• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    Even the magazine got destroyed! How does that happen when it is surrounded by the metal in the Mag well?

A. It was a plastic mag
    B. The top of the mag (the part protected by the magwell) is pointed towards the left in the top pic. The top of the magazine is intact, the bottom (the part NOT protected by the magwell) is blown out and destroyed.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    A. It was a plastic mag
    B. The top of the mag (the part protected by the magwell) is pointed towards the left in the top pic. The top of the magazine is intact, the bottom (the part NOT protected by the magwell) is blown out and destroyed.

Doogh! I was looking at the mag upside down. You are right.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I checked the bore and there was no sign of a bore obstruction. I agree, it's an over charged round that caused the failure.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Its impossible to double charge a .223/5.56 round. Two charges will not physically fit in the case. A few grains extra above the max most likely the culprit.
    I didn't say he double charged a .223/5.56 case. He was shooting factory/re-manufacturered ammo so it wasn't a reloading issue, at least not on his part. My comment about double charging a round when we become lax was a general statement and double charges or over charges are possible with a wide variety of calibers and unless you're paying attention, they can slip by.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    How the Hell do you shred a PMAG from a chamber over-pressure? Obviously, you're gonna shred the upper receiver and BCG, but the mag? Did some rogue hot gas try to shoot down the magwell (and thus the mag inside) and just blow out the bottom of the PMAG?

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    How the Hell do you shred a PMAG from a chamber over-pressure? Obviously, you're gonna shred the upper receiver and BCG, but the mag? Did some rogue hot gas try to shoot down the magwell (and thus the mag inside) and just blow out the bottom of the PMAG?
    My guess is when the bolt carrier split the gases went left, right and down.

Drakkule

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Butler,IN. 46721
    Thanks for the reminder, I have become lax the last few weeks. I have been doing the "well it's only a few round test fire" I really need to get back to a safety mind set.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I checked the bore and there was no sign of a bore obstruction. I agree, it's an over charged round that caused the failure.

Gun blew up. There may be a suspected overcharge as the failure. More analysis needs done IMHO before one can make any claim.

Remnant parts/case, examination of other ammo from the same group (factory or reload) and then component and process study.

Top Bottom