• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I thought they honored our LTCH, but I have always gotten conflicting reports. I'm travelling there soon, so must I unload and lock my pistol in the trunk or can I at least use the glove box?

We need national reciprocity sooooo bad...

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Amma needs to be separate from the gun and mags. I locked mine under the passenger seat and set the ammo in the back. I was also only 6 miles into Ohio.

echoagain

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    If you travel to Ohio on a regular basis, the Utah permit is a good option since Ohio doesn't honor our Indiana permit but does honor Utah (I believe because we have no training requirements while Utah does). A couple of years ago I attended a Utah class that was offered in Illinois, so I could carry in Ohio (makes perfect sense doesn't it?). I believe we now have folks who teach the Utah class in Indiana (or at least Indy).

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    I just came back from Columbus. I had the gun/unloaded magazine in my bag in the trunk. The ammo was in the glove box.

Once I arrived at my destination, the gun was loaded up and rode OWB on my hip. If i was in the car, see the first statement here.. As soon as i crossed state line, I saddled back up.

I hope this helps

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Amma needs to be separate from the gun and mags. I locked mine under the passenger seat and set the ammo in the back. I was also only 6 miles into Ohio.

Are you sure that ammo must be kept separate from mags?

U.S.C. Title 18 - CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE
    §926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

INcountryboy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Connersville
    Ohio doesn't honor our LTCH. The Utah non-resident permit is a good way to get around this problem. Also, I have heard that a loaded magazine can be considered as a loaded weapon (as stupid as that seems to me).

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I have an Arizona and a Florida license. Ohio honors Arizona and Florida.

By the way, the Arizona application process is short and sweet, but I had to wait about 60 days for the license. Interesting to note that although most folks tend toward Utah or Florida, Arizona actually provides slightly more reciprocity than either FL or UT. It boils down to which states you think you want to carry in. Arizona is a very good option for Indiana folks looking to expand their reciprocity into Ohio and/or other states that do not recognize the IN LTCH, and the AZ application process is simpler than either FL or UT.

Also note that a handful of states do not recognize non-resident license holders of the states that they honor (Ohio is not one of those).

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Are you sure that ammo must be kept separate from mags?

Yes. If you stop anywhere in OH other than normal travel stops for fuel and food you can't hide behind interstate travel laws.

There was a post of the Ohio code regarding magazines in one of the threads I posted links for.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    FIFY.

Ohio dropped Arizona. Please see one of the other thread and the Ohio AG web pages.

Thanks for the update. :ingo:

Do you know when this went into effect? I just checked the handgunlaw.us website today and they still show Ohio honoring Arizona. I will send them an update.

This is a prime example of why each person needs to check each State's AG website prior to travel!

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Yes. If you stop anywhere in OH other than normal travel stops for fuel and food you can't hide behind interstate travel laws.

There was a post of the Ohio code regarding magazines in one of the threads I posted links for.

My bad. I'm not sure why I thought he was traveling through without stops.

Top Bottom