Poll: Do you REALLY know your round count on a firearm????

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you know the round count on your weapons?

• Total voters

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Ok. First, give me a minute to figure out how to make this a poll. It's my first.

Poll:
    I see a lot of "My (fill in the blank) has <500 rounds" or some other claim. I gotta tell you, I couldn't tell you the round count on a single weapon I own.
    The closest I can get is, a lot, and not much.
    So, I thought I'd throw this poll up. Let me know if I need another option.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I maintain records on all of my firearms. On some used ones, I have estimates of previous rounds fired, on some (like military surplus) all I can count are my own rounds.

BTW- I didn't vote, because none of your options fit this situation and you didn't include a bacon option!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I maintain records on all of my firearms. On some used ones, I have estimates of previous rounds fired, on some (like military surplus) all I can count are my own rounds.

BTW- I didn't vote, because none of your options fit this situation and you didn't include a bacon option!

Well, I figured I save the bacon for something more important.\

And how would I modify the poll to make it more applicable???

norman428

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I know it on one gun, the only handgun I've ever bought new. Everything else is used, so I have a general idea, bot not an exact count. I could see the importance on something like a long rifle, where you track each shot, the distance, accuracy, and everything. But with any other gun, Its not all that important to me, as long as the gun is in decent shape.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    I could probably ballpark a guess with most of my firearms, but I don't keep an accurate count, nor does it matter to me to do so.

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Yes

I keep a little log book for each. I like to know how many cycles a particular piece or part is good for before it wears out and needs to be replaced. The only way to know that is by counting cycles(rounds fired). It is just a little spiral notebook and I keep one in the range bag/case of each firearm. This is the one for my G22 and a pic I took last year. :)

G22Gen4log003.jpg

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    With my AR, I have every casing that has went through it. So yes on that particular firearm I do, every other gun I have bought used, so I dont know them.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    It's just an estimate to show age and potential wear on a firearm. If you don't put it in the ad, it will be the first question everyone that contacts you will ask.

Rocket57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    In denial
    I take a notebook to the range and record rounds fired and any and all malfunctions. That info goes into a spreadsheet for each weapon once I get home.

The only firearm I don't know the round count on is the 1950s Marlin 80DL my dad used to hunt dinner with.

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    I know rounds fired on all of mine except 2-3 that I bought used. Those I have rough guesstimates on based on what the previous owner told me.

terrythegamer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 12, 2011
    Winchester,IN
    Have always gotten used guns so since i don't know the previous round count i never kept track myself know i don't put much through them because i like to stock pile ammo and never get the chance to use it

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I go out with a set number of mags loaded for each gun we take. That covers the auto loaders and is easy enough to track within a 5% margin of error.
    Bolt guns and wheel guns is a buy the box count. I know within 5% on all of my guns if I have had them since new. Trades and other pieces it is a guess.
    I have bought a few that claimed "X" round count and when you get them home, tear them down and get into the real deal you realize the deep root has been applied. We do not partake of this deception.

Top Bottom