• jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Whites killed MLK. Now we honor him: Column

I thought that the celebration of MLK's birthday was supposed to honor a great man of the civil rights. Apparently not. It's now the day that all white people must self-deprocate and pretend that we all participated in the sins of past generations of individuals. And, of course, included in the mutual self-participation is the other half. The "they", who imagine they were personally victims of slavery, that somehow, the great grandparents strife is their own, even if they haven't descended from an actual person who was a slave.

Admittedly the sins of many individuals against Blacks have put them in a disadvantaged position today. But because of the culture of victimhood, many wallow in an imagined state of being, rather than rise above it. Yes. Individuals committed atrocities against Blacks, and that has a very negative cultural effect on Blacks that has evolved and metastasized into this culture of victimhood. Yes, individuals enslaved people and were victims of Slavery. The point is, for both races, there is no "we" there.

To fix the race issues, many individuals on both sides need to change their attitudes about race and culture. No amount of blaming people who weren't even alive prior to the civil rights era is going to solve the problems in their own communities. No amount of self-deprecation or self-victimizing is going to solve the soft racism of low expectations that happens on both sides.

jcj54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NE
    The answer is simple and very difficult to acheive due to human nature:
    Act the way Dr. King dreamed - judge others by the content of their character rather than the color of their skin....

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Whites killed MLK. Now we honor him: Column

I thought that the celebration of MLK's birthday was supposed to honor a great man of the civil rights. Apparently not. It's now the day that all white people must self-deprocate and pretend that we all participated in the sins of past generations of individuals. And, of course, included in the mutual self-participation is the other half. The "they", who imagine they were personally victims of slavery, that somehow, the great grandparents strife is their own, even if they haven't descended from an actual person who was a slave.

Admittedly the sins of many individuals against Blacks have put them in a disadvantaged position today. But because of the culture of victimhood, many wallow in an imagined state of being, rather than rise above it. Yes. Individuals committed atrocities against Blacks, and that has a very negative cultural effect on Blacks that has evolved and metastasized into this culture of victimhood. Yes, individuals enslaved people and were victims of Slavery. The point is, for both races, there is no "we" there.

To fix the race issues, many individuals on both sides need to change their attitudes about race and culture. No amount of blaming people who weren't even alive prior to the civil rights era is going to solve the problems in their own communities. No amount of self-deprecation or self-victimizing is going to solve the soft racism of low expectations that happens on both sides.

very well said jamil.

poptab

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    I listen to a black economist all the time. His name is Walter. Though im sure the author of that article would not consider that to count heh.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Is YDR even a real news site? How do people find this stuff? An opinion piece by someone no one has ever heard of.
    Doesn't really matter. I saw it linked on twitter. I posted that just as an example of a widespread sentiment. My whole point is "we" my ass. When it's not your fault, it's okay to say "they" referring to whose fault it was.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I'm always amazed at all the issues that were originally generated by a very small handful of southeastern tidewater aristocrats over 150 years ago. At least people in this country aren't killing one another over a 1000 year old family squabble like they do in the middle east. There is some hope.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    :popcorn:

Crazy thing is.....my dads family and some of my Mothers can be tracked back to involuntary servitude. That is how the blood line arrived here. Several did not survive.
    I am glad some did. I am also glad the boats dropped them off here. If not who knows what or where I would be even "If" I would be.

That this all took place can not be changed. That we are all "Here" now is what needs to be addressed.
    The victim thing needs to be dropped. No one alive today was part of this on either side. No one owes any one anything.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Interviewer: How do we stop racism?

Morgan Freeman: Stop talking about it.

I don't recall who the interviewer was but I'm sure someone can dig up the video. I saw it right here on INGO.

I don't normally care about the opinions of celebs or actors. This, I think, is quotable, however, not because he's Morgan Freeman, but because what he said was brilliant in its simplicity.

Blessings,
    Bill

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I don't recall who the interviewer was but I'm sure someone can dig up the video. I saw it right here on INGO.

I don't normally care about the opinions of celebs or actors. This, I think, is quotable, however, not because he's Morgan Freeman, but because what he said was brilliant in its simplicity.

Blessings,
    Bill

This will not go away until those who profit monetarily or gain power from it are no longer listened to.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Blessings,
    Bill

I think those sentiments have been mentioned before (by yours truly, as well as by others). I believe before Morgan Freeman said it. I'm glad, at least on this, he and I/we can agree. :thumbsup:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009

Crazy thing is.....my dads family and some of my Mothers can be tracked back to involuntary servitude. That is how the blood line arrived here. Several did not survive.
    I am glad some did. I am also glad the boats dropped them off here. If not who knows what or where I would be even "If" I would be.

That this all took place can not be changed. That we are all "Here" now is what needs to be addressed.
    The victim thing needs to be dropped. No one alive today was part of this on either side. No one owes any one anything.

My ancestors are all Kentucky hillbilly/farmers and native Americans. Some did fight in the war on the union side, I remember my great grandmother had some discharge papers.

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville

This, Exactly. The only way it end is if everyone let's it go.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This, Exactly. The only way it end is if everyone let's it go.

As long as people prosper from this and preach to the ill informed that they are owed something for the things none of us had anything to do with this will not go away.

Dr. King brought so much to the country. If he were alive today what might he think of how his work has been used.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    The ancestors of my paternal grandma were abolitionists and even part of the Underground Railroad.
    No one else on either side of my family's ancestry had a thing to do with slavery.
    It's mighty tiresome being assumed guilty of nefarious attitudes or behaviors.
    How much longer?

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    The ancestors of my paternal grandma were abolitionists and even part of the Underground Railroad.
    No one else on either side of my family's ancestry had a thing to do with slavery.
    It's mighty tiresome being assumed guilty of nefarious attitudes or behaviors.
    How much longer?

Same goes for the people who's ancestors immigrated here after slavery was abolished.

It was so long ago that it really is time to move on.

Top Bottom