• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Ok, as I sit here preparing to ship a firearm, I'm going through old posts trying to find out what specifically needs to be done. There's some conflicting and confusing information, so I'd like to get it all in one spot. If we can get these questions answered, I'll add it to the INGO FAQ so it can be ignored as a collection instead of all spread out. Seems more efficient that way. :):

I want to examine this primarily from the standpoint of a non-FFL holder, as FFLs are already aware of what they need to do to stay legal. Please do not offer answers as if you are an FFL shipping a firearm.

Shipping a firearm

The term "firearm" in the context of this FAQ refers to the serialized portion (such as the frame or receiver). By "serialized" and "un-serialized", we mean the part that's considered a "gun", not just any part that happens to have a serial number. In other words, whatever part would require a Form 4473 if you were to purchase it from an FFL. Everything else can be considered "machine parts" or whatever other nomenclature you prefer. As with the rest of this FAQ, this is not legal advice, we are not lawyers, etc.

• What must I do to ship a pistol or a rifle to another Indiana resident?
    Rifles may be shipped via USPS. Pistols may not be shipped via USPS, but must be shipped via Common Carrier (e.g. UPS, FedEx, etc.). In either case, an FFL is not required to be involved in this process. For USPS, Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation is recommended but not required. You may also select "Signature Required" and purchase insurance as well, if you like.
    • What must I do to ship a pistol or a rifle to a resident of another state?
    Same as above, but the destination must be an FFL in that resident's home state. Note that you can ship to yourself in another state without having an FFL involved.
    • What must I do to ship a pistol or a rifle to an FFL (such as back to the manufacturer, or to an FFL in another state)?
    You may ship directly to an FFL, following the rules as above.
    • Do these rules cover a whole gun? What if I want to ship just the serialized receiver? How about just the un-serialized frame/barrel/stock/etc.?
    If you're just shipping a receiver, the rules above apply. If you're just shipping, say, an un-serialized barrel, it ships like any other package.
    • When must I ship through an FFL in my home state?
    • Must ammunition follow the rules listed above, or are there special provisions?
    Loaded Ammunition:

Best advice: ship ammo UPS. You can NOT send ammo USPS. Must be declared by DOT regulations. Shipping carton will get a sticker. You can not ship ammo larger than .50 caliber or 8 Gauge.
    How to Ship Ammunition or Ammo

Shipping powder and primers:

Incurs a HazMat fee (~$24 for up to 50 pounds); powder and primers can be mixed.

Shipping brass cases, bullets, or other non-hazardous components:

Brass cases and bullets are not regulated. For bullets, flat rate box @ USPS with adequate inner pack is the cheapest route.

• Can I ship anything gun-related via USPS?
    Yes. You may ship rifles via USPS either in-state or out-of-state. You may also ship parts.
    • What is a "common carrier" and which ones can I use?
    A common carrier is a shipper other than the USPS. UPS and FedEx are the two used most often. They will both ship firearms. UPS and FedEx both require you to use Overnight Delivery for firearms shipments.

• Which one is the best/cheapest/easiest to work with?
    • Do all "satellite" offices accept firearms or other "dangerous" goods or must I ship them through a "hub" office?
    Satellite offices are often privately-owned (e.g. Mailboxes Etc., The UPS Store, and so on). They are not required to ship your firearm but many of them will with no issues.
    • How can I find out which satellite offices will accept my firearm?
    The easiest way is to call them or stop by. Some people have reported that it can vary even from employee to employee. It's best to ask the store manager or owner directly. Try to get his/her name if possible in case the counter clerk disagrees.

• About how much can I expect to pay to ship my firearm?

1. For USPS, a small Priority package (such as for just a receiver) with delivery confirmation is around $10, depending on weight. A full-length rifle will be more expensive. If you use the USPS-provided boxes, it can be cheaper.
    2. For UPS/FedEx, Overnight delivery can be in the $50-$100 range. If you are shipping to the manufacturer for warranty service, try to get them to send you a shipping label so it's on their dime and not yours.
    Tips and tricks:

• Package but do not seal the package. You will need to declare that you are shipping a firearm and the shipper has the right to inspect the contents. You may wish to disassemble it or field-strip it to make it evident that it's unloaded without having to handle it.
    • Do not put anything on the outside of the package that indicates the contents. Package as discreetly as possible, including abbreviating the addressee: e.g. "S&W" instead of "Smith & Wesson". Do not allow the shipper to place any stickers or notes on the outside of the package indicating the contents.
    • The ATF FAQ regarding shipping firearms has additional information: ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Unlicensed Persons

For fun, I will include the addresses of some local FedEx and UPS hub offices if you can provide them.

If you can come up with any other pertinent questions, please feel free to add on. Answers should be brief and concise, so that they'll fit into a FAQ without taking up pages of screen space. If possible, a link to the statute that covers your answer (or to the INGO thread that discusses it) would be helpful. As we collect the answers, I'll update this top post for further discussion and review.

Last edited:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I don't know if this helps or not. I have a UPS account at work. I ship packages and parts thru UPS all the time. NON firearm related. Due to problems with my father's 22LR, we had to ship it to the factory for repair.
    So I called UPS to see what I had to do to ship it. They told me as long as there was no ammo, and it was going to the manufacturer, I could treat it as a normal, everyday package. BUT, I had to have an adult signature when the package arrived at it's destination.

Again, I don't know if this is what you were looking for or not :dunno:

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I recently shipped the upper assembly of a pistol via USPS. The frame is what is considered the gun.

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    I don't know if this helps or not. I have a UPS account at work. I ship packages and parts thru UPS all the time. NON firearm related. Due to problems with my father's 22LR, we had to ship it to the factory for repair.
    So I called UPS to see what I had to do to ship it. They told me as long as there was no ammo, and it was going to the manufacturer, I could treat it as a normal, everyday package. BUT, I had to have an adult signature when the package arrived at it's destination.

Again, I don't know if this is what you were looking for or not :dunno:

The UPS website would agree with this. However, the UPS stores in the NWI region (not sure what that encompasses) have been directed to not ship any firearms. :xmad: (This per the employees at the Crown Point location - some email from a district someone-or-other.)

The FedEx on US 30 and Broadway in Merrillville was happy to ship, though.

Again, this is for shipping back to the manufacturer. Our closest hub is in Lafayette, though, so I had to pick it up there upon return since I wasn't going to wait at home on a random day hoping it'd be delivered.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    It's recently been explained to me that a rifle (or any part thereof, such as a bare receiver) can be shipped by us "normies" through USPS. Pistols (at least the serialized parts) have to go through common carriers.

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    The UPS website would agree with this. However, the UPS stores in the NWI region (not sure what that encompasses) have been directed to not ship any firearms. :xmad: (This per the employees at the Crown Point location - some email from a district someone-or-other.)

UPS Stores are franchises, the people that work there are not actual UPS employees, if you take your firearm to a UPS Hub you should have no problem.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    If you're shipping through UPS, are you legally obligated to disclose what your shipping, specifically that it's a firearm?

if it gets lost and you try to file insurance, would be a wise idea.
    UPS also requires that handguns go overnight. This can be overnight air saver by 3pm which saves a bit of money.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Shipping a firearm

• What must I do to ship a pistol or a rifle to another Indiana resident?
    • What must I do to ship a pistol or a rifle to a resident of another state?
    • What must I do to ship a pistol or a rifle to an FFL (such as back to the manufacturer, or to an FFL in another state)?
    • Do these rules cover a whole gun? What if I want to ship just the serialized receiver? How about just the un-serialized frame/barrel/stock/etc.?
    • When must I ship through an FFL in my home state?
    • Must ammunition follow the rules listed above, or are there special provisions?
    • Can I ship anything gun-related via USPS?
    • What is a "common carrier" and which ones can I use?
    • Which one is the best/cheapest/easiest to work with?
    • Do all "satellite" offices accept firearms or other "dangerous" goods or must I ship them through a "hub" office?
    • How can I find out which satellite offices will accept my firearm?
    • About how much can I expect to pay to ship my firearm?

UPS: Shipping Firearms

If you want to ship UPS, go to the hub.

http://www.fedex.com/us/services/pdf/SG_TermsCond_US_2010.pdf

(see page 110 on the FedEx pdf)

If you want to ship FedEx go to the hub. (Morris St. & Girls School Rd. in Indy)

DMM 601 Mailability

(BTW you have no idea how hard it is to find the USPS link) Any post office should be able to mail your gun. FYI the people in Westfield don't know the rules, go to Carmel.

USPS is in my experience far less expensive than FedEx or UPS, even to the point that if you need to ship a handgun, pay an FFL his/her fee to ship it USPS for you.

1. For the purposes of shipping, just like the Form 4473, the "gun" is the serialized frame or receiver. Parts are just parts, and can be shipped w/o going through any hoops. Some guns have serial numbers on the parts; they are still just parts. Know which part of your gun is the "gun" if you are just shipping parts -- Ruger .22 pistol owners take note.

2. Only FFL holders can ship handguns through USPS. Anyone can ship them via any other "commmon carrier" that will take them.

3. You must declare to any carrier that you are shipping a firearm. Don't tape the package, they have the right to inspect and make sure it's not loaded. Some USPS offices may want a written declaration from you that you are following all the applicable laws.

3a. Things that are just "parts" do not need to be declared.

4. You can ship across state lines to yourself, like if you are hunting in Kansas. Send it to an address where there is someone you trust, some carriers require adult signature - I wholly recommend it. No one at the address may open the package. Put "TO: (insert your name here)" and then the address. No FFL needed.

5. Any gun addressed to another individual in another state must go to an FFL that is licensed in the recipient's state. If the recipient can legally purchase the firearm from an out-of-state FFL (e.g. someone from KY can buy a rifle from an IN FFL) then I don't know if that will work. Sending it to an FFL licensed in the recipients state is safe.

6. A non-FFL may ship to an FFL in another state (including manufacturers, gunsmiths, etc.) in another state, and receive their gun back from them without going through an FFL in your home state. You best bet here for warranty work is to get a tag from the mfg so you don't have to pay FedEx/UPS extortion money (they are not required to make you ship it overnight or pay exorbitant fees, but they do, and if you've ever worked for one of them - I have - you know why they require you to send it overnight)

7. Do not allow any "FIREARM" stickers to be placed on your package.

8. As far as I know, you can ship a firearm (handgun or long gun) to another person who resides in the same state (as long as the person receiving the firearm is not a prohibited person)

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    If you want to ship FedEx go to the hub. (Morris St. & Girls School Rd. in Indy)

Is this the only hub, or are there others? FedEx's website, for example, has a selector box for locations that accept "Dangerous items".

2. Only FFL holders can ship handguns through USPS. Anyone can ship them via any other "commmon carrier" that will take them.
    Note that you can apparently ship rifles via USPS.

3. You must declare to any carrier that you are shipping a firearm. Don't tape the package, they have the right to inspect and make sure it's not loaded. Some USPS offices may want a written declaration from you that you are following all the applicable laws.

3a. Things that are just "parts" do not need to be declared.
    When you say "parts" does that include a serialized receiver stripped from the rest of the firearm?

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Is this the only hub, or are there others? FedEx's website, for example, has a selector box for locations that accept "Dangerous items".

That is the hub nearest me. I'm sure there are others.

Note that you can apparently ship rifles via USPS.
    Yes. I have. All Long guns can be shipped USPS. However be sure to read over what the USPS says regarding things that might be able to be concealed on a person.

When you say "parts" does that include a serialized receiver stripped from the rest of the firearm?
    No. A stripped serialized receiver/frame is a "gun" and must be declared/shipped to an FFL in another state as required. Note: the FFL could be a manufacturer, licensed gunsmith, etc.

"Parts" are other things: grips, barrels (Ruger .22 pistol owners BEWARE!), trigger assemblies (apart from the serialized receiver/frame), slides, uppers, magazines, etc. My XD-40 has a serial number on the barrel, but the barrel is not a "gun" it's a "part".

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Note that for the purposes of the FAQ entries, I'm trying to get the answers as clear and concise as possible. I don't want to have a lot of extraneous information that will cloud the question, so any clarification is good.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008

Loaded Ammunition:

Best advice: ship ammo UPS. You can NOT send ammo USPS. Must be declared by DOT regulations. Shipping carton will get a sticker.

You can not ship ammo larger than .50 caliber or 8 Gauge.

Details:

How to Ship Ammunition or Ammo
    Shipping Loaded Ammunition in the United States - AR15.COM

Shipping powder and primers:

Incurs a HazMat fee (~$24 for up to 50 pounds); powder and primers can be mixed.

I don't know if carriers allow "ordinary Joes" to ship powder and primers. But if they do it probably requires a pick up, they can't be dropped off AFAIK.

Shipping brass cases and bullets:

You're GTG. For bullets, flat rate box @ USPS with adequate inner pack is the cheapest route.

Lafteacher62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    Lafayette
    Hi folks - I'm a newbie - and that probably explains a lot... Have a question on shipping a gun that I've looked for an answer to, but haven't found yet. I know that a handgun has to be shipped to an FFL, but does it have to be shipped BY an FFL? I've got a relative in Virginia that wants to send me a gun (I've got my IN license) but neither of us have been able to figure out if he has to ship from a FFL in Virginia to my FFL here? Anybody got any help on this - thank you.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    You can ship a handgun by common carrier (UPS, FedEx) but only a FFL can ship a handgun by USPS.

You can ship things to yourself across state lines, but not to other people who are not a FFL.

In a nutshell... out of state transfer = FFL in the receiver's state of residence is the minimum requirement.

In your situation -- out of state relative want to ship you a gun -- he would need to ship it to the FFL of your choice (handgun or long gun), and then you would go to the FFL, fill out form 4473, and if you pass the background check, you take the gun home.

Your relative can use an FFL on his/her end or not. His choice. (Local laws may vary, IDK, but it's OK under Federal and IN law). But an FFL can ship a handgun via USPS for much less than we mere mortals can at UPS or FedEx. They usually charge for this service, unless you're a "regular". And you probably want to pay for insurance, and return receipt. For UPS or FedEx, Adult signature required.

Top Bottom