Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    REQUIRED VIEWING FOR ALL AMERICANS:

(If nothing else, watch Part 2.)

Full Version:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_boAGNPmNQ"]YouTube - Overview of America[/ame]

Part 2 only
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MW6AKVyi6As"]YouTube - Overview of America 2 of 4[/ame]

ETA: These videos are courtesy of the John Birch Society (JBS), an organization that provides education materials to help restore America to the principles of its founding. This video is definitely a very enlightening one. This video is one of the most valuable 30 minutes you can spend, especially if your sense of government/politics is still developing.

Last edited:

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    This needs to be shown in all the schools - at ALL levels and at least once a school year.

I agree. I wish I had seen it back when I was in school. Everything useful I know about Civics has been self taught.

That clip was made way before Obama. And yet when they described the fall of the Roman Empire from within, it sounded like a play-by-play of Obama's first 6 months. Scary. Learn from history or repeat it.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    It has some flaws in my opinion. If a monarchy does not exist and has not existed the same logic would lead one to conclude that a republic is nothing more than an elected oligarchy, but the clip does not say that.

Our founding fathers were in fact an oligarchy were they not?

None of our laws or even the Constitution is beyond changes desired by the majority. All of it can and has been changed and a majority does not need to exist to do it except on the Supreme Court.

Sometimes I wonder why all the fuss over democracy or republic. A republic is a form of democracy. They are not apples and oranges.

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    The fuss is right or wrong, when the huge immigration took place in the last of the 1800's and early 1900's, so many of the "new" people were looking for direction, and the Democratic politicians of the time were quick to seize on the opportunity by sending hoards of their people down to the processing centers to help smooth the transition. During that time, the word Democracy was used continually to describe the United States and it's customs and laws. Democrats [Democracy], Republicans [Republic]. What would be the fuss if I had reared by son to say "lack of sunlight" as opposed to "night." How about "lack of heat" as opposed to "cold"? It's a fine line, just like a property line.

Archaic_Entity

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    How about "lack of heat" as opposed to "cold"?

Technically he would be more correct than anyone else. 'Cold' as a scientific concept does not exist. There is heat, and there is lack of heat. Friction or not. That's it.

But I digress... I wish I had time to watch the video, I'll leave it up for after work.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    However it is described it is what it is. Everyone should be taught that our form of democracy is a republic and what both of these terms mean. Using them interchangeably is not wrong or inaccurate but perhaps not as precise as it could be.

Have you ever said Russia when meaning the Soviet Union? Ever said Great Britain when referring to England or the United Kingdom? Ever called a severe down pour a monsoon? These are commonly done and far more innaccurate than calling the United States a democracy.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    The best way I can explain it, is to say that the context of all the examples in the movie were descriptions of the ruling bodies of the land. When looked at in this context, the case is made that the USA was founded as a republic, since the law rules the land, not the whims of the majority.

One might make the case that we are a democratic Republic. Facets of democracy exist in installing new members of congress. But Congress doesn't rule us, nor does the President. The law rules the land. (...Until Obama follows the actions of the Roman Senators that destroyed the public sector and made Rome into a vulnerable welfare state.)

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    The best way I can explain it, is to say that the context of all the examples in the movie were descriptions of the ruling bodies of the land. When looked at in this context, the case is made that the USA was founded as a republic, since the law rules the land, not the whims of the majority.

One might make the case that we are a democratic Republic. Facets of democracy exist in installing new members of congress. But Congress doesn't rule us, nor does the President. The law rules the land. (...Until Obama follows the actions of the Roman Senators that destroyed the public sector and made Rome into a vulnerable welfare state.)

In a republic the people elect representative to run the government. The power to rule rests with the people. Consent of the governed is present in every form of government not just republics or other forms of democracy.

A republic is a form of democracy.:patriot:

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I just found the second part to the video. Equally informative.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEFA4uOPnV8]YouTube - Oligarchy and Republic - Only 2 True forms of Government[/ame]

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    At first I was caught off guard by the fact that some didn't know this was a republic? That it should be taught in school? Wow have I been out of touch! When I went to public school we were taught this was a republic. I take it now the kids don't even say the pledge of allegiance?

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

America is becoming a very sad place. If someone had told me in high school that one day I would be watching videos (films) explaining that America is a republic and others watching the same videos (films) would make comments like I wish they taught this in school I would have called that person a communist and kicked the crap out of them.

The world changes, but not always for the better. Good videos, keep them coming.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    Unfortunately, TopDog, it IS a sad fact that our kids aren't taught the correct things in school anymore. The school systems teach what will be on "the test". :xmad:

I am a school bus driver. I was transporting all levels and I saw, firsthand, that the kids don't know History, Civics, Government unless some of it is on the SATS, etc. Some of my black kids didn't even know who Martin Luther King was! Or what he had done.

The "No child left behind" needs to go! Our schools need to get back to the basics, "Reading, (W)riting, (A)rithmatic - the three "R"s.
    They "pass" problem kids just to get them out of their class. Now, they can't even use red ink to correct papers. (Purple)

The whole system is SO messed up! :xmad:

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    At first I was caught off guard by the fact that some didn't know this was a republic? That it should be taught in school? Wow have I been out of touch! When I went to public school we were taught this was a republic. I take it now the kids don't even say the pledge of allegiance?

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

America is becoming a very sad place. If someone had told me in high school that one day I would be watching videos (films) explaining that America is a republic and others watching the same videos (films) would make comments like I wish they taught this in school I would have called that person a communist and kicked the crap out of them.

The world changes, but not always for the better. Good videos, keep them coming.

I cannot say what is taught in every classroom but it is taught in mine. Saying the pledge every morning is state law in Indiana. It is said over the PA and most students stand and participate in it.

Just because a kid does not know something does not mean it was not taught in school. It was not learned, and that may be the teachers fault and it may be the students fault and it may be the parents fault, and it may be a combination of the forementioned.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I cannot say what is taught in every classroom but it is taught in mine. Saying the pledge every morning is state law in Indiana. It is said over the PA and most students stand and participate in it.

Just because a kid does not know something does not mean it was not taught in school. It was not learned, and that may be the teachers fault and it may be the students fault and it may be the parents fault, and it may be a combination of the forementioned.

I was wondering. It has been years since my daughter was in school. As I said I believe I am way out of touch on what is taking place in our school system. I'm glad to hear that it is still taught and the pledge is still said. Thank you for the information.

I know I must sound like a fool. flagtag why cant they use red ink to correct a paper? Are they trying to hide mistakes? I need to start talking to some relatives that have kids in school. This really sounds odd.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    I was wondering. It has been years since my daughter was in school. As I said I believe I am way out of touch on what is taking place in our school system. I'm glad to hear that it is still taught and the pledge is still said. Thank you for the information.

I know I must sound like a fool. flagtag why cant they use red ink to correct a paper? Are they trying to hide mistakes? I need to start talking to some relatives that have kids in school. This really sounds odd.

Self-esteem. They claim that red is to harsh and "crushes" a child's self- esteem. I guess they went to purple because it's "softer".
    I don't know if it's done everywhere. It shouldn't be done anywhere. No wonder there is so much trouble in schools anymore. The children aren't allowed to "fail" and learn from that. Can't hurt their feelings! Some games are no longer played for fear that the child"s feelings would be hurt if he/she is chosen last for team sports, etc.

They are turning our children into "wimps". Let them fall down so that they can learn to pick themselves up and try again.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    Mooresville
    I agree that this should be shown in school however todays kids seem like they want someone else to make up their minds for them. It seems that no one is willing to action or responsibility for themselves. I couldn't help but watch this and think to myself how great it most have been to live in a republic since it seems like we are moving closer and closer to a monarchy

Top Bottom