• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Except this time only the feds, certain cops and drug warriors (and their supporters) are going to be pissed. Looks like the voters in Arizona will get to choose whether or not to legalise medical marijuana. That'll be something for the feds to chew on, too. I do think their law is going to be a bit too strict and not as broad as it should be, tho. Guess you have to take what you can get in some states, tho.

via Tenth Amendment Center

Just when you thought Arizona couldn’t get any more provocative, or push any more of the federal government’s buttons, it looks like America’s 48th state may actually become the 15th state to adopt another very controversial law!
    This proposed law, on the other hand, may actually make some people on the Left, as well as the Right, happy for a change. I have my doubts about whether it will make those who put party above principle, or anyone employed by the U.S. Department of Justice happy, however.
    While Arizona was getting tons of media attention related to the passage of its high profile immigration enforcement law, (SB 1070), the grassroots activists that were delivering more than 100 boxes of petitions containing 252,000 signatures to the Arizona Secretary of State’s office received little.
    But this week, Fox 11 Arizona’s website reported:
    “Secretary of State Ken Bennett’s office on Tuesday certified that organizers of the initiative campaign had turned in enough signatures to get the measure on the ballot.”
    What measure is he referring to?
    The Medical Marijuana Initiative, of course! The initiative, which Arizona voters will soon have a chance to vote into law this November, would do seven things according to the Arizona Medical Marijuana Policy Project’s website:

• Allow terminally and seriously ill patients who find relief from marijuana to use it with their doctors’ approval.
    • Protect these seriously ill patients from arrest and prosecution for the simple act of taking their doctor-recommended medicine.
    • Permit qualifying patients or their caregivers to legally purchase their medicine from tightly regulated clinics, as they would any other medicine — so they need not purchase it from the criminal market.
    • Permit qualifying patients or their caregivers to cultivate their own marijuana for medical use if a regulated medical marijuana clinic is not located within 25 miles of the qualifying patient.
    • Create registry identification cards, so that law enforcement officials could easily tell who was a registered patient, and establish penalties for false statements and fraudulent ID cards.
    • Allow patients and their caregivers who are arrested to discuss their medical use in court.
    • Keep commonsense restrictions on the medical use of marijuana, including prohibitions on public use of marijuana and driving under the influence of marijuana.
    The AMMPP, which is a grassroots organization, has been devoted to passing a medical marijuana initiative in Arizona in November 2010. As they explain on their homepage:
    “Currently, seriously ill people who use marijuana on the advice of their doctor to treat illnesses such as cancer, AIDS, and multiple sclerosis are subject to arrest and imprisonment, simply for trying to stimulate their appetite or alleviate their pain.”
    More at the source.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Good for them! While I think marijuana should be completely legal (though I have no intentions of ever trying it), this is at least a step in the correct direction.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Glad to see at least one state start to try to crack the strangle hold the feds have on we the people. If our federal government has any problems with Arizona, or any other state, maybe it is about time they read that piece of paper they swore to uphold, also known as The Constitution of the United States of America.

T-rav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Kudos to Az, they are looking better than Texas anymore. I agree with mk I feel no need as to why some drug like marijuana needs to be illegal.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    HOORAH!!!! GO ARIZONA!!! I seriously might be looking into moving there. NO safe haven for ILLEGALS, as PRO-2nd Amendment as it gets anywhere!, and now recognizing marijuana has a real medical use, IT ALL BOILS DOWN TO A SOVEREIGN STATE that isnt afraid to tell the feds to go F themselves. STATES RIGHTS!!!!! Arizona is becoming a poster child for the principles this country was founded on.

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    That's great to hear. Once again though, Indiana just needs to top Arizona and completely legalize it, just regulate it for driving under our already existing impairment laws.

DocBoCook

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Clermont
    That's great to hear. Once again though, Indiana just needs to top Arizona and completely legalize it, just regulate it for driving under our already existing impairment laws.
    +1. It should be just like alcohol. legal for use as long as you don't operate machinery etc.. under the influence.
    We should be allowed to do what we want to our body. the .gov shouldn't be involved in that.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    just regulate it for driving under our already existing impairment laws.

Current Indiana law requires no impairment, merely the presence of marijuana in the blood or urine is illegal.

Glad to see at least one state start to try to crack the strangle hold the feds have on we the people

Several states have medical marijuana. There are more medical marijuana clinics in Los Angeles than Starbucks now.

It remains to be seen whether the feds make their move on them. If the feds do not stop it in California it will spread across the country (and seems it has stolen a march on the feds).

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Current Indiana law requires no impairment, merely the presence of marijuana in the blood or urine is illegal.

I thought the rule was that they could only be arrested for what was substances were physically found on them. I didn't think there was any legal regulation for having marijuana in your system.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I didn't think there was any legal regulation for having marijuana in your system.

Walking down the street? No.

Walking down the street while on probation? Yes.

Operating a motor vehicle with marijuana in your blood or urine? Yes.

Indiana Code 9-30-5-1 (c).

IC 9-30-5-1
    Class C misdemeanor; defense
    Sec. 1. (a) A person who operates a vehicle with an alcohol concentration equivalent to at least eight-hundredths (0.08) gram of alcohol but less than fifteen-hundredths (0.15) gram of alcohol per:
    (1) one hundred (100) milliliters of the person's blood; or
    (2) two hundred ten (210) liters of the person's breath;
    commits a Class C misdemeanor.
    (b) A person who operates a vehicle with an alcohol concentration equivalent to at least fifteen-hundredths (0.15) gram of alcohol per:
    (1) one hundred (100) milliliters of the person's blood; or
    (2) two hundred ten (210) liters of the person's breath;
    commits a Class A misdemeanor.
    (c) A person who operates a vehicle with a controlled substance listed in schedule I or II of IC 35-48-2 or its metabolite in the person's body commits a Class C misdemeanor.
    (d) It is a defense to subsection (c) that the accused person consumed the controlled substance under a valid prescription or order of a practitioner (as defined in IC 35-48-1) who acted in the course of the practitioner's professional practice.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    It may be "overprescribed" especially in California, but it certainly does have medical benefits.

I find it an outrage that Indiana has no medical exemption. Something to work on.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I'm all for legalizing marijuana, but calling it medicine is absurd.
    Why? Numerous studies have shown it to be efficacious for a variety of maladies, from cancers to MS and HIV/AIDS symptoms. What constitutes a "medicine" in you mind? Is "medicine" something that only comes from a pharmaceutical company?

JDonhardt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    Why? Numerous studies have shown it to be efficacious for a variety of maladies, from cancers to MS and HIV/AIDS symptoms. What constitutes a "medicine" in you mind? Is "medicine" something that only comes from a pharmaceutical company?

Thats a good point, but I liken it to alcohol promoting relaxation. It isnt a medicine either. Marijuana is a drug used to get high, anyone who says it isnt is either lying or they simply dont know anything about it. Getting high on that drug may have some positive effects for people with diseases, but so might cocaine - maybe some one has sore gums?

I say legalize it all the way. Let people get high if they want. Its really not all that bad for humans. Its no more unhealthy than cigarettes or fast food. It isnt even close to as harmful as alcohol. Many who use it attest to its positive spiritual effects and such. And hey, if you have headaches, go ahead and smoke a joint if you want.

The part I'm against is putting all the legal restrictions around it - thats just more government telling humans what they can and cant do. I guess thats the part I'm really against.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Legalize it and tax it like tobacco. Apply driving impaired laws like alcohol.
    Why the call to tax it? Why must everything that some people dislike or don't use be subjected to over regulation and taxation? Should ammo be subject to taxation? Targets? How about twinkies or a soda? Maybe we could add more taxes to alcohol (somewhere in the neighbourhood of 50% of the cost of a bottle of bourbon is taxes). I say legalise it an get government out of the equation entirely. Don't use it as another source of revenue for an entity that is already cancerous in its growth and presence.

Top Bottom