• ...and so much more!
  • RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Cool! I was surprised that the recoil caused both guns to rock backward when firing in 'air'. But underwater, they damn near scooted straight backward. I am guessing because of the resistance/weight of the water pushing down on the mounting block. But I am no scientist. it was still interesting to watch! Thanks for posting!

RandomName

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    I think he makes an invalid assumption about the revolver. The bullet is meeting a lot more resistance pushing water out of the barrel than air, so its going to cause a lot more gas to escape between the cylinder and the barrel than it would in the air. Obviously some gas escapes, but not as dramatic as he shows. Plus a revolver doesn't have a slide to cycle taking energy out of the equation, but I'm no engineer so I won't guess as to which is actually more efficient.

I'm surprised neither barrel was damaged and the round was able to push the water out of the way fast enough to not cause hydraulic pressure high enough to make a bulge.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Obviously some gas escapes, but not as dramatic as he shows.

I have a S&W 500 and (2) S&W 460s and I can assure you that the gas coming out of the cylinder gap at 60,000 PSI is devastating enough to do major damage to equipment and flesh & bone.

Mythbusters tested the myth that a S&W 500 has enough leakage to amputate a human finger or thumb. They proved that it would slice a chicken drumstick (flesh and bone) in half like you used a meat cleaver.

I was sighting in a new scope on my S&W 460 Compensated Hunter and rested the weapon on my Glock shooting bag. I fired two rounds and noticed debris and material flying off the bag. I blew the front pocket completely off the bag and blew a hole in the top of the bag.

I let others shoot the cannons but I always make sure they understand the dangers of the escaping gas and make them dry fire while I watch their hand placement. I've seen some photos and videos of the damage that can be caused by cylinder gap leakage.

Top Bottom