• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Lol. He's a very interesting guy that explains things at a higher level than most people can understand (I'm certainly guilty of scratching my head on some of the things he says). The last article I read of his was about why people should vote for Trump, because he would be easier to impeach than Clinton. Certainly a great mind.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    He's brilliant...I had no idea he was in his 80's but for the last two decades I have just kind of thought he was in his 60's...I know he hasn't aged much and the only difference I saw from his earlier days was that his hair got a little shorter...Back in the 1970's-1980's Sowell had an Afro to die for...I remember the first time I saw his little pic by a column back in the early 80's I was like..."Wow...Link from the Mod Squad is an economist and a writer....Cool....."

7bf5c9b2267e64ace51940bdd4e11c0b.jpg

Thomas-Sowell-on-Racism.jpg

Back in the day...
    images

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Lol. He's a very interesting guy that explains things at a higher level than most people can understand (I'm certainly guilty of scratching my head on some of the things he says). The last article I read of his was about why people should vote for Trump, because he would be easier to impeach than Clinton. Certainly a great mind.

I've read a couple of his books. They're a hard read. Very dry. Heavy on theory. Caffeine is always necessary.

I hadn't read his article about why to vote for Trump. But turns out, that IS why I voted for him. :laugh:

Pence '17! :rockwoot:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    A great man who followed his own path. Thank you Dr. Sowell.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Was sorry to hear this.
    A very brilliant man.

Let me add that I'll miss his writings
    And yes, I know he's not dead. :laugh:

Last edited:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I had the honor and pleasure of attending one of his presentations several years ago. He was even more enjoyable to listen to in person.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I have a great story about Dr. Sowell. A few years ago I was in an argument with a left-leaning friend. She had a question for which I didn't have a ready answer. I emailed Dr. Sowell and presented him with the question. He answered the question and asked for my address. A few days later a box was delivered to my house. It contained the galleys for the as-yet unreleased latest edition of his book, Basic Economics. Keep in mind this book is several hundred pages. What he sent me was loose-leafed and printed on one side. Picture a ream of paper with a book written on it. Included was a very nice hand-signed letter to me. All on his dime because I sent him an email.

A great man, a brilliant man, and a very nice man.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    What does a man with such a great mind actually do in retirement???? I have a feeling we have not heard the end of Mr. Sowell....In six months I bet he has another book out talking about the economics of retirement and keeping one's mind occupied lol....

That would SO be him. The man has too much capacity not to discharge it upon something.

He takedown of Frances Fox-Piven in the Free to Choose originals was epic.

[video=youtube_share;26QxO49Ycx0]http://youtu.be/26QxO49Ycx0?t=1m42s[/video]

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    What does a man with such a great mind actually do in retirement???? I have a feeling we have not heard the end of Mr. Sowell....In six months I bet he has another book out talking about the economics of retirement and keeping one's mind occupied lol....

Probably this. He is giving up his regular column. That doesn't mean that he won't write when he feels like it. It may be a book or periodic guest columns. Either way, he has left a legacy of great analysis and quotes to continue to mine.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I have a great story about Dr. Sowell. A few years ago I was in an argument with a left-leaning friend. She had a question for which I didn't have a ready answer. I emailed Dr. Sowell and presented him with the question. He answered the question and asked for my address. A few days later a box was delivered to my house. It contained the galleys for the as-yet unreleased latest edition of his book, Basic Economics. Keep in mind this book is several hundred pages. What he sent me was loose-leafed and printed on one side. Picture a ream of paper with a book written on it. Included was a very nice hand-signed letter to me. All on his dime because I sent him an email.

A great man, a brilliant man, and a very nice man.

What a terrific story.
    It doesn't surprise me that he would be that generous.
    His columns are always a must read.
    Sad to know that the columns will come to an end, but he's wise enough to stop before the inevitability of age catches up with him the rest of the way.
    Fair winds and following seas, Dr. Sowell.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Bumping an old thread to call your attention to a soon to air piece on Thomas Sowell called, "Common Sense in a Senseless World" sponsored by Free to Choose Network. The program will air on PBS.

Here is a link to the trailer:

Here is a link which you can use to find the station in your market.

It looks like it airs in Indiana on WFYI at 3:00 this Sunday, February 21.

Top Bottom