9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I don't know how this stops gun control. All they will do is pass a law that you can't print a hand gun out.

Wes225

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    I don't know how this stops gun control. All they will do is pass a law that you can't print a hand gun out.
    How could you POSSIBLY ban something that can be downloaded by billions of people over the web? That's clearly working for piracy and illegal downloading...

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

And if I pass a law mandating that the sea be plowed, how successful will I be?:D

How will they regulate the cloud?:cool:

Wow Kirk, you are really into this 3-D gun printing.

It is the technological death of gun control. I've been into it since I read Prof. Kaku's book and had an ephiphany that 3-D printing was the death of gun control.

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    I'm not so concerned about them trying to make printing illegal, that's just not going to happen. My worries center around regulaiton of the printing materials, the printing technology, etc. An attack on the flanks can be very deadly.

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    So how much does a 3D printer cost right now?

There are 3D printers that print with metal, not just plastics, right? I bet those cost alot more.

"Tea, Earl Grey...hot - and a pistol on the side"

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Wow Kirk, you are really into this 3-D gun printing. How many threads have you started on this subject?

That is only becuase his fast & furious posts went no where. :joke:
    So now he has a new pet project. :D

I'm not so concerned about them trying to make printing illegal, that's just not going to happen. My worries center around regulaiton of the printing materials, the printing technology, etc. An attack on the flanks can be very deadly.

Did you see the comments in the OP's link.

1) There are now printers that can 'print' metal parts
    2) There is a group working on files to 'print' a working 3-d printer!

calvin-and-hobbes-duplicator.jpg

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    I'll bet that they will regulate, or at least try to, the materials needed for the printers and the printers themselves. Kind of like how they do with fertilizer and sudafed.

Sfrandolph

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    Boone county
    Two comments. One, successful 3D printing of firearms is going to give Feinstein an aneurysm which in the final analysis would be good. Two, how the heck is TSA going to stop someone from taking a plastic working gun on an airplane?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Two comments. One, successful 3D printing of firearms is going to give Feinstein an aneurysm which in the final analysis would be good. Two, how the heck is TSA going to stop someone from taking a plastic working gun on an airplane?

The ammo is still not all plastic right?
    Bullet is a metal. So is the case.
    Not sure if a metal detector can 'detect' that but I think it can.

mdmayo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    Madison County
    ... I've been into it since I read Prof. Kaku's book and had an ephiphany that 3-D printing was the death of gun control.

Michio Kaku, Neil deGrasseTyson, and Richard Dawkins. Three men who continue to inspire me in ways and in areas of thought that NO ONE can regulate.

If you want to waste an hour, watch the Dawkins vs. Wendy Wright video concerning evolution. It's a hoot, and parallels a current science v. creationism thread on INGO as well.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    There are all sorts of things that have been made illegal that are hard to catch people at. Most laws are that way. When they do catch you, you pay a fine and go to jail. I am not knocking what you want to do. It sounds great to me. I am just saying it isn't the end all. It fixes nothing as far as the second amendment goes. We have to protect the second amendment. That is where or freedoms stand not in some printer that prints out guns.

Jerchap2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    Regulate this, gun police!

http://mashable.com/2013/04/24/3d-printed-handgun/

The day of clicking the mouse on the gun icon of your choice is coming . . . a lot sooner than the political hacks believe. They no longer have control of the horizontal or vertical, we have assumed control, we have assumed control . . . .

Sharp as a Marble - Printing the death of gun control

"Anywhoo, gun control is dead, and the death certificate is printed in ABS plastic."

Outstanding, Captain Allen!
    Very cool! Gives me hope. Thanks for sharing!

CQB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    Central North Forty

Everything I've seen that has been remotely successful in the printed AR-15 realm still used standard internals. Metal pins, metal trigger and hammer, metal springs, and yes, metal ammunition. 3D printing in plastics is becoming far more affordable and the tech is improving more quickly. There are metal printers as well, but currently not at production level output for a manufacturer and not affordable or small enough for the average joe. Cody Wilson seems to be on the pin head of this tech right now. Depending on how you see the world, he is either scary or genius. Perhaps a little of both. He has intelligence and communication skills, and now, is licensed as a dealer and a manufacturer of firearms. This video is a very interesting watch and done from a pretty neutral stance as to whether or not the 3D printing of firearms is a right/wrong. It covers mostly him and development of printed AR lowers. If your attention span is not the full 24 minutes of this video, at about 22 minutes in, it gets to his latest generation lower and video of a proclaimed fast fire of over 600 rounds of .223 without a failure. You can see where they have beefed up the buffer tower on the lower which seems to be the weak point on these lowers. He has also made and used 30 rd. mags. This is definitely an interesting topic.

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DconsfGsXyA[/ame]

Last edited:
    Top Bottom