Why do people claim Bush Started the war in Afghanistan?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama

Was it not Al Quaida that started the war and were they not based in Afghanistan and helped by the former regime of that nation who started the war.

Did not Bush simply move the theater of conflict FROM the USA and take it back to them?

And for those that do, every time, and I mean EVERY SINGLE TIME, I have asked them if we should simply let terrorists kill thousands of our citizens without reprisal they don't answer, or change the topic, or go away.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    But...but... if you use your theory, you cannot then say the US is bad, evil, imperialistic.

FAIL!!

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    But, Bush lied and people died. That is all you need to know. Right?

I can hear the trolls running for this thread already....

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008

NO that is what they claim about IRAQ. That is a whole different war.

I am specifically referring to AFGHANISTAN in this thread.

I would hope that we can stay on topic and stick with the war in Afghanistan.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis

Afghanistan is the good war. During the campaign Obama said it is the war we should be fighting, so it is OK.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Because if they looked at more than the last Presidency they might have to decide that we as a whole have elected several village idiots. Not in a row but random enough to gum up the works...

Actually if you are looking for a POTUS to throw Afghanistan in their laps for responsibility of it... You might have to go back to Carter...

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana

I think you are giving them too much credit as I don't think they are able to differentiate.

As you said, we were attacked by an organization operating out of Afghanistan. We gave the Taliban ample warning and opportunity to surrender the perpetrators to us as we began to build up our forces. They refused to do so. We followed through on our threats. The libs are just incapable of following that logic.

CombatVet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bartholomew County

Was it not Al Quaida that started the war and were they not based in Afghanistan and helped by the former regime of that nation who started the war.

Did not Bush simply move the theater of conflict FROM the USA and take it back to them?

And for those that do, every time, and I mean EVERY SINGLE TIME, I have asked them if we should simply let terrorists kill thousands of our citizens without reprisal they don't answer, or change the topic, or go away.

Well if you buy into the conspiracy theories, then that might be why. You know, "We" made up the lists of people on the planes, flew them into our own towers so people could get rich and take away our rights." THOSE conspiracy theories. Oh and it was a "missile" that hit the pentagon, not a plane, ect. :rolleyes:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I think you are giving them too much credit as I don't think they are able to differentiate.

As you said, we were attacked by an organization operating out of Afghanistan. We gave the Taliban ample warning and opportunity to surrender the perpetrators to us as we began to build up our forces. They refused to do so. We followed through on our threats. The libs are just incapable of following that logic.

I think it is also reasonable to contend that the Taliban regime was complicit with Al Quaida and while they may have been different, one being a political regime running a nation, the other being a para-military group operating under the protection and consent of the regime and with the full knowledge of the regime. It is reasonable to say the two were linked arm in arm, acted in concert and shared a common ideology.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    Bush.jpg

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg

This is a great question, despite how some may/have used it to form political jabs at the current administration. Anyway, here goes my answer. President Bush did not "start" a war. He simply did what he was supposed to do as the elected leader of this country and defended our lives. Yes, he took the war where it was to be fought; where the enemy dwells. You hit us with a rock, we hit you with a bomb; you kill 2,000 of us; we kill 20,000 of you. Sounds drastic, but that's how you make people think twice before they attack the U.S.

It's too easy to simply say that he did this wrong or that wrong. There are too many facets of war, beyond the imagination of the uniformed, including me. I choose to support my President (Dem or Rep) in the face of any enemy.

I may not like everything Bush did domestically, but undoubtedly when it came to foreign policy, he made some excellent decisions in the face of tough choices.

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I think going after Al Queada was the right thing to do, in Afghanistan (Not so much on Iraq, but I wont take the thread there). But along the Afghan lines, why did we only look at Afghanistan, Al Queada is predominately Saudi... Why didn't we hold the Saudis feet to the fires? Wasn't alot of Al Q's backing monetarily going through established ties in Saudi Arabia? or did we decide to turn a blind eye due to our economic and diplomatic status with SA???? It's hard to jump on board when it seems we pick and choose what countries we go after, as I am relatively certain most if not all countries in the ME would be in the same boat as Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran....
    BTW, it would be great to here some thoughtful feedback as opposed to a snappy, sarcastic one liner from some one who thinks I am way off....

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

The biggest thing Bush did wrong in Afghanistan was not prosecute the war properly, instead getting bogged down in his tiff with Saddam. Of course, if Bush Sr. had done that properly we might be out of Iraq by now.

BTW, claiming that anyone who might disagree with you is a troll is a pretty tired old chestnut around here.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    The biggest thing Bush did wrong in Afghanistan was not prosecute the war properly
    Perhaps so, but that is not the topic.

Of course, if Bush Sr. had done that properly we might be out of Iraq by now.
    Bush Sr did what was allowed under the approval of the United Nations. Nothing more. But again, that is not the topic.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    The biggest thing Bush did wrong in Afghanistan was not prosecute the war properly, instead getting bogged down in his tiff with Saddam. Of course, if Bush Sr. had done that properly we might be out of Iraq by now.

BTW, claiming that anyone who might disagree with you is a troll is a pretty tired old chestnut around here.

I'm no expert, but I tend to believe the reason Bush Sr., didn't finish the job was due to Saudi Arabia coming to the assistance of Iraq. Also, our "allies" touted the fact that the purpose was to liberate Kuwait, not overthrow Sadaam.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I believe most of the nay saying is directed to Iraq, I do not see much for Afghanistan. We will NEVER have a stable democratic government in Afghanistan, their culture, traditions, history are far too different. Anyway, Al-Qaeda is operating from Pakistan, a place we have little interest in entering. We entered for all the right reasons but we let Osama slip through our fingers because we wanted the Afgan forces to do most of the heavy lifting with our SF guys assisting. If we went in there, balls to the wall, we might have cut Al-Qaeda off from fleeing. Oh well, we did accomplish one goal ,decimate Al-Qaeda. Too bad that we let many flee and gave them time to rebuild in a country we cannot get to them.

Top Bottom