• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DemolitionMan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Avon, IN
    Over the last couple years, my Boy Scout Troop has found itself doing a lot of flag ceremonies. Most recently we were at the Blue Star Memorial Highway dedication in Avon. Some of the older Scouts have asked me to help them form a drill team so that they can take things to the next level.

I'm really proud of them for wanting to do it, but having been on a college drill team I know they have no clue what they're getting into! :D

To do it right, we'll need some rifles. We will probably get some of the wooden replica ones for practice and for places (like schools) that wouldn't allow even non-functioning firearms. I was wondering, though, if anyone had thoughts about where to find some 03's or M1's that would be suitable for drill team. If we could find someone willing to donate that would be wonderful but if not we would be looking for as inexpensive a solution as possible.

Thanks in advance,
    Doug

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Speak to your local VFW and / or Legion - I believe the government furnishes the drill rifles used by them free - may not help but doesn't hurt to ask.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    I recommend drawing several rifle blanks in a 2x6 and asking the local shop teacher to cut them out. Have a sanding/decorating party and wrap them in duct tape. Get several of the colored/camoed/patterened rolls of duct tape.

This will be good for them to practice with, tossing around, etc. without putting the drill rifles in jeopardy.

Glendale's Parade Store linked above is a great place to purchase drill gear.

You can also PM me if you're interested in getting some help from your local Civil Air Patrol color guard. We have agreements with BSA for mutual use. BSA gets to cross train with us, we get the use of BSA campgrounds, etc.

I just had members of my cadet color guard come and do a demonstration at my son's Cub Scout Pack.

Hiker1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    South
    The first rifle I looked at on the paradestore website (post #4) is about 8 1/2 pounds.
    Those will build muscles, and character!

DemolitionMan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Avon, IN
    Thanks for all of your responses!

Speak to your local VFW and / or Legion - I believe the government furnishes the drill rifles used by them free - may not help but doesn't hurt to ask.

I was wondering about that. I'm a member of the local Legion (though I think I've let it lapse again). Not sure that I've heard anyone mention anything being available but I'll ask.

Occasionally the CMP has some M1903 or M1's that are inoperable and suitable for drill use.

The CMP sells "Drill" grade rifles for about $345 for M1's. That's going to be out of our price range unless the boys want to do some fund raising.

Yep, I found that too and that might be the way we go. I was glad to see they have some with bolts that "work".

I would also imagine a scaled down wooden rifle would be more appropriate for the young fellows to handle.

Actually most of these guys are as tall as me or taller. They are generally my older patrol, which are 15-17 year olds. Although we have a younger brother who is still a WEBELOS and already wants to be a member of the team!

I recommend drawing several rifle blanks in a 2x6 and asking the local shop teacher to cut them out. Have a sanding/decorating party and wrap them in duct tape. Get several of the colored/camoed/patterened rolls of duct tape.

This will be good for them to practice with, tossing around, etc. without putting the drill rifles in jeopardy.

We had something like that when I was in college. We didn't have the patterened duct tape, though, I like that idea. I can bandsaw the blanks easily enough, so that's an inexpensive way to get some practice rifles.

I just had members of my cadet color guard come and do a demonstration at my son's Cub Scout Pack.

That's fantastic. Part of what I'd like to do with this new team is have them promote drill and ceremonies with the Cub Scouts. I was once a Cub Master, and now am a Scout Master, so I know how hard it can be to get the little guys to walk in a straight line. :)

Thanks again, guys.

PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    When i was in high school marching band, some of the color guard (flags) twirled rifles. They were just wooden blanks, no metal at all. However, you still might get into trouble in some schools with a zero-[STRIKE]tolerance[/STRIKE]intelligence anti-gun policy. Some schools punish students even for pictures with guns in them.

DrillMaster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2012
    Complete Drill Rifle Info

You may want to check out the following two links to help you make your decision.
    The DrillMaster iDrill Rifle (you can make an M1 or M1903 yourself with these patterns): http://www.thedrillmaster.org/2012/07/06/the-drillmaster-idrill-rifle/

Armed Driller Alternatives: Armed Driller Alternatives | The DrillMaster

Psst... Hey Buddy, Wanna But an M1903? (info on replica rifle specifically for Drillers) Pssst. Hey Buddy, wanna buy an M1903? | The DrillMaster

This is complete rifle information. Please let me know if you have any questions or comments.

DrillMaster
    www.thedrillmaster.org
    You may want to check out the following two links to help you make your decision.
    The DrillMaster iDrill Rifle (you can make an M1 or M1903 yourself with these patterns): http://www.thedrillmaster.org/2012/07/06/the-drillmaster-idrill-rifle/

Armed Driller Alternatives: Armed Driller Alternatives | The DrillMaster

Psst... Hey Buddy, Wanna But an M1903? (info on replica rifle specifically for Drillers) Pssst. Hey Buddy, wanna buy an M1903? | The DrillMaster

This is complete rifle information. Please let me know if you have any questions or comments.

DrillMaster
    www.thedrillmaster.org

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tmixon
    Top Bottom