• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    I just got a new safe that doesn't have an electrical pass-through, so I can't get a dehumidifier bar.

For you guys in the same boat, what do you use as a moisture absorbing agent, and where do you get it?

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Silica Gel - Silica Gel Source
    Recommend the 750 gram rechargeable canister. Sight glass in the top so you can monitor condition. When saturated, cook it in the oven for 3 hrs at 350-375. Will last indefinitely, as opposed to paper or cardboard which will disintegrate. YMMV
    They've always been available at one of the local gunshops for around $25.

Last edited:

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Funny you should ask. I was just reading an article in this months "Guns" magazine. 2012 On The Cheap | Guns Magazine in which the author points out several ways to save a few penny's. One was using "Fresh Step" cat little as a desiccant since it contains silica gel. It's a short read with some good tips.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Get a couple of these

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Eva-dry-Renewable-EDV-300-Wireless-Dehumidifer/dp/B000H0XFCS/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1321188661&sr=8-2-spell]Amazon.com: Eva-dry Renewable EDV-300/E-333 Wireless Mini Dehumidifer: Health & Personal Care[/ame]

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Mine's rated for water as well as fire, so it'll actually float if the basement floods. I don't want to compromise that, so I have to go with the silica.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Use Remington about once a month just plug into the wall. Then depending on how pink it is on how long, then put back in. Never do I let it get completely pink. One more thing, maybe it was time of year when I got my safe but if I was to do it again; would put desiccant in for a week or so then place guns in. The first couple of weeks my guns started rusting in there.

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Mine's rated for water as well as fire, so it'll actually float if the basement floods. I don't want to compromise that, so I have to go with the silica.

What kind of safe do you have? I know none of my safes will float, way too loaded down with guns and ammo.

I use the Remmington, works best for me.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Just drill a hole in it. It needs to be bolted down anyway so it's going to have holes. Closing the door on a live wire sounds like a really bad idea Deadeye. All of you guys talking about safes floating, you really don't have them bolted in? Making it pretty easy for thieves aren't you? The best price on rechargeable dessicant packs are any of the end of the world survivalist dealers on the web. I bought a large bag of them years ago and they're still working. Just pop them in a warm oven overnight and they come back ready to work.

Last edited:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Funny you should ask. I was just reading an article in this months "Guns" magazine. 2012 On The Cheap | Guns Magazine in which the author points out several ways to save a few penny's. One was using "Fresh Step" cat little as a desiccant since it contains silica gel. It's a short read with some good tips.
    Fresh step does make a 100% silica gel cat litter. It's a little harder to find, but it's out there. You'll know it when you find it, it's all clear/clear blue crystals (no clay-like substances).

It's very cheap, and works just the same as normal silica gel.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Fresh step does make a 100% silica gel cat litter. It's a little harder to find, but it's out there. You'll know it when you find it, it's all clear/clear blue crystals (no clay-like substances).

Beat me to it.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008

That stuff is actually called Fresh Step® Crystals and it is hard to find. Says Crystals right on the front of the bag.

by the way there is another brand of silica gel cat litter that you can order from Amazon.com - Just the Crystals® Premium Crystal Cat Litter. However I know little about this stuff and I'm not sure its 100% silica gel.

http://www.amazon.com/Just-Crystals...CQDG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321297452&sr=8-1

Last edited:
    Top Bottom