Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Nurse Arrested Because She Would Not Draw Blood Without Consent

A DUI suspect was brought to a hospital. A police officer arrived concurrently. He wanted blood drawn from his subject immediately.

I believe the rule is that the patient must give consent to this action. Hospital rules said the patient also had to be admitted before this action would be performed. The nurse insisted on sticking to the rules.

The officer didn't like this reply and arrested her.

Video at the source.
    Nurse arrested on the job sues police - 9/21/09 - Chicago News - abc7chicago.com

September 21, 2009 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A nurse is suing the Chicago Police Department after her arrest at Illinois Masonic Hospital.

Lisa Hofstra was handcuffed when she did not give a DUI suspect a blood test.

Hofstra claims she told the arresting officer that the suspect would have to be a hospital patient first.

The nurse held a press conference on Monday to announce that she has filed the lawsuit over the disputed blood test.

Lisa Hofstra says she encounters police officers all the time during her work in the emergency room, has a good relationship with them and would not want to keep them from doing their jobs. But she says she was just trying to do her job last month when she was arrested.

"I still can't believe that happened. I did absolutely nothing wrong," said Lisa Hofstra, emergency room nurse.

Lisa Hofstra was in charge of the emergency room at Illinois Masonic Hospital in the early morning hours of august first when she says an already hectic shift took a turn for the worst.

"This particular officer was quite belligerent with me and staff from the second he walked in our doors," said Hofstra.

Hofstra says the officer brought a suspected drunk driver into the ER and demanded a blood alcohol test for the woman.

Hofstra says she explained that it's hospital protocol to first register a person as a patient before conducting a medical procedure. That's when Hofstra says the officer became argumentative with both her and her supervisor. At one point, he had to be removed from the nurses station by security but he came back.

"He snucked up behind me grabbed my arms. I didn't even realize what was happening...I just saw the faces of the people in front of me before I realized I was in handcuffs," said Hofstra.

Hospital surveillance video shows Hofstra in handcuffs, being walked out of the hospital and into the back of the officer's squad car.

Her attorney points out that the officer is seen smiling while she sat for 45 minutes before being released.

"Literally he held her hostage until there was a blood test done," said Blake Horwitz, Hofstra's attorney.

Horwitz filed a lawsuit on her behalf against the city of Chicago and the officer, alleging excessive force and false arrest.

"I would like this officer to be reprimanded for doing this. I don't like the thought of him being on the street," said Hofstra.

Hofstra is filing this lawsuit on her own, independent of the hospital. There is no comment on the matter from Illinois Masonic.

This case is also being reviewed by the Independent Police Review Authority.
    Last edited by rambone; 09-22-2009 at 00:50.
    In Soviet Amerika, the Law violates YOU

Wow...

I hope he gets in as much trouble as she would had she drawn the blood without consent or court order. I.E. Losing job and title for life plus criminal charges of assault and battery.

But, it's Chicago. I've been held at gunpoint by Chicago police for having tinted windows while they searched my car without consent and then left the scene with my posessions all over the ground.

There is a bad apple in every bunch. Or is it three in this case? Seems to me the other two officers standing around are just as guilty as the officer who put her in the car.

When in doubt, JFC.

Quote Originally Posted by danmdevries View Post
    Wow...

I hope he gets in as much trouble as she would had she drawn the blood without consent or court order. I.E. Losing job and title for life plus criminal charges of assault and battery.

But, it's Chicago. I've been held at gunpoint by Chicago police for having tinted windows while they searched my car without consent and then left the scene with my posessions all over the ground.
    Do you live there? Move, and get out of there.

To the OP, I hope they completely fine and fire him.

Grandmaster
    They tried to force me to take a blood test in Morgan County. Told them they weren't sticking a needle in my arm and they took me to Morgan County Hospital anyway. I continued to refuse and the Deputy got pissed. Didn't arrest me, but boy was he pissed!

I hope they fire this idiot. I don't think the other officers should get fired. Maybe they didn't know the law either. As long as they didn't partake in the arrest but were just THERE then I don't see MUCH of a problem. Maybe some education is in order...?

Quote Originally Posted by mettle View Post
    Do you live there? Move, and get out of there.
    I've been telling people that for years. Apparently those that DO live there like it there...

Mars Hill, IN vacation capital of the world
    Quote Originally Posted by SavageEagle View Post
    They tried to force me to take a blood test in Morgan County.
    Why did they want you to take a blood test?
    ACAB

Grandmaster
    Cause I was young and dumb and ran a stop sign on Greencastle road. Said if it was my time to go it was my time to go. Unfortunately, it was my S10's time to go along with a brand new Honda... THANK GOD no one was hurt. Cheating women make teenagers do stupid stuff.

Nice to know the hospital is behind her 100%.

Meh.

Just what CPD needs, yet another lawsuit.

My CPD story: Chicago cops tried to shake my friends and I down on our way to Lem's BBQ. Our "fine" was to be payable to him for a laundry list of offenses.
    Fight the real enemy--pocket carry!

OK the world is ticking me off. This is BS.
    "If the American people ever allow the banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property, until their children wake up homless on the continent their fathers conquered." -Thomas Jefferson, 1791

I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast