• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    People who demand that the state be involved in religious instruction for school children should be careful what they wish for.

nnqxrk.jpg

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    True but I fail to see the relevance to the article.

How is it not obvious? Public schools are not the place for religious instruction. Period. The picture merely demonstrates the unintended consequences to those who can't see past the end of their nose.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    if that was my kid they wouldn't be going to that school anymore and I'd have to take many many many deep breaths before I said anything beyond that.

I fully agree. I think it is abhorrent that some people demand religious instruction in public schools. Religious instruction is a deeply personal thing, something that should be the business of one's family. It has no place in the hands of government officials.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    How is it not obvious? Public schools are not the place for religious instruction. Period. The picture merely demonstrates the unintended consequences to those who can't see past the end of their nose.

Well voluntary vs mandatory would be my reply. If it were a mandatory class that would change the discussion. If its voluntary, I see it no different than any other sport or club.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I fully agree. I think it is abhorrent that some people demand religious instruction in public schools. Religious instruction is a deeply personal thing, something that should be the business of one's family. It has no place in the hands of government officials.

Its done by an outside organization not government officials.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Yeah, you certainly wouldn`t want to teach awful things like, children obey your parents, or not to covet someone else`s possessions, or not to steal, lie, or murder, or commit adultery. That would only cause the taxpayers less, and cut down on jobs for those in law enforcement and welfare administration...

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    The government run public school system is a failure in teaching science, math and the proper use of the English language...why in the the world would you want them teaching your kids religion?

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Yeah, you certainly wouldn`t want to teach awful things like, children obey your parents, or not to covet someone else`s possessions, or not to steal, lie, or murder, or commit adultery. That would only cause the taxpayers less, and cut down on jobs for those in law enforcement and welfare administration...

That's not religion. That's teaching people to be good citizens. That should be getting taught at home, and practiced at school.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    People who demand that the state be involved in religious instruction for school children should be careful what they wish for.

I don't really mind either one as long as it's done in a way that doesn't have the effect of establishing a de facto religion. What I object to, is that if we have to have publicly paid education, I'd rather taxpayer money go towards only funding classes that enhances the student's faculties to earn as adults. So if a school has a class for students interested in becoming pastors, or clerics, fine. If it's just to enhance students spiritually, well, I don't care to fund that.

I didn't take the time to learn whether or not these 9 guidelines met any of that criteria, but I suspect not.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy

If you are not teaching this at home, and rather leave it to school teachers, you have failed as a parent.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The government run public school system is a failure in teaching science, math and the proper use of the English language...why in the the world would you want them teaching your kids religion?

As diverse as Christianity is, I am astonished that believers would support it. If I were spiritually inclined, I could not imagine trusting a public school to build my kid's spirituality.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    If you are not teaching this at home, and rather leave it to school teachers, you have failed as a parent.

Personally, I DID teach all this at home. The cost of social programs and of incarcerating such a huge number of the general population show`s that clearly, many parents are not teaching this at home, and the cost of it to society.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    That's not religion. That's teaching people to be good citizens. That should be getting taught at home, and practiced at school.

It should indeed be taught at home, but it obviously is not. And the "good citizenship" you allude to, is all based on Christian-Judaeo values and precepts, so it really is the periphery of so called religion.

Top Bottom