• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • andrew

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 17, 2011
    Where the fur traders sang
    I just finished watching a new episode on American Guns tonight. A guy comes in wanting to buy a rifle for gator hunting.

The owner tells him that he thinks a .223 bolt rifle would be a good idea and recommends the Mossberg MVP. He then says to be on the safe side, he recommends a handgun for emergency use, and says the S&W Governor is a good idea.

For these two guns, he quotes the man 10k. The man talks him down to 8k.

The guys in the shop do a trigger job on both guns and put a scout scope on the rifle. The son then does some engraving on the cylinder.

Those two guns new are around 1k. I can't imagine two trigger jobs, a scope, and some minor engraving be worth 7k. :n00b:

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I just finished watching a new episode on American Guns tonight. A guy comes in wanting to buy a rifle for gator hunting.

The owner tells him that he thinks a .223 bolt rifle would be a good idea and recommends the Mossberg MVP. He then says to be on the safe side, he recommends a handgun for emergency use, and says the S&W Governor is a good idea.

For these two guns, he quotes the man 10k. The man talks him down to 8k.

The guys in the shop do a trigger job on both guns and put a scout scope on the rifle. The son then does some engraving on the cylinder.

Those two guns new are around 1k. I can't imagine two trigger jobs, a scope, and some minor engraving be worth 7k. :n00b:

For the unaware everything in Colorado is outrageously priced. Don't believe me? Go to the Gunsmoke store online you can buy a set of plastic 1911 grips for a mere $75 plus shipping. Everything in Colorado costs more because that is where the cool kids live. At least that is what my cousin in CO tells me. That and the fact that there is a huge migration of people leaving CA and running to CO.

I dont think I would buy anything from the dad anyway, he reminds me of a used car salesman, only with less ethics.

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    well lets not forget the pricy cannon ball cannon.. probably 600 in materials max and another 20 hours max.. so a max $2600.. in materials.. if i remember correctly 6k thus a 3400 dollar profit at the very least. Which i guess everything is where the market can bear.

The person was buying some time on TV not so much the guns. Is my guess. If not the place is Highway robbery.

Taking advantage of Gun Noobs by a shop like that.. On National TV is going to A make the store look bad in the long run. B. Make the new gun owner discontent, once friends and others tell him he got screwed.. Etc.

Unless the kids engraving has gotten a million times better since the last time i bothered to watch the show... the guy got ripped off.. I don't know much about scout scopes in general but I do know they are pretty basic..

If you want a gun engraved, for the money take it to a master jeweler. Those people know how to engrave some crazy designs on itty bitty platforms.. just imagine what one could do to a gun! They probably would end up with a truly unique engraving, that wouldn't have to be copied out of some book..

But hey the guy has to pay for diamond encrusted 1911's, some pricey equipment, insurance, A TV Crew,a pyro crew, the light bill, the Helicopter rentals,His daughters birth control, and some strong narcotic sleeping pills so he can sleep well at night.. Give the man a break :-D

RetroWally

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    If anyone goes into a gunshot first of all without looking online first for A) some ideas maybe and B) some pricing ranges...then they need to get ripped off. And another point...who the hell hunts gators in Colorado anyways?

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    For the unaware everything in Colorado is outrageously priced.... Everything in Colorado costs more because that is where the cool kids live. At least that is what my cousin in CO tells me...

I have a hard time believing this. Or at least that people allow it to happen. Let's take cars for example. A $20k car here could cost $1500 to ship to Colorado. If cost of living was 45% higher in Denver, anyone could buy a car from Indiana at $21,500 shipped, therefore on would assume that they can not charge $29,000 for the same car (45 points). Same goes with guns. If you have a $600 gun, that costs $20 to ship and $30 transfer fee, you are at $650. If they increased the cost there to $870 (45 points), everyone would just be buying online. These numbers are of course exaggerated, but in some cases (larger ticket items), make perfect sense.

But then again, I often under estimate the idiocy of the mass populous. :laugh:

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I have a hard time believing this. Or at least that people allow it to happen. Let's take cars for example. A $20k car here could cost $1500 to ship to Colorado. If cost of living was 45% higher in Denver, anyone could buy a car from Indiana at $21,500 shipped, therefore on would assume that they can not charge $29,000 for the same car (45 points). Same goes with guns. If you have a $600 gun, that costs $20 to ship and $30 transfer fee, you are at $650. If they increased the cost there to $870 (45 points), everyone would just be buying online. These numbers are of course exaggerated, but in some cases (larger ticket items), make perfect sense.

But then again, I often under estimate the idiocy of the mass populous. :laugh:

Math makes my head hurt. So what is your point? The cool kids dont live in CO or my cousin is full of it? Here is a hint, my cousins eyes are brown. ;)

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    I stopped watching that show a LONG time ago, all he's doing is parading around his jailbait daughter and trying to pay for his wife's fake, well "assets". Hes a crook just like Will on that Sons of Guns show.

Top Bottom