• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I am not sure that my list would match up perfectly, but picking only 11 guns since the invention of gunpowder is just too small a limitation.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I don't know about the last one (grenade launcher). Only 5 in service? I'd say that's kind of early to tell if it's really one of the 11 most important guns in history. It is pretty cool, but don't know that it deserves that status, at least not yet. I would think the M16 could arguably be in there somewhere, or maybe even a Mauser.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    If I were to wade into the mud, I would start with deletion of the Gatling. As with DoggyDaddy's criticism of including the cool grenade launcher, it hasn't yet done anything to affect combat or the direction of history. A good case could be made for the flintlock rifle which was our only technical edge over the British. Again, as said by DD, the Mauser merits inclusion. It was, after all, decisive either itself or in more or less duplicates thereof, in revolutionizing infantry warfare. Same feelings about Ma Deuce. Fine weapon but I am not sure that it is a history-changer, especially when taken as part of the MG subset rather than standing alone.I also have to question the Uzi. It is a fine weapon, but the place of the sub-gun was well established long before its appearance.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I am not sure that my list would match up perfectly, but picking only 11 guns since the invention of gunpowder is just too small a limitation.
    I agree with this! I would think some form of flintlock would be in there too. And what about the first rifle (as opposed to smoothbore) in general? Yeah, too many to narrow down!

dbrier

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Indianapolis IN
    I would think the first practical repeating rifle would be on the list. Was it the Henry?
    That gun transformed warfare when most troops had single shot weapons.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    It depends if you are talking about the most important guns in history or the most important guns in the history of guns.
    I dont think that the Uzi or the Glock are really important in history, they have not been used in major wars.
    I never heard of the last one so I dont know why they included it in the list, it's not even in service yet.
    The M1 Garand as its place here as it played a major role during WW2 but I dont see any foreign rifles from that era (like the British Lee Enfield).

Also you could add guns like the Walther PPK that Hitler used to kill himself or the guns that were used to shoot presidents Lincoln and Kennedy.
    Those two guns alone probably changed the course of history more than a thousand of 1911 handguns did during WW2.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Not being a gun history buff, what makes the Glock 17 stand out.

First gun evere created by [STRIKE]God[/STRIKE] Gaston Glock himself.
    austria-flag-07.gif

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    I would have chosen the H&K MP5 over the Uzi. The StG44 definitely belongs on that list next to the AK47. The M-16 should replace the Glock 17.

60Driver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    Hamilton County
    I would consider replacing the SAA (as much as I love them!) with the Colt Patterson, as the first widely avaiable wheelgun. Agree that the XM-25 should be replaced with Stoner's design (M-16). It may prove to be a game changer but not proven well enough yet. Glock is an Icon, but would have serious competition in my mind from the Hi-power (First widely utilized double stack nine, with a proven record).

Flintlock....Land Pattern Musket aka "Brown Bess" and derivatives. Standard Long Arm of a global empire for over a CENTURY. 1722 until 1838..have to respect that, only other weapon I can think of with that relevance, for that long would be the 1911!:patriot:

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I think it is a pretty horrible list to be honest.The term gun is used incorrectly as it refers to artillery,machine guns,or shot guns not standard hand held firearms.

For firearms the list should not include the grenade launcher and should have mentioned some of the more important developments in firearms history.

I would think the Baker rifle would be on the list as the first military rifle to be issued with a rifled bore(Napoleonic war 1803,British military).

1842 the British Brown Bess became the first standard issue rifle to use a percussion cap.

The first semi auto pistol.
    Borchardt C-93 1893.With the help of Lugar,it evolved into the 1899 Lugar Parabellum in 9mm.

Seems to be focused mostly on US rifles and pistols.While we did invent a great many advancements to firearms,we where not the only ones and often not the first.With out giving credit to others inventions,many of ours would have not been possible.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I would have chosen the H&K MP5 over the Uzi. The StG44 definitely belongs on that list next to the AK47. The M-16 should replace the Glock 17.

I think the STG44 should replace the AK on the list all together.The AK is designed based largely on the STG44,though it has a much simpler bolt mechanism.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I think the Girandoni Air Rifle carried by Lewis and Clark during their expeditions should be on someones important list.
    More info.....
    The Girandoni air rifle: Lewis and Clark's secret weapon

I would love to have one of those!Great information.I did more homework on it and found tons of information and full diagrams(cad)of a replica made for museums.They also made a pistol version of the rifle.

That is indeed an amazing piece of history.

http://www.beemans.net/Austrian airguns.htm

Top Bottom