Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    RCB
    Marksman

Ok for ex-felon to own pellet guns?

My neighbor down the road has something ravaging his chickens and ducks. I know he can't have a firearm in his possession, but I would assume a pellet rifle would be ok? He thinks it's coyotes, but whatever it is, is watching for when he isn't there.

I have a pellet rifle that could at least give most things an unpleasant zip. Unfortunately, since the poultry is free ranging, traps are out.

Anyhow.. is there any laws anyone is aware of that would prevent me from giving him a pellet rifle?

Marksman
    I think its ok, because they are AIR RIFLES. Not a firearm. I personally wouldnt let him borrow mine, but kindly point him to Dicks where they can be cheaply purchased.

Well, IANAL, but in the city limits of Elkhart, discharging a pellet gun is considered discharging a weapon, and as such can land you in serious trouble - it is considered a weapon in that it fires a projectile...... as such, it is reasonable to assume that should he be caught with a "weapon", and it slips that you gave it to him, that you may find yourself in more trouble than it is worth.
    Mortui non mordant.......

RCB
    Marksman
    I have known him for most of my life. A very trustworthy person. Just one of those deals where trying to fight it was more expensive than taking the plea agreement... something I try to warn people about regarding plea agreements. They seem so easy, but you have to think of all the consequences.

Also fortunately we both live in the country. So no laws about discharging pellet guns.. or other firearms for that matter

Marksman
    upon more searching, some states consider a firearm anything that can shoot a bullet...and a pelletgun is included, which sounds funny at frist, but if youve seen what a big bore pellet gun can do...i guess it makes sense. i dont know about IN for sure, but it doesnt seem worthwhile to partake in any way.

Shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by hookedonjeep View Post
    Well, IANAL, but in the city limits of Elkhart, discharging a pellet gun is considered discharging a weapon, and as such can land you in serious trouble - it is considered a weapon in that it fires a projectile...... as such, it is reasonable to assume that should he be caught with a "weapon", and it slips that you gave it to him, that you may find yourself in more trouble than it is worth.
    Better take away all of the nerf toys from the children

These laws are nuts...

RCB
    Marksman
    Called the Sheriff's department and they didn't know. All they would say is that it's not a "firearm" but they were not sure.

Expert Tactical Firearms Training's Avatar
    I can't give your neighbor legal advice, but here is Indiana's definition of a "firearm":

IC 35-47-1-5
    "Firearm"
    Sec. 5. "Firearm" means any weapon:
    (1) that is:
    (A) capable of expelling; or
    (B) designed to expel; or
    (2) that may readily be converted to expel;
    a projectile by means of an explosion.

As I've said before, to me, "an explosion" would require ignition and combustion, as opposed to merely the release of compressed air.

By contrast, look at the first portion of Illinois' definition of "firearm," which specifically captures some air guns, depending on muzzle velocity and caliber of the projectile:

"'Firearm' means any device, by whatever name known, which is designed to expel a projectile or projectiles by the action of an explosion, expansion of gas or escape of gas; excluding however:
    (1) any pneumatic gun, spring gun, paint ball gun or B-B gun which either expels a single globular projectile not exceeding .18 inch in diameter and which has a maximum muzzle velocity of less than 700 feet per second or breakable paint balls containing washable marking colors;
    (2) . . . . ."

Hope this helps.

Guy

So, those new electronic guns are not guns?
    Magnetic accelerator gun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Nullification (Great Book)MUST LISTEN --> NO AGENDA audio podcasThe message behind the news. Recorded Sundays/Thursdays .
    Today's Indianapolis area Event Calendar ** Atlas Shrugged library link

are felons allowed to own steak knives?
    Debt is normal be weird!!! www.daveramsey.com

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.-Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast