• ...and so much more!
  • netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    A ban would ban production of them.

Yes, and illegal gun factories would be treated as meth labs are today.

But this is a reason they should not ban guns, because soon any nitwit criminal can make their own guns and magazines easily with 3d printing, and we need to protect ourselves from them.

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    See I'm not even thinking post-ban, I would like to build one like this now! Had the shootings not happened and this was the normal $600 AR world still, I would like to do this. The simple fact of watching it go from a chunk of metal to your rifle is cool in my eyes.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    So is this something that has to be destroyed when you die since you cannot transfer or sell it? How about passing it down to your kids?
    I'm with Stainer, this would be beyond cool to know you made your own lower receiver.

william

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Fishers
    I agree with Stainer...Don't really need another ar but I would line up just to push the button and see it transform. Would also be cool to say I made it

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I wonder how hard it would be to do it old school with hand tools and well made jigs? It would take a lot longer but be a fun process. You could sell a package deal, a mold to cast aluminum into, and a set of jigs. The cast would get it close and the jigs would be used to fine tune the position and size of all the critical parts. Your cost would be to acquire some aluminum, and the mold/jig package.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I wonder how hard it would be to do it old school with hand tools and well made jigs? It would take a lot longer but be a fun process. You could sell a package deal, a mold to cast aluminum into, and a set of jigs. The cast would get it close and the jigs would be used to fine tune the position and size of all the critical parts. Your cost would be to acquire some aluminum, and the mold/jig package.
    Would be better off just selling a chunk of AL bar stock. Casting aluminum is not a process for the home-tinkerer, and cast AR receivers are typically of lower quality even when cast in a professional facility.

There is already a whole market around this. You can buy receiver forgings and machine them yourself. You can buy 80% receivers (it doesn't become a firearm until more than 80% of the machine work is completed) and just do the last few operations. It still takes expensive machinery in your garage to do it.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    It's doable but it would depend on the level of expertise and intelligence of the craftsman.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    So is this something that has to be destroyed when you die since you cannot transfer or sell it? How about passing it down to your kids?
    I'm with Stainer, this would be beyond cool to know you made your own lower receiver.
    My understanding is that it can remain within your lineage and willed to a direct descendant.

bberg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    There are a couple of posts in the long gun section talking about 80% lowers. along with links to companies selling them.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    What would sell would be an 80% lower packaged with an SD card pre-loaded with the tool paths and tool changes for use on a Haas or Clausing multi-axis mill. I bet most of us know someone who could get us access to a mill afterhours for long enough to crank one out.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    What would sell would be an 80% lower packaged with an SD card pre-loaded with the tool paths and tool changes for use on a Haas or Clausing multi-axis mill. I bet most of us know someone who could get us access to a mill afterhours for long enough to crank one out.

3-5 in a federal pound me in the ass prison.

Top Bottom