• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Anybody else think that the inappropriate overuse of the word "tactical" is as annoying as the inappropriate overuse of the word "assault"?

"assault weapon"
    "tactical pants"
    "assault rifle"
    "tactical flashlight"

It has lost its meaning when it's applied to everything as a marketing tool.

Other contenders:
    "Extreme"
    "Survival"
    "Pro"
    "Custom"

What are other words that fit in this category?

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    And I'm REALLY annoyed by these words lately since my dad got into spending money on guns. He gets lured in by all of these words and it takes me hours to set him straight...

"But but but this one is TACTICAL" :rolleyes:

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    Surgical....

and the phrase "The devil is in the details" I swear if I could spew forth a flammable liquid and ignite it on the next person I heard say that out loud I would do it. (well not really of course just making a point)

Then break out the hotdogs, Brats and marshmellows to enjoy the flame.

Root

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    I think it's funny. I am pretty sure its scientifically proven that adding the word "tactical" in the name adds a significant amount of ballistic performance to any firearm. It adds similar amounts of performance to anything else, tactical pants, tactical flashlights, tactical toothbrushes...
    and since I just bought a "tactical" rifle, I am in complete agreement with these scientific findings.:):

mconley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 17, 2008
    Hendricks Co.
    Dictionary.com

–adjective 1.of or pertaining to tactics, esp. military or naval tactics.2.characterized by skillful tactics or adroit maneuvering or procedure: tactical movements. 3.of or pertaining to a maneuver or plan of action designed as an expedient toward gaining a desired end or temporary advantage.4.expedient; calculated.5.prudent; politic.

It is how the gear is used that makes it tactical.

My dictionary ( in my oppinion ) - Making a weapons system to preform a preset objective, using the fine motor/mental skills of the user.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Hmm, I wonder if what I'm sitting in is a "tactical chair" or an "assault chair"?

OfficeChairCust.jpg

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    I think it's funny. I am pretty sure its scientifically proven that adding the word "tactical" in the name adds a significant amount of ballistic performance to any firearm. It adds similar amounts of performance to anything else, tactical pants, tactical flashlights, tactical toothbrushes...
    and since I just bought a "tactical" rifle, I am in complete agreement with these scientific findings.:):

As I am not too sure about this. I am certain that adding the word tactical or assault does in fact add $$$ to the purchase price while not necessarily adding any value...:D

preachere

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Mishawaka
    The firearms industry can't very well use the proper term for what they are trying to accomplish; if they did, instead of everything being labeled tactical would be labeled tacti-cool.

Regards,
    Eric

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I became numb to "tactical" quite a while ago for the most part. It has to be an egregious example for me to notice, or someone else has to notice an example for me to feel it.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Hmm, I wonder if what I'm sitting in is a "tactical chair" or an "assault chair"?

OfficeChairCust.jpg

If it has wheels I think you can use both in the title. Definitely tactical because it is black. Are democrats afraid of it? Can it be used for sporting purposes? Would Jim Zumbo approve? Does Smith and Wesson make a model with pink parts?

KPierce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Jeffersonville
    Some words are highly over rated and overly used. Mainly as a marketing ploy. I usually choose to ignore most of the time.

I did however take the test in the link that esrice posted. Got these results.

Your Result

Tactician Level 2:
    Good Tactics Overall. Can be used in battles of some consequence. :laugh:

Top Bottom