Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    JcJ
    Expert

Hendricks county firearms ordinance questions.

Does anyone have a link or first hand knowledge of any Hendricks county firearms laws/code/ordinance etc? I have Googled my ass off and found nothing.

I am specifically looking for conformation about whether shooting on my own property is in fact legal (with proper backstop, safety precautions, yada yada yada.. Everyone I have asked says it's legal but the B**** across the street from me keeps squawking about calling the sheriff on me and a fellow gun enthusiast neighbor of mine.. I would like to see something in print before I press the situation any further, like having the next NFA day at my house...

Thanks in advance,
    JCJ

It is legal. I called the Brownsburg Police station and they didnt know....yea i know....So I called the Hendricks County Sheriffs department, and they said it was legal. This was to shoot in the backyard of a house in Brownsburg.
    Opinions expressed by me are not my actual opinions

"The constitution of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
    -- Thomas Jefferson

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's teeth and keyston under Independence." --George Washington

ATM
    Quote Originally Posted by JcJ View Post
    Googled my ass off
    GMAO!

http://www.appleseedusa.org/

Say no to drugs. Say yes to bacon!

Diamond Collision Services AllenM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ATM View Post
    GMAO!

Hmmm GMAO is that a new one?
    Blessed are those who in the face of evil can focus on the front sight.

Marksman
    I don't have written proof, but my grandmother lives north of Brownsburg. We go out and shoot every now and then. The neighbors have called the police on us on two different occasions. The first time was a DNR officer and the second time both a Brownsburg police officer and a Hendricks county sheriff came out. Both times they asked if we owned the property, we said yes, then they told us to have a nice day and left.
    Brandon

Glock 19 w/ 147gr HST - OC/CC
    Kel-Tec Pf9 w/ 147gr HST - DCC
    Mossberg 500 Cruiser Tactical w/ Fiocchi 00 - HD

Call the Sheriff's department before you shoot to give them a heads up, that way when the A-hole calls to complain they'll tell him where to go!!

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Wherever my wife and the bacon are. Anywhere else is not living, just existing.
    Quote Originally Posted by JcJ View Post
    Does anyone have a link or first hand knowledge of any Hendricks county firearms laws/code/ordinance etc? I have Googled my ass off and found nothing.

I am specifically looking for conformation about whether shooting on my own property is in fact legal (with proper backstop, safety precautions, yada yada yada.. Everyone I have asked says it's legal but the B**** across the street from me keeps squawking about calling the sheriff on me and a fellow gun enthusiast neighbor of mine.. I would like to see something in print before I press the situation any further, like having the next NFA day at my house...

Thanks in advance,
    JCJ
    In the absence of law to the contrary prior to 1994 (when pre-emption was passed), firing a firearm on your own property is not unlawful, therefore the b**** across the street can call all she wants. When the sheriff arrives, you might suggest that if she knowingly keeps calling on you, knowing you're not violating any laws, perhaps the deputy might speak with her on the fact that while shooting on your own property is lawful, false informing is not.

As for something in print, the burden is upon her to provide that. There is no law that says you can't wear a bright red shirt to a funeral on Sunday, either.

On the other hand, has said b**** ever fired a firearm before? Her complaints may be about the noise, or they may be about her fear of scary guns. You might consider inviting her over to shoot sometime and teaching her about firearm safety while showing her the precautions you take to ensure the only things hit by your flying lead are paper targets, aluminum cans, or those "watermelon tangos". The b**** might just become a convert and give you another range to shoot on-hers!

Blessings,
    B
    Last edited by Bill of Rights; 08-30-2008 at 12:18. Reason: Erroneous information greyed out.

Unless things have changed recently it was legal to shoot in Hendricks County. Bob Cheek was having the sheriff called on him for shooting on his property but it is /was legal. Most of the time it would be a Hendricks County Deputy shooting with him.
    Freedom is defined by the character of those who defend it

JcJ
    Expert
    Thanks for all the input guys,

Part of the problem is we live in a development with a Brownsburg address and some seem to think that we follow the Burgs ordinances. We have had the sheriff/FD called for our fire pit, in the Burg you need a permit for burning, but not in Hendricks county.

Brownsburg 'proper' has this on the books-

B) Shooting of firearms prohibited. No person shall fire or discharge, or cause to be fired or discharged, within the limits of the Town, any firearm. (`92 Code, 6-67)
    I don't live within the town limits so this is not a problem until the idiots annex us.

As far as inviting her, I would love to, with any other person. This thing isn't human

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    IIRC Hendricks County used to have an ordinance that set some kind of guideline for shooting, like not within 300 feet of any structure that was not yours.
    VUPDblue's Rule #1: Don't be a jerk.

Marion County Fish and Game.Central Indiana's best shooting
    sports facility!

Rules of the INGO Classifieds

INGO rules of conduct

INGO Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast