Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Arizona Does It Again

Except this time only the feds, certain cops and drug warriors (and their supporters) are going to be pissed. Looks like the voters in Arizona will get to choose whether or not to legalise medical marijuana. That'll be something for the feds to chew on, too. I do think their law is going to be a bit too strict and not as broad as it should be, tho. Guess you have to take what you can get in some states, tho.

via Tenth Amendment Center

Just when you thought Arizona couldn’t get any more provocative, or push any more of the federal government’s buttons, it looks like America’s 48th state may actually become the 15th state to adopt another very controversial law!
    This proposed law, on the other hand, may actually make some people on the Left, as well as the Right, happy for a change. I have my doubts about whether it will make those who put party above principle, or anyone employed by the U.S. Department of Justice happy, however.
    While Arizona was getting tons of media attention related to the passage of its high profile immigration enforcement law, (SB 1070), the grassroots activists that were delivering more than 100 boxes of petitions containing 252,000 signatures to the Arizona Secretary of State’s office received little.
    But this week, Fox 11 Arizona’s website reported:
    “Secretary of State Ken Bennett’s office on Tuesday certified that organizers of the initiative campaign had turned in enough signatures to get the measure on the ballot.”
    What measure is he referring to?
    The Medical Marijuana Initiative, of course! The initiative, which Arizona voters will soon have a chance to vote into law this November, would do seven things according to the Arizona Medical Marijuana Policy Project’s website:

• Allow terminally and seriously ill patients who find relief from marijuana to use it with their doctors’ approval.
    • Protect these seriously ill patients from arrest and prosecution for the simple act of taking their doctor-recommended medicine.
    • Permit qualifying patients or their caregivers to legally purchase their medicine from tightly regulated clinics, as they would any other medicine — so they need not purchase it from the criminal market.
    • Permit qualifying patients or their caregivers to cultivate their own marijuana for medical use if a regulated medical marijuana clinic is not located within 25 miles of the qualifying patient.
    • Create registry identification cards, so that law enforcement officials could easily tell who was a registered patient, and establish penalties for false statements and fraudulent ID cards.
    • Allow patients and their caregivers who are arrested to discuss their medical use in court.
    • Keep commonsense restrictions on the medical use of marijuana, including prohibitions on public use of marijuana and driving under the influence of marijuana.

The AMMPP, which is a grassroots organization, has been devoted to passing a medical marijuana initiative in Arizona in November 2010. As they explain on their homepage:
    “Currently, seriously ill people who use marijuana on the advice of their doctor to treat illnesses such as cancer, AIDS, and multiple sclerosis are subject to arrest and imprisonment, simply for trying to stimulate their appetite or alleviate their pain.”
    More at the source.
    KYFHO

Good for them! While I think marijuana should be completely legal (though I have no intentions of ever trying it), this is at least a step in the correct direction.
    Discussion is an exchange of knowledge; an argument an exchange of ignorance. — R. Quillen
    Quote Originally Posted by bglaze View Post
    mk2ja, for an Unreasonable Argumentative A**, you're makin' some d**n good points!
    Everything the Marines taught me about rifle marksmanship, I had already learned from the Appleseed Project. Find an event near you!

Check my blog for updates: My Life as a Marine Pilot.

Glad to see at least one state start to try to crack the strangle hold the feds have on we the people. If our federal government has any problems with Arizona, or any other state, maybe it is about time they read that piece of paper they swore to uphold, also known as The Constitution of the United States of America.

Kudos to Az, they are looking better than Texas anymore. I agree with mk I feel no need as to why some drug like marijuana needs to be illegal.
    to secure peace is to prepare for war

Grandmaster
    +1 to Arizona for reading the 10th Amendment.

Shooter
    HOORAH!!!! GO ARIZONA!!! I seriously might be looking into moving there. NO safe haven for ILLEGALS, as PRO-2nd Amendment as it gets anywhere!, and now recognizing marijuana has a real medical use, IT ALL BOILS DOWN TO A SOVEREIGN STATE that isnt afraid to tell the feds to go F themselves. STATES RIGHTS!!!!! Arizona is becoming a poster child for the principles this country was founded on.

That's great to hear. Once again though, Indiana just needs to top Arizona and completely legalize it, just regulate it for driving under our already existing impairment laws.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty...

Quote Originally Posted by lashicoN View Post
    That's great to hear. Once again though, Indiana just needs to top Arizona and completely legalize it, just regulate it for driving under our already existing impairment laws.
    +1. It should be just like alcohol. legal for use as long as you don't operate machinery etc.. under the influence.
    We should be allowed to do what we want to our body. the .gov shouldn't be involved in that.

just regulate it for driving under our already existing impairment laws.
    Current Indiana law requires no impairment, merely the presence of marijuana in the blood or urine is illegal.

Glad to see at least one state start to try to crack the strangle hold the feds have on we the people
    Several states have medical marijuana. There are more medical marijuana clinics in Los Angeles than Starbucks now.

It remains to be seen whether the feds make their move on them. If the feds do not stop it in California it will spread across the country (and seems it has stolen a march on the feds).
    4/25-4/27: Come see us at the ISRPA booth!

Mentally: Somewhere on a warm beach, tropical drink in hand, a couple of wahinis to keep me company
    Cough, cough, ahem!!! Anybody know any good real estate agents in Arizona?Another "Plus" on the Move to Arizona side!
    Yes I am for gun control!! A firm grip, steady aim, and a gentle squeeze!!

What comes after your first "infraction"? Double Secret Probation perhaps???

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast