Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods

Bigshep

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    New Albany
    That kid needs some serious adjustments. Actually surprised someone didn't "take him out back." To quote Monopoly, Go directly to jail (or whatever it would be in this case), do not pass GO, do not collect $200. Punish the idiot that said these things.

Now to see what actually happened when the full story comes out.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    That Sucks.

I'd hate to live in a police state like that.
    What a bunch of Weenies!

Wait...Where?

:xmad:

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    A couple of questions that first come to mind are:

1. What was this kid charged with?

2. Did the Police have a search warrant to enter the parents home and seize their firearms and safe stored ammo?

Guy Relford might just have new clients with this one.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I assume they were seized based on either:
    IC 35-47-14-2
    Warrant to search for firearm in possession of dangerous individual
    or
    IC 35-47-14-3
    Warrantless seizure of firearm from individual believed to be dangerous
    (from: Indiana Code 35-47-14)

My guess (and only a guess, since I have no more info that you do) is that the minor child was left in their parent's care pending the investigation, so they used the above laws to alleviate the threat. The alternative, of course, would be to remove the child from the home. Someone must have chosen the former.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    A couple of questions that first come to mind are:

1. What was this kid charged with?

2. Did the Police have a search warrant to enter the parents home and seize their firearms and safe stored ammo?

Guy Relford might just have new clients with this one.

I'd think it might be worth a phone call, for sure.

old man Bill

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    It is my belief that if a parent has firearms in a home with children and the firearms are used by said children to commit a crime the parents should be incarcerated and when released never allowed to possess firearms again. If you can't be a responsible parent and can't control you children and your firearms you should lose your right to own guns.
    If the Bloomington kid had not threatened but instead gone to the school and killed one or more people,like the kid in CT., and you discovered the murdered people were your family members or friends would you then see this in a different light. Our ranting about absolutely no gun control is no different than the anti gun people ranting about more gun control. Both sides are wrong.
    These are my considered (not knee jerk) opinions, yours may vary.
    Bill

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    It is my belief that if a parent has firearms....
    The kid should respect both weapons and his parents to the point he would be scared ****less of what comes next if he ever threatened to use a weapon on another person. Let alone the cops showing up at your Dad's door asking him why his Son is an F'n idiot.

Just like Alfred Hitchcock's movies, the imagination is much scarier than the visual presentation of fear. Of course first, you actually have to care what your parents think about you.

I really don't care what excuse the cops used, the kid lit the fuse.

I once walked miles out of my way just to avoid tripping ground sensors outside a base we were staitioned on. No way in hell was I going to be sitting in a shack with MP's waiting for my Dad to come get his dip**** son. Even if I froze to death first.

The total lack of responsibility, taking responsibility and adults showing kids what responsibility looks like is what will cost us dearly. Don't fixate on liberal cops from liberal college towns, look inwards.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    It is my belief that if a parent has firearms in a home with children and the firearms are used by said children to commit a crime the parents should be incarcerated and when released never allowed to possess firearms again. If you can't be a responsible parent and can't control you children and your firearms you should lose your right to own guns.
    If the Bloomington kid had not threatened but instead gone to the school and killed one or more people,like the kid in CT., and you discovered the murdered people were your family members or friends would you then see this in a different light. Our ranting about absolutely no gun control is no different than the anti gun people ranting about more gun control. Both sides are wrong.
    Bill

This could be a slippery slope i'd rather not venture down.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Bill

Mine do vary from yours. You're welcome to your belief, of course. Here's my reasoning:
    1) Kids do stupid stuff. Making a threat like this qualifies as stupid stuff. Taking action on that stupid stuff becomes criminal action, yes. Here's the question, though-You own firearms and aren't shy about people knowing you do. (I'm basing that on the fact that you post on the internet on a gun board.) I'm going to reach a little farther than that presumption, however, and guess that you have neighbors and further, that at some point in time, those neighbors had kids. With me so far? OK, so the parents take all precautions and ensure that little Johnny never has access to *their* guns, maybe even by keeping them on their persons 24/7, so little Johnny now watches his next door neighbor, old man Bill, and notes when you leave the house. Is there EVER a firearm left out? Maybe one you were cleaning... maybe any number of scenarios, but now Johnny has a gun and goes to commit mayhem with it.
    Should YOU bear the same punishment that you say his parents should have?

Put in much simpler terms, if little Johnny has no fear of getting caught *because* he plans to either suicide or to suicide by cop, he doesn't care what Daddy or neighbor old man Bill are going to do to him for his acts of murder. By your rationale, as I understand it, "dammit, I'm locking SOMEone up, I don't care who it is, but someone's going to pay for this." (I grant that I may have misunderstood you and in that case, this would possibly be a "straw man argument", but that is not my intention. Please correct me if so.)

I don't see retribution as being a valid consideration, unless carried out against the actual actor who held murderous intent. Punish those who are actually guilty. In some cases, that is not possible, as they've put themselves beyond our reach. That does NOT justify punishing others who were in some way connected to the person but not the act. If a child steals Daddy's car after getting into the liquor cabinet, should the parent be forever barred from purchasing liquor and/or vehicular transportation?

Kids do stupid stuff. That doesn't, IMHO, warrant permanent punishment of anyone, including the kid. If possible, however, I would fully support the requirement of payment of actual damages. (not possible in the case of a murder, of course.)

As I did with you, you are welcome to disagree, but I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Blessings,
    Bill

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    This reminds me of the time in high school, when my friends and I were doing a lab write up for AP chem...we were typing smack talk about one of our partners women and he typed "I'm going to kick your ass".

We missed it when it was proofread and turned it in. We were called into the principal's office and nearly expelled. because of columbine.

Thankfully the LEO on duty, and the teacher understood our explanation and it wasn't taken as a threat to our teacher.

Words can be misconstrued, and taken out of context.

We all can talk out of our ass and say we can do anything we want to do, but having the means and having an actual plan to carry out the BS are two completely different animals.

Dave-O

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    New Albany
    This country needs to forget about the right to bear arms and adopt a right to bear children. How is the country mass producing mass murders. How do you make a teen age monster ready to kill an entire school. There have been at least 4 others in the last 5 days in the louisville area alone. HOW ?

Captain Morgan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    terrible haute
    Bill

It's my belief that if a person owns a car and their kid takes the car at night, goes out and gets drunk with his buddies, then crashes the car, killing his buddies and a family of 5 that happened to be on the road that night, then said car owner should be imprisoned for manslaughter since their kid stole their keys and used their car without permission

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    This country needs to forget about the right to bear arms and adopt a right to bear children. How is the country mass producing mass murders. How do you make a teen age monster ready to kill an entire school. There have been at least 4 others in the last 5 days in the louisville area alone. HOW ?

My guess is that you will start a firestorm of a debate with that question, a debate that will only serve to demonstrate just how deeply divided our country is right now. The divisiveness is pervasive, even in groups like this one who, at least by appearances, are on the same side.

I think the answer is fairly simple. But I don't know that the American people are willing to take a step in the right direction. I believe we have been sprinting in the wrong direction for decades. We are not a society that teaches respect for life. Until that changes, the killings will continue.

Top Bottom