reason, and carved out a right for everyone, this wouldn't have been as large an issue. But they didn't. They just instituted sharia light.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County

I think that's a sure thing.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I'm surprised no one has really dug into this here. The bill has passed, and Pence "looks forward" to signing it.

The usual opponents are littering the discussion with slippery-slope arguments, and a bunch of "what ifs".

Indiana House OKs controversial religious freedom bill

I don't really have a position on this... but this just came out today:

http://files.gencon.com/Gen_Con_Statement_Regarding_SB101.pdf

CEO of Gen Con Adrian Swartout urges Pence to reconsider, stating that the future of Gen Con in Indiana could be affected by the passage of SB 101.

So Gencon wants to extort the Governor of the State of Indiana.....good luck with that.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    In my opinion, a business owner has the right to refuse service to anyone, for any reason. Even if that reason is none.

So, is there a way to feel this way (as I do), and still think this bill is highly unnecessary?

I don't think the problem (acknowledging there is one) relies on the state for solution, but the people.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom