• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • templar223

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Guns Save Life sent FOIA bombs to local police agencies seeking lists of the guns turned in at the August 4th gun buyback in Champaign, IL.

While we'd never even hope to get a similar list from Chicago for their buyback, this local list does reaffirm our earlier experiences about the nature of guns turned in - just junk. Pure junk.

It also put our mind to ease that some really nice guns were getting bought for pennies on the dollar.

Interestingly enough, it looks as though less than one percent of the guns turned in were previously reported as lost, stolen or otherwise listed in a police report.

See for yourself. Here's the whole story, and the list.

All the best,

John

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I spotted nine guns in the list that someone should have their a**es kicked for selling to a buy-back presumably to be melted down.

That was a good time to turn in your davis, bryco, rg, raven, jimenez, jennings & get your $50 per junk

I am with the folks from guns save life, don't throw them away for $50 when Chicago will pay you $100 next round.

Tamara

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Broad Ripple, near t
    S&W 29 - S&W 12 - Ithaca Mod 37 - Astra Cub - Any of those SxS 12's. What a waste :(

I'm having a hard time getting too worked up over the Cub. I'd need to see the 12, too, because a lot of the early ones spontaneously cracked frames due to Smith kinda learning as they went about torquing steel barrels into alloy frames.

And I dunno how much the world's going to miss some old Damascus-barreled 12 gauge side-by-side; at one place I worked, we used to sell those to a guy who worked for a company that did restaurant decorating, so I guess they went on to hang on the walls at Applebee's or wherever...

There are guns and then there are guns; I dunno, I guess I'm pretty jaded. I've seen too many heirlumps. :(

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Gun Buy-backs. A "feel good" proposal that solves no problems what so ever. I wish all the anti gun crowd was as stupid as these people.:n00b:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    When people tell me "If it saves just one person" (after I tell them it's a waste), I tell them that the money could have been put to better use to save lifes. Maybe that money could have went somewhere more effective. If you spend 40,000 to save a life, and that same money could have saved 40 lives, you have in effect, killed 39 people.

Stubz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Alexandria, IN
    I'm having a hard time getting too worked up over the Cub. I'd need to see the 12, too, because a lot of the early ones spontaneously cracked frames due to Smith kinda learning as they went about torquing steel barrels into alloy frames.

And I dunno how much the world's going to miss some old Damascus-barreled 12 gauge side-by-side; at one place I worked, we used to sell those to a guy who worked for a company that did restaurant decorating, so I guess they went on to hang on the walls at Applebee's or wherever...

There are guns and then there are guns; I dunno, I guess I'm pretty jaded. I've seen too many heirlumps. :(

Those are all excellent points I wasn't thinking of. How about any of them gone is one less part available in the 2nd hand market?

I only included the Cub out of personally jealousy, I'd like to have one.

Tamara

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Broad Ripple, near t
    Those are all excellent points I wasn't thinking of. How about any of them gone is one less part available in the 2nd hand market?

Many jurisdictions that are required by law to destroy seized firearms actually take them to an FFL to be destroyed by saw or torch cut to BATFE specs. In those semi-enlightened jurisdictions, it's a safe bet that all the usable spares are stripped before the receiver is destroyed.

I am somehow doubting this will be the case here.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Didn't read the GSL article, but did they go an buy any? I wonder if any sharks got to the good stuff before the cops did.

FWIW, we drove from MO to Springfield to Urbana to Lafayette and saw no less than three sets of roadside signs for the GSL organization.

lon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Top, Dead Center
    That list confirms my suspicion that 99% of "buy back" guns are junk. Out of curiosity, I wish the would have checked them for function.

Repps for templar223 for posting.

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    It would make more sense for a gun store to hold a gun buy back wouldn't it? I don't ever remember buying a gun from any police dept. :dunno:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    It would make more sense for a gun store to hold a gun buy back wouldn't it? I don't ever remember buying a gun from any police dept. :dunno:

A couple years ago in Chicago, they busted some thugs, found the guns were listed as being in the evidence room. Turns out some of Chicago's Finest were making a little money on the side.
    They could call it a buyback.

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    A couple years ago in Chicago, they busted some thugs, found the guns were listed as being in the evidence room. Turns out some of Chicago's Finest were making a little money on the side.

Oooooo good point! Didn't know about that!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

My search-fu seems weak. I can't find a reference. But it occured years ago.

Top Bottom