Major News Organizations Barred From White House Briefings???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CavMedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Plainfield
    This is a big issue. We may not agree with certain media outlets but banning them from being able to ask questions and hear the briefings first hand is a huge step towards fascism. I hope this doesnt last.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Risky move, IMHO, but then he can look that much more magnanimous when he lets them back in.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    This is a big issue. We may not agree with certain media outlets but banning them from being able to ask questions and hear the briefings first hand is a huge step towards fascism. I hope this doesnt last.

Facepalm.

Oh, wait.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.*

* And the President must not be a mean poopy-head and let everyone into his office that wants to be there.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Time and AP are abstaining from the briefings in solidarity with the banned outlets.

Agreed with above - Risky move, and going to accentuate the "attack against 1A/free-press" mindset.

Edit: Numerous White House reporters have split up the duties of transcribing the Spicer gaggle to share with their colleagues who were excluded.

This really is going to end up making the media look like the victim.

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Meh, it's not like they ever have anything good to say. Unless there's a story about economics or technology I just turn off the news.

CavMedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Plainfield
    So banning major news outlets that have a different political opinion is alright in your view? I guess it would be cool if the Trump Admin just released a weekly newsletter that gave us all our state sponsored propaganda.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Ari Fleischer tweeted this is incredibly common...

Have we forgotten that Obama implemented a team to create "news" and then feed it to reporters instead of them asking themselves or taking their own pictures?

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    So banning major news outlets that have a different political opinion is alright in your view? I guess it would be cool if the Trump Admin just released a weekly newsletter that gave us all our state sponsored propaganda.
    That may happen. Do you remember that Pence wanted to create an "official" State of Indiana news agency that would release all State information? The outcry against "controlled media" made him drop the idea.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    That may happen. Do you remember that Pence wanted to create an "official" State of Indiana news agency that would release all State information. The outcry of "controlled media" made him drop the idea.

I don't necessarily blame the Republicans for trying this ****, they need to find a way to control information, or at least make it neutral. Those in power of the information in America are predominantly liberal. You can only fight back so long before generations of new people only believe that certain mindset.

The right-leaning will fade away over time. America is just lucky to still have a strong sense of liberty.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

It's easy to get along with the media when the media is desperately trying to gain your approval like the broken child of an absentee father.....yes I'm talking about the Obama administration.

Reagan40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    too far from nature

You see, that is the problem. The news outlets should not hold and promote a certain political opinion. That is called commentary, not reporting the news. I don't know that we really have too many news outlets that actually just report the news anymore. So, if outlets are there to take what is said, and use it to promote the opinion of the reporter or news outlet, then they are not doing the job of the press. Also, this is not new. It is only being reported on now because they have an ax to grind with Trump. Also, some in the media have alleged that the previous administration paid the media to either suppress damaging stories or promote stories that would be positive to the administration. The major news outlets wont tell on themselves and report that though. I am far more concerned with the media being in bed with an administration than I am with them having an adversarial relationship.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Deputy comms dir denies ban

C5dDja-XEAAUcD8.jpg:large

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    This seems like an odd thing to have a debate about.

I wasn't there, but it seems easy enough to confirm whether the entire pool was present or not, plus a few non-pool. WTH?

indyjs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Greenwood
    As pointed out, these outlets gave up reporting news long ago. They have enough leakers. They don't need to be there. If you are outraged, then you have not paid attention to Obama's antics.

Top Bottom