• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Spasmo and I took a trip up to Cabela's in Hammond this afternoon. It was warm outside, so I took off my cover, exposing my XD worn IWB but oustide my tucked-in shirt.

We shopped in the store for maybe 30 minutes, acquiring maybe $150 in prospective purchases. We weren't bothering anybody, and in fact prior to entering the store had a friendly conversation with a couple from Michigan who had inquired about my pistol.

Eventually, a store employee came up to me and asked me if I was a police officer. I said no, and she told me that her "AP" (whatever that is) said that I have to leave. When I asked her why, I was told "Because we shouldn't have to look at that" pointing at my pistol. Apparently, unless I'm a LEO, having a visible pistol is highly offensive. I told her that Cabela's stated corporate policy was to follow the laws of Indiana and she insisted again that "we shouldn't have to look at that and my AP says you need to leave". I'll also note that they had a sign posted similar to Gander Mountain's sign, regarding checking any firearms, but LTCH holders were exempted. After the exchange, I said "Fine. We're leaving." I put my selections down and we walked out.

Now, I'm not complaining about being asked to leave for carrying a firearm (although I feel I have every right to complain about that). No, what I'm really upset about is that not only is Cabela's staff just not getting the message from their corporate officers, but that they decided to treat me like a second-class citizen. "We shouldn't have to look at that". Really, Cabela's? You sell firearms but you shouldn't have to look at someone actually carrying one? What kind of ridiculous ******* hypocrites are you?

They've had plenty of chances to change their attitude, but it seems repeated complaints to the corporate office have resulted in little or no action. Cabela's publicly-stated corporate policy is crystal clear but the local store management continues to completely disregard it. They won't see another dime of my money and I urge the rest of you to boycott them as well. It's clear that they aren't interested in our business anyway.

tgent

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    I really hate to hear this. I was really looking forward to visiting Cabela's one day. From what I've heard and seen it looks like a pretty cool place to shop.

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    Scutter you were in my neck of the woods today.... Cool..

Several members have experienced this problem with Cabela's in Hammond.

There was an OC event at Gander Mountain in Merrillville for this same reason. NWI because of it's relative location to Coomicago seems to have a hard time understanding not only Indiana law but Also Corporate Policy.

We can organize another OC gathering there hell if we would have known there were at least a dozen of us at a group shoot today we could have gone in to replenish our ammo.

Bass Pro has figured out the law finally and Gander Mountain has not had another event since, we as a group provide a great deal of income for these places we need to make a stand.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    Well....let us learn the lesson and STOP patronizing the place then...... duh. Sorry, I've had my fill of people complaining about things and not actually standing for anything lately. Let's just boycott Cabela's, online and store-front. No open carry? We won'y patronize you... plaing and simple. I'll never order online or go to the store again now. Period.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    :bs:

What the hell does it mean that they shouldn't have to look at "that"? What about the entire firearms section in the store? All those guns -- should they not have to look at those either?

You know things are askew when the very store that profits from selling firearms and other firearms related stuff can't stand to see those same firearms where they belong -- on your person as you exercise your 2nd Ammendment Right.

I don't have a Cabela's near me here in Evansville, but I do shop from their catalog. I think this is a good reason to take the catalog and add it to my burn pile.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Scutter,

I could be mistaken, but I'd guess that "AP" either stands for Assistant (or possibly ACORN) Pissant.

I will not be shopping there.

That is all.

Blessings,
    Bill

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Several members have experienced this problem with Cabela's in Hammond.

We can organize another OC gathering there hell if we would have known there were at least a dozen of us at a group shoot today we could have gone in to replenish our ammo.
    I know a lot of us have had problems with Cabela's and there's always an OC gathering there shortly after that goes just fine. It hasn't made a damn bit of difference. In my opinion, they've had plenty of opportunities and they still haven't learned. I think it's time we stop patronizing them. I don't know about you, but I'm voting with my dollars. It's nice to know that they're doing so well in this economy that they can afford to **** of one (and possibly up to 4000) customers.

Oh, and a registered letter will be going out to each one of their Board of Directors (or equivalent) demanding an apology.

tskin

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2008
    West Central Indiana
    Sounds like it could be a helluva place to have an open carry event. Nothing like 25+ or so folks wandering around - seperated from one another to give the Assistant Pissants something to worry about.....Especially if someone could get something from the corporate office as to their official policy on customers openly carrying firearms on their person.

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    I know a lot of us have had problems with Cabela's and there's always an OC gathering there shortly after that goes just fine. It hasn't made a damn bit of difference. In my opinion, they've had plenty of opportunities and they still haven't learned. I think it's time we stop patronizing them. I don't know about you, but I'm voting with my dollars. It's nice to know that they're doing so well in this economy that they can afford to **** of one (and possibly up to 4000) customers.

Oh, and a registered letter will be going out to each one of their Board of Directors (or equivalent) demanding an apology.

I grant you full permission to add my name to the list of people who will not be using there store again until the problem is resolved.

Michael Andrews

If you need more PM me I will be proud to stand with you sir!!

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    AP is probably "Asset Protection". Same thing as Loss Prevention or "Our rent-a-cop security".

I personally would have asked for a Store or Operations Manager, but that's just me.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis

Please keep us updated on this. I stop up there almost every trip through but never OC. I have gotten a few very good deals on used weapons. I probably won't OC since it scares the sheep and I do not want popular sentiment to curtail our rights. Yes, I know this is wrong, but it is a matter of education and you can see how well that is working in Cabelas that has a stated policy respecting Indiana law.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Spasmo and I took a trip up to Cabela's in Hammond this afternoon. It was warm outside, so I took off my cover, exposing my XD worn IWB but oustide my tucked-in shirt.

We shopped in the store for maybe 30 minutes, acquiring maybe $150 in prospective purchases. We weren't bothering anybody, and in fact prior to entering the store had a friendly conversation with a couple from Michigan who had inquired about my pistol.

Eventually, a store employee came up to me and asked me if I was a police officer. I said no, and she told me that her "AP" (whatever that is) said that I have to leave. When I asked her why, I was told "Because we shouldn't have to look at that" pointing at my pistol. Apparently, unless I'm a LEO, having a visible pistol is highly offensive. I told her that Cabela's stated corporate policy was to follow the laws of Indiana and she insisted again that "we shouldn't have to look at that and my AP says you need to leave". I'll also note that they had a sign posted similar to Gander Mountain's sign, regarding checking any firearms, but LTCH holders were exempted. After the exchange, I said "Fine. We're leaving." I put my selections down and we walked out.

Now, I'm not complaining about being asked to leave for carrying a firearm (although I feel I have every right to complain about that). No, what I'm really upset about is that not only is Cabela's staff just not getting the message from their corporate officers, but that they decided to treat me like a second-class citizen. "We shouldn't have to look at that". Really, Cabela's? You sell firearms but you shouldn't have to look at someone actually carrying one? What kind of ridiculous ******* hypocrites are you?

They've had plenty of chances to change their attitude, but it seems repeated complaints to the corporate office have resulted in little or no action. Cabela's publicly-stated corporate policy is crystal clear but the local store management continues to completely disregard it. They won't see another dime of my money and I urge the rest of you to boycott them as well. It's clear that they aren't interested in our business anyway.

Wow, that sucks! I've never been to the Hammond store, but was looking forward to visiting in a couple of weeks when we head up to the lake.

They won't be seeing my smiling face now, though.

Thanks for sharing.

Empires Burn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009

Thats lame man, I work at Gander Mtn. and as long as you have a CC your ok to come in.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    AP is probably "Asset Protection". Same thing as Loss Prevention or "Our rent-a-cop security".

I personally would have asked for a Store or Operations Manager, but that's just me.

Asset Protection. Yeah, that's probably right.

I was getting ready to ask to talk to the store manager when she whipped out the "we shouldn't have to look at that" line. At that point I was so pissed off that I decided it was time to leave. Imagine if you were wearing, let's say, a Colts jersey. "We shouldn't have to look at that. You need to leave." Yeah. That kind of pissed off. It wasn't "some customers have complained", or "our store policy is...". No, she even asked me if I was LEO first. The implication is that if I had said "yes", then they could look at it all day long with no outward change in my appearance (no badge, no uniform, etc., just a "yes" instead of a "no").

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Isn't it funny the AP sent a flunkie to talk to you, instead of doing it themselves?

I think the registered letter idea is awesome, and if I were you I would post your story on every gun site you can find.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Cabella's Hammond sucks anyway. We went up a couple weeks ago, and found that compared to other Cabella's store their selection was anemic, there customer service mediocre, and it was a just an overall disappointment.

Cabella's corporate policy is clear, and within the last week it has been reaffirmed by them. Yet they still tolerate local stores insulting their customers. Reckon they really don't care about gun owner money.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom