• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    OK, here is what I have determined. My Mark II has a very small chamber. With the gun torn apart and completely clean, Federal ammo drops into the chamber. All other ammo gets hung up. Remington and Winchester ammo get stuck 1/4 of the way in. CCI gets stuck 3/4 of the way in. Clearly, not all .22 ammo is the exact same diameter.

I would like to polish the chamber. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do that???

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Might try a dremel and a cotton wheel with a little rouge.

I once had similiar issues with a old High Standard HD military. Between doing that and breaking what I thought was too sharp a edge at the front of the chamber, it helped the issue quite a bit.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I use a Dremel with some polishing rouge or SemiChrome. You need to work slowly and test fit often. You can take to much metal off and not be able to put it back.

Do you have a GTI? I have an 03 GLI and a couple Corrados.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Make a note to self...be careful about buying a Mark II that shows up in the WTS section in the near future.

Checking and correcting chambers is a job for a pro or the factory. Too much is riding on making sure it is right. I think too small is much more preferable to too big.

My opinion only. They sell Dremels because people want them, I guess.

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    How new is the gun?

I have a MKIII and never had issues with getting rounds to chamber. Is the chamber really clean. how many rounds do you have through it?

CCI has a wax on the bullets and that can cause them not to chamber. I have seen where a batch of mini-mags were over waxed causing feeding problems.

Winchester xpert has it issues with size, there was a guy who left a almost full box at the range because it plugged up his chamber.

Fed bulk and champion I never had issues with nor anyone who I have seen shoot it. That ammo is one of the most common at the range.

BIGE7.62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 98.5%
    66   1   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    The Hills of Brown
    A small wood dowel and 1000grt paper (wet) or a dremel and rouge,mark the bullet as to where it sets now,do a little work and retest how far it seats ,go slow and easy ,as Colt556 states to much is not good.Might even leave a little tight and let time and rounds open it all the way up

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I didn't feel like editing my 1st post.....

I see that it is a MKII. With not knowning much about your gun.

Before you polish and mess things up.....

I would get a good lead solvent soak the chamber and get a good .22cal brush and scrubthe chamber very well.

I have had good luck with the lead-a-way cloth. But do not get it on anything with painted or blued metal. For a chamber it will not hurt anything but it will clean away the lead buildup if the solvent/brush does not do the trick.

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    As I stated, the gun is clean. It has had this problem for the 6 years I have had the gun. I imagine it is why the previous owner traded the gun. Thanks for the solvent suggestion, but as I said, the gun is clean. I have used every type of cleaner and solvent imagineable just in case there was some invisible plastic in my chamber.

Here is what I did. The chamber is inaccessible with a dremel. You simply can't reach it. I even have an extension and it is still inaccessible.

I got a wooden shish-ka-bob skewer and broke the point off. I then inserted one end of the skewer in my cordless drill. The other end, I covered with half of a cleaning patch. I then coated the cleaning patch with toothpaste. Just a little later and my Mark II will chamber any round. They just drop right in just like the federals did. I went and ran 50 rounds of ammo that had been jamming on every round through it and it functioned flawlessly. Amazing what you can do with a barbecue skewer and a little toothpaste.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    OK, here is what I have determined. My Mark II has a very small chamber. With the gun torn apart and completely clean, Federal ammo drops into the chamber. All other ammo gets hung up. Remington and Winchester ammo get stuck 1/4 of the way in. CCI gets stuck 3/4 of the way in. Clearly, not all .22 ammo is the exact same diameter.

I would like to polish the chamber. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do that???
    Good job !!!!! I was going to suggest, taking some very FINE steel wool, and LOTS of oil, and doing what you did, with a cleaning rod...

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I got a wooden shish-ka-bob skewer and broke the point off. I then inserted one end of the skewer in my cordless drill. The other end, I covered with half of a cleaning patch. I then coated the cleaning patch with toothpaste. Just a little later and my Mark II will chamber any round. They just drop right in just like the federals did. I went and ran 50 rounds of ammo that had been jamming on every round through it and it functioned flawlessly. Amazing what you can do with a barbecue skewer and a little toothpaste.

With your kind of luck, you might consider buying lots of lottery tickets. :cool:

Glad it worked out for you. :patriot:

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    There is no way that you removed any metal using toothpaste. So it appears that you cleaned the chamber. There was something in there...

Good job.

Why do you think that??? Metal could be removed with the swag alone with enough rubbing. How do you think non waxing metal polishes work???

Give me a dremel, a polishing wheel, some toothpaste and a piece of stainless steel... We can place a bet.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Personally, I like to use JB bore paste, not toothpaste, but I can see how toothpaste would work to clean out lead and other residue without removing any metal.

There is no machined surface, including a properly reamed chamber, that does not have microscopic grooves where lead and other firing residue can build up. JB is a proven product that gets this residue out. Now, I guess toothpaste too...

If you like to think that you removed metal out of your chamber, I am not going to argue with you. The important thing is that rounds will now chamber in your firearm without damaging your chamber.

Again, good job.....

Last edited:

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    Why do you think that??? Metal could be removed with the swag alone with enough rubbing. How do you think non waxing metal polishes work???

Give me a dremel, a polishing wheel, some toothpaste and a piece of stainless steel... We can place a bet.
    Obviously he has never fine tuned a pinewood derby car. :D

Top Bottom