• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Gun stores can be intimidating, especially for a newbie. I am not always comfortable every time I walk into a gun shop. Not even our own! It is always my goal to never offend the shop workers or owner. Every time you walk into a gun shop or into a gun show, just like at the gun range, you should be on your best behavior. Gun store clerks have been subjected to all kinds of bad behavior—handed loaded guns, muzzles pointed at them repeatedly, treated like idiots, and generally disrespected. Do not make them feel even more jaded by committing these unspoken “rules” of shopping in a gun store. Along with my own experience working at a gun store, and interviewing current and previous gun storeowners and workers, I have come up with a list of gun store etiquette “rules.”
    Like everywhere, even at home, there are a few Golden Rules of firearm safety:

• Treat every gun as if it were loaded.
    • Keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction. Never point it at something you are not ready to kill.
    • Know your target and what is behind it.
    • Always check to make sure the gun is unloaded. Never hand a loaded gun to a gun store clerk and never let a gun store clerk hand you a loaded gun. Showing the gun is clear.
    First off, you are shopping experience at any gun shop, whether a big chain or a local mom and pop store, should be enjoyable and safe. If you spot unsafe practices happening at a gun store at any time, just go ahead and leave. If one of the clerks is rude or makes you feel stupid intentionally, then you have every right to leave, also.
    One of the main reasons why you go to the gun store is to shop for a new gun–right? If it is your first time, you might be nervous about handling all those guns. Well, don’t be! You can ask the clerk any question you want about the gun. I still do this. I always ask what each control is on a new gun. The clerk should clear the gun and show you that it is completely clear, never pointing the muzzle at you or anyone else. Pay attention to how they hand you the gun. It is good practice to hand the gun back the same way it they handed to you.
    When you are holding the gun to get the feel for it, keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction. Sometimes the gun store will have targets on the wall that are a safe place to point the gun. You can ask the clerk where an appropriate place is to point the muzzle.
    Handling the Gun Don’ts

• Do not dry fire the weapon. Dry firing is pulling the trigger when the gun has no ammunition or a snap cap in it. It is damaging to some guns, especially rimfire guns, if they are dry fired. It is understandable that you want to feel the trigger when considering a new gun. Ask the clerk before dry firing.
    • Do not disassemble the gun. If you want to see its guts, ask the clerk to disassemble it for you.
    • Do not flick the cylinder of a revolver back in place.
    • Do not release the slide of a semi-automatic.
    • Do not “force” the gun to operate. I have had times when I have pushed the magazine release and nothing happened. I always ask for help.
    • Do not be afraid to admit you are a newbie. It is best not to act like a know-it-all when you aren’t. Always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.
    Shopping for Accessories

All gun store workers and owners will plead with you to know the caliber, model, manufacture, and size of your gun. When I worked the catalog pick up window, I had a customer come in and ask, “Do you have a holster that fits my gun?” I smiled and replied, “Maybe. What gun do you have?” The customer’s response was, “It’s black. 9mm.” Some of you are probably laughing right now, but this happens all the time. Gun stores want to sell you what you want and need, but they cannot do that when you have no idea what it is you exactly need or want!
    Therefore, research what you want before you go. Workers are happy to chat with you when they have the time. However, remember, everyone’s time is valuable so be considerate, especially when the store is busy. On that note, many gun store clerks say not to tie them up too long, “It is fun to play with a multitude of guns, but if all you want to do is look and it’s obvious that the store is really busy, and don’t keep the salesman tied up too long. Remember a lot of us work on commission and we aren’t making money while you stand there and fondle 20 different guns with no intention of buying.”
    Chitchatting with Clerks and Other Customers

Gun stores can be a plethora of information, both good and bad. It is fun to chat people up in a gun store, but it is important to remember your manners when talking to clerks or other customers. One former gun storeowner says, “Be polite and respectful to everyone. You don’t know who they are, where they have been, or what they know.” This same previous owner says he has seen people nearly come to blows over arguments. We all know that gun people have some very strong opinions and we all think our opinion is right. So, do not recommend guns or ammo to anyone unless they ask for your opinion. “I don’t care what your favorite or least favorite gun is, people are set in their ways and think they know what they want, facts be damned. Nothing good can come out of an unsolicited recommendation.” All gun store employees I talked to, ex and current alike, said do not interrupt and do not contradict anyone. You hate it when someone gives you unsolicited advice, right? Then do not give it to others.
    Other Points

I asked some current gun shop employees about gun store etiquette and they brought up quite a few good points:

• Do not talk about killing the president.
    • Do not talk about making your gun fully automatic.
    • Keep your children close to you and under supervision at all times.
    • Do not try your gun in a holster without clearing the gun first. Show the clerk your gun is completely unloaded.
    • Never point a gun at anyone.
    Be nice. They are there to help you.

Clint Smith, a writer for American Handgunner magazine, got a chance to work behind the counter at the Fort Worth gun store, Cheaper Than Dirt Outdoor Adventures, just to see how life was on the other side. He said safety is key and noted that some customers are very rude. He writes, “The store guy is actually on your side and he would like to sell you something. Work with him, not against him, and it will go much better–trust me.”
    Do you work in a gun store? If so, what advice would you like to give shoppers? If you do not work in a gun store, what are some gun store misadventures you have had? Tell me your story!

Taken from Gun Store Etiquette

I wonder if we can get Shooter to hire some of those ladies to work at Bradis? :rockwoot:

Dan

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Nice find, Dan! And I'm not just talking about the ladiez. ;)

Few things make me cringe more than taking the time and care to pull a gun out of the case, point it in a safe direction and clear it, then hand it to the customer safely, only to have him immediately turn and point it at his wife/kid/self. :facepalm:

That said, we can only do so much encouraging customers to observe proper gun handling rules. If we harped on everyone who came in and carelessly "coonfingered" a gun (to borrow Kirk Freeman's favourite term), we 1) would get accused of being a-holes and lose customers, and 2) wouldn't get anything else done...

My :twocents:

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    Good advice, I wish some customers would think before handling guns. I was in one the other day (I won't mention names), and two guys came in looking. The buyer was wearing baggy pants with his underwear hanging out. He obviously knew little about guns and was trying to decide what made him look more 'gangsta'. He was pretending to shoot it sideways and was waving it all over the place. I had to walk away from being anywhere near this idiot.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    here's my:twocents:'s be honest with the employee, if you are looking for a gun for your self, say so, dont waste time by looking at a .500 s&w magnum or a glock 36 and say it's for your wife or girlfriend, we ( the employee's) know your lying! unless your girlfriend is a 300# linebacker for the colt's or a professional domantrix, she wont shoot either! (your looking for a excuse to come home with a new gun and NOT get yelled at!)

i know this will cause a arguement, but please be patient with the workers at the store, most gun shops have such a low markup, they are understaffed, we do our best to help everybody in a timely mannor, but sometimes things out of our control happen, sorry but true

oh and i always check a gun at least twice to make sure its empty,when it go's out of, and when it go's back into the case, and if the customer lay's it back down on the counter, when i pick it up i check it again!

fishbass62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   1
    Dec 24, 2011
    Franklin
    Great post, but I have one question. Why shouldn't you release the slide of a semi-automatic?? I have heard this before, but never a reason.

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Great post, but I have one question. Why shouldn't you release the slide of a semi-automatic?? I have heard this before, but never a reason.

Dropping the slide on an empty chamber can cause sear damage with some inferior firearms.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    As a customer I have never purchased a firearm without first dry firing the weapon. If it doesn't dry fire, it's not going to fire when I get it home, and I'm not going to be stuck with a firearm that I have to fix because it was messed up to begin with and the dealer "forgot" to tell me.

Once it's out the door, there are few shops who will fix the firearm for free since they will ultimately blame the customer for the damage.

I can respect everything else said in this post besides the whole dry firing/dropping the slide ordeals. Can it damage the weapon? Yes... but it's not likely. I've dry fired plenty of firearms plenty of times and IMO, if the weapon is so inferior that the dealer doesn't want the slide dropped on an empty chamber or dry fired, they shouldn't be selling something that crappy in the first place. At least not without first informing the customer that it is complete crap and should never be bought.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    When I enter a shop the people behind the counter set the tone. If you are nice and friendly then so am I. If your rude then so am I. Get the point? If I am buyer then you better believe that I will make sure ot is in working order prior to purchase.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    As a customer I have never purchased a firearm without first dry firing the weapon. If it doesn't dry fire, it's not going to fire when I get it home, and I'm not going to be stuck with a firearm that I have to fix because it was messed up to begin with and the dealer "forgot" to tell me.

Once it's out the door, there are few shops who will fix the firearm for free since they will ultimately blame the customer for the damage.

I can respect everything else said in this post besides the whole dry firing/dropping the slide ordeals. Can it damage the weapon? Yes... but it's not likely. I've dry fired plenty of firearms plenty of times and IMO, if the weapon is so inferior that the dealer doesn't want the slide dropped on an empty chamber or dry fired, they shouldn't be selling something that crappy in the first place. At least not without first informing the customer that it is complete crap and should never be bought.

The way I read it, it's not "don't dry fire", it's "ask before dry firing". It's the store's gun - if they don't want you to dry fire it, don't. If you don't want to buy it without dry firing (I wouldn't, unless it would damage the gun), then go elsewhere.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    i know this will cause a arguement, but please be patient with the workers at the store, most gun shops have such a low markup, they are understaffed, we do our best to help everybody in a timely mannor, but sometimes things out of our control happen, sorry but true

Back around Christmas time, Cabelas had the gun counter roped off. You could look beyond the rope but if you needed assistance you had to wait in line.

Though this initially annoyed me, after waiting my turn I really liked it. Got the full attention of the clerk, he answered all my questions and I walked out with a nice scope.

I kinda wish they kept it up. Sometimes I feel like I'm trying to hail a cab in NYC!

chtheo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 30, 2012
    As we were all "noobs" at one point in time, it is understandable that people unfamiliar with firearms and its culture would be ignorant to proper etiquette.

I would humbly request that any gun store owner or gun store clerk use these breeches of etiquette as an opportunity to teach people proper safety and handling techniques.

I believe if done properly, that customer will not only appreciate the information but will go on to be a responsible gun owner.

Thanks to OP for some great information!

Top Bottom