• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I was reading a bit on this while watching designated survivor. It seems to exclude the coast guard.

Could Trump send in the coast guard to pacify Chicago?

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    Why would you send the USCG? They are in no way whatsoever trained for that kind of thing. Far better would be a regiment of experienced ANG soldiers, a unit that spent time in Mosul (Or was that all USMC?) would be perfect.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    This is not a "why" question, it is a "could" question

in this particular episode the president federalized the guard but the guard general refused the order

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Well, USCG used to be part of the Department of the Treasury, and was NOT military, although organized similar.
    They were only housed under the administration of the Department of Defense in time of war. Many of the anti-sub patrols, and landing craft coxswains were USCG.

But, that was all before the Department of Homeland Security.
    Now, after the formation of the DHS, I'm not sure.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Ah, interesting question. The Coasties are military, but not under the DoD except in time of full-mobilization (last was WWII). The USCG is a LE entity, which is why the DoD and the USCG don't communicate very well.

Getting back to your question, the problem with that scenario is, that's not their mission. The Coasties run down drug smugglers and save lives at sea. The National Guard under Title 32 (not Title 10) USC under the State's chain of command would be appropriate for this kind of peacekeeping operation.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Things are the way they are in chicago because the machine makes money from them being that way. Cut off all the federal money and the machine will remake the system so it's profitable again. No need to send federal troops in to fix it.

Always follow the money

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    The crime in Chicago is not due to federal money directly. You could argue the welfare state caused it, but that goes to people, not the system

but Chicago is a random city for my example

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    The gist of it is I saw the CG is exempted from the Act, and should IMO be able to be deployed domestically

I just think it would be hilarious to send in the coasties to some land locked area to do something

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Well, USCG used to be part of the Department of the Treasury, and was NOT military, although organized similar.
    They were only housed under the administration of the Department of Defense in time of war. Many of the anti-sub patrols, and landing craft coxswains were USCG.

USCG, used to be Dept. of TRANSPORTATION.....

Now, I don't know .....

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    USCG, used to be Dept. of TRANSPORTATION.....

Now, I don't know .....

No.
    It didn't.

I know wiki isn't a great source, I'm sure you can find their history elsewhere.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Coast_Guard

Created by Congress on 4 August 1790 at the request of Alexander Hamilton as the Revenue Marine, it is the oldest continuous seagoing service of the United States.[SUP][Note 2][/SUP] As Secretary of the Treasury, Hamilton headed the Revenue Marine, whose original purpose was collecting customs duties in the nation's seaports. By the 1860s, the service was known as the U.S. Revenue Cutter Service and the term Revenue Marine gradually fell into disuse.[SUP][15][/SUP]
    The modern Coast Guard was formed by a merger of the Revenue Cutter Service and the U.S. Life-Saving Service on 28 January 1915, under the U.S. Department of the Treasury.

Here we go. Something not wiki.
    History of the United States Coast Guard | Military Wiki | Fandom powered by Wikia
    The Coast Guard itself was moved to the Department of Transportation in 1967,

It was first Dept. of Revenue, then Treasury.
    We were both right.
    I was just right 1st.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Probably, which made my Chicago example bad
    So the Coasties could cruise up in a Cutter and lob a few rounds at the Gangster Disciples and Black P Stones? I'll need a minute to think about this...

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I think you may be significantly more cool and hip than I am since I have no idea what those things are

edit: I searched, and yes, that would be neat to see

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield

I thought they were part of the DoT? As in Transportation?

ETA: Prior to being swallowed by DHS

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Weren't parts of the CG activated for coastal duty in Vietnam? Also, their drug interdiction stuff is pretty "hands-on" but certainly not on a Mosul level.

Here's another question - in the age of terrorism, does Posse Comitatus make sense?

Top Bottom