• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    huh, never would have thought about that. Interesting. You would think it would come up more often if it wasnt just a faulty primer. If he cycled the top two, why did the second round work but not the first. Just sounds like a bad primer to me.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    Interesting information. I'm kind of anal to begin with, but I never have what I would consider "old" carry ammo. If I have some carry ammo that's over a year old, I usually take it to the range and practice with it. Buying a box or two of premium self defense ammo once a year isn't going to break me, plus I have a little peace of mind knowing that I have limited my potential ammo issues as best I can.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I've purposely done this, and both went bang with no indicators of increased pressure or failed primer.

I always have to unload (per my wife) to put it in the safe. I now set the cartridges on the table and rotate them.

You would NOT believe how much the bullet gets set back on factory 230gr JHP in about a month and a half of chambering the top two rounds. It was insane. It was a fun experiment while I was looking at different carry ammo. :)

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    I've never heard of primer separation from repeated loading and unloading, but just setback alone is reason enough not to use this practice. Why would a LEO, of all people, do this in the first place?

Sheesh. Good info, though.

LOL at the police suggestion of putting a trigger lock on a loaded handgun. Double sheesh.

dyerwatcher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Colorado
    I was aware if the bullet possibly seating further into the case - but not the primer issue - good info - but luckily I shoot to much to be a factor......

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Good to know. Thanks for the link

A more practical method of home storage is probably to use a trigger lock or a locked storage box.

^ BAD ADVICE!!! ^

I absolutely hate trigger locks, but that advice is about as bad as you can get.

Most trigger lock do no prevent loading an unloaded gun, opening the action, running the slide, etc.

If the trigger lock is not specifially designed for the gun in question, it MAY STILL BE POSSIBLE TO FIRE THE GUN.

And finally...

NEVER put a trigger lock on a loaded gun.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I don't see why loading the first round directly into the chamber using the digital method wouldn't be better than feeding it through the magazine. It seems like it would be less destructive of the round and as long as the extractor hooks over the rim, it should function as advertised.

I've only had primer problems with rimfire ammo, mostly Remington, but I do believe that this happened.

This is pretty much a non-issue with me. My "go-to" guns are usually revolvers.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Check out this thread where it was discussed in a little more detail:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...an_i_chamber_the_top_round_in_a_semiauto.html
    The thread discusses bullet setback, which can be checked visually using tools, but this primer problem is new to me. I would think that maybe a good precaution for someone who unloads the chamber daily and reloads it would be to keep that old round for practice and put in a fresh round each day. That would be pretty expensive though. When I daily carried a semi-auto pistol, I would leave it loaded, but my children were trained and older. If I had small kids, I would probably leave my pistol loaded and left in a safe of some kind. I leave a few guns loaded in my safe to this day.

Top Bottom