Hendricks county firearms ordinance questions.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JcJ

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Does anyone have a link or first hand knowledge of any Hendricks county firearms laws/code/ordinance etc? I have Googled my ass off and found nothing.

I am specifically looking for conformation about whether shooting on my own property is in fact legal (with proper backstop, safety precautions, yada yada yada.. Everyone I have asked says it's legal but the B**** across the street from me keeps squawking about calling the sheriff on me and a fellow gun enthusiast neighbor of mine.. I would like to see something in print before I press the situation any further, like having the next NFA day at my house...

Thanks in advance,
    JCJ

Paul

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Brownsburg
    It is legal. I called the Brownsburg Police station and they didnt know....yea i know....So I called the Hendricks County Sheriffs department, and they said it was legal. This was to shoot in the backyard of a house in Brownsburg.

pmpmstrb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    I don't have written proof, but my grandmother lives north of Brownsburg. We go out and shoot every now and then. The neighbors have called the police on us on two different occasions. The first time was a DNR officer and the second time both a Brownsburg police officer and a Hendricks county sheriff came out. Both times they asked if we owned the property, we said yes, then they told us to have a nice day and left.

bradp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Jamestown, IN
    Call the Sheriff's department before you shoot to give them a heads up, that way when the A-hole calls to complain they'll tell him where to go!!

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Does anyone have a link or first hand knowledge of any Hendricks county firearms laws/code/ordinance etc? I have Googled my ass off and found nothing.

I am specifically looking for conformation about whether shooting on my own property is in fact legal (with proper backstop, safety precautions, yada yada yada.. Everyone I have asked says it's legal but the B**** across the street from me keeps squawking about calling the sheriff on me and a fellow gun enthusiast neighbor of mine.. I would like to see something in print before I press the situation any further, like having the next NFA day at my house...

Thanks in advance,
    JCJ

In the absence of law to the contrary prior to 1994 (when pre-emption was passed), firing a firearm on your own property is not unlawful, therefore the b**** across the street can call all she wants. When the sheriff arrives, you might suggest that if she knowingly keeps calling on you, knowing you're not violating any laws, perhaps the deputy might speak with her on the fact that while shooting on your own property is lawful, false informing is not.

As for something in print, the burden is upon her to provide that. There is no law that says you can't wear a bright red shirt to a funeral on Sunday, either.

On the other hand, has said b**** ever fired a firearm before? Her complaints may be about the noise, or they may be about her fear of scary guns. You might consider inviting her over to shoot sometime and teaching her about firearm safety while showing her the precautions you take to ensure the only things hit by your flying lead are paper targets, aluminum cans, or those "watermelon tangos". The b**** might just become a convert and give you another range to shoot on-hers!

Blessings,
    B

Last edited:

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Unless things have changed recently it was legal to shoot in Hendricks County. Bob Cheek was having the sheriff called on him for shooting on his property but it is /was legal. Most of the time it would be a Hendricks County Deputy shooting with him.

JcJ

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Thanks for all the input guys,

Part of the problem is we live in a development with a Brownsburg address and some seem to think that we follow the Burgs ordinances. We have had the sheriff/FD called for our fire pit, in the Burg you need a permit for burning, but not in Hendricks county.

Brownsburg 'proper' has this on the books-

B) Shooting of firearms prohibited. No person shall fire or discharge, or cause to be fired or discharged, within the limits of the Town, any firearm. (`92 Code, § 6-67)
    I don't live within the town limits so this is not a problem until the idiots annex us.

As far as inviting her, I would love to, with any other person. This thing isn't human:n00b:

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    IIRC Hendricks County used to have an ordinance that set some kind of guideline for shooting, like not within 300 feet of any structure that was not yours.

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    In the absence of law to the contrary prior to 1994 (when pre-emption was passed), firing a firearm on your own property is not unlawful, therefore the b**** across the street can call all she wants. When the sheriff arrives, you might suggest that if she knowingly keeps calling on you, knowing you're not violating any laws, perhaps the deputy might speak with her on the fact that while shooting on your own property is lawful, false informing is not.

As for something in print, the burden is upon her to provide that. There is no law that says you can't wear a bright red shirt to a funeral on Sunday, either.
    ...snip...

Blessings,
    B

You are incorrect sir. The pre-emption law does not cover the discharge of firearms.

[qoute] IC 35-47-11-1
    Applicability of chapter
    Sec. 1. (a) Section 2 of this chapter applies to all units (as defined in IC 36-1-2-23). All other sections of this chapter apply to all units other than townships.
    (b) This chapter applies only if a statute expressly grants a legislative body the authority to adopt an emergency ordinance under this chapter.
    (c) This chapter does not affect the validity of an ordinance adopted before, and in effect on, January 1, 1994.
    As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.13.

Regulation of firearms by units other than townships
    Sec. 2. Notwithstanding IC 36-1-3, a unit may not regulate in any manner the ownership, possession, sale, transfer, or transportation of firearms (as defined in IC 35-47-1-5) or ammunition except as follows:
    (1) This chapter does not apply to land, buildings, or other real property owned or administered by a unit, except highways (as defined in IC 8-23-1-23) or public highways (as defined in IC 8-2.1-17-14).
    (2) Notwithstanding the limitation in this section, a unit may use the unit's planning and zoning powers under IC 36-7-4 to prohibit the sale of firearms within two hundred (200) feet of a school by a person having a business that did not sell firearms within two hundred (200) feet of a school before April 1, 1994.
    (3) Notwithstanding the limitation in this section, a legislative body of a unit other than a township may adopt an emergency ordinance or a unit other than a township may take other action allowed under section 6 of this chapter to regulate the sale of firearms anywhere within the unit for a period of not more than seventy-two (72) hours after the regulatory action takes effect.
    As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.13. [/quote]

ashylarry

Expert
    Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    May 9, 2008
    Greencastle
    I guess I pissed her off last night again? :):

All I shoot is my AR with ciener kit. And only shoot <50 rounds each time. I dont shoot late, early, rapid, anything that would really **** somebody off.

Maybe she should come over here and bitch instead of complaining to you.

JcJ

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    I guess I pissed her off last night again? :):

All I shoot is my AR with ciener kit. And only shoot <50 rounds each time. I dont shoot late, early, rapid, anything that would really **** somebody off.

Maybe she should come over here and bitch instead of complaining to you.

It's both of us..:D

No worries,;)

Top Bottom