• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • furbymac

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    noblesville
    when me and a buddy entered the 1500 friday we had the state troopers rape our pistols and the one asked him if he had rounds in his in his mag (kindof a duh question) and when he replied yes he told him to empty it but the leo that checked mine didn't even mention it. did anyone else run into this and what would the reasoning be behind it

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I came in through the dealers entrance so my g19 was not checked by the state police.... the gun was unloaded and carried in a OWB holster on my strong side with an INGO shirt covering it up.... I took my dealer tag off because it kept poking me.... as i was walking around the show since i didnt have my tag to get back in through the dealer entrance i went out the front to smoke... on my way out the front the guy said let me see your gun.... i pulled up my shirt and he was shocked that it didnt have an orange zip tie.... he IMMIDIATLY waved the leo's and told me to go talk to them.... they then asked me if i had stolen the gun... when i said no they asked why it didnt have a zip tie... not knowing the rules about coming in the dealers entrance i didnt want to get into trouble and loose my free pass for tomorrow so i said that i had removed the orange zip tie in order to fit my gun into a holster... they said let me see the holster... i said i didnt buy it the gun didnt fit.... they then questioned me on when i got there why i was there yada yada yada... the LT asked for my LTCH and Drivers licence and wrote down all the information on a note pad including the serial number of my gun..... i then got lectured for quite a bit longer.... in reality it could have stopped as soon as they had my information and i kept trying to leave but i look pretty young for my age and i think the LEO's saw it as an opportunity to teach me a lesson because i felt like i was being yelled at by my dad.... it sucked and i was a bit worried for a while.... long story short they put a zip tie on the gun and i came back and forth through that door several times throughout the day and they never said another word....

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Indygunworks, Can you please elaborate publicly so we can all hear?

Ditto, I'd like to hear this. I've never had a prob. I just always have mine unloaded and my mags in my pockets or spare mag holder and they have never said a thing, lol. I had 3 loaded mags on me for my 1911 while I was in there, lol

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    I put my mag in my pocket and had inserted a scap-cap b4 entering. They always chek 4 loaded guns..... no biggie. My CZ75 is all steel and can double as a club. :)

LuckyBrush

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Delphi, Indiana
    One thing that was kinda cool was when my dad and I were leaving, we were waiting for the traffic signal to change so we could walk across 38th st. to the parking lot. The LEOs were standing there and said to about five of us "we can go ahead and cross, nobody is coming." We all got half way across and west bound traffic started coming up to the light. As he stood in the middle of that lane, the LEO said something jokingly to the tune of "well, if they run me over then you guys got my back ok? I give you permission today!" We laughed and my dad said "Sorry, we had to unload at the show!"

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    One thing that was kinda cool was when my dad and I were leaving, we were waiting for the traffic signal to change so we could walk across 38th st. to the parking lot. The LEOs were standing there and said to about five of us "we can go ahead and cross, nobody is coming." We all got half way across and west bound traffic started coming up to the light. As he stood in the middle of that lane, the LEO said something jokingly to the tune of "well, if they run me over then you guys got my back ok? I give you permission today!" We laughed and my dad said "Sorry, we had to unload at the show!"

haha nice. I could of backed him up. Before I got back to the street I had already stopped and cut my zip tie and at least put a loaded mag back in. Didn't have one chambered but that wouldnt' of taken long.

And IGW that's just crazy that they acted that nuts. But I guess I can't blame them, I mean if one had gotten stolen and it got past them, they'd prob be in pretty big trouble.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    What's worse is that dealers aren't supposed to carry AT ALL. Not even unloaded and zip tied. Not that it stops most of them...

Thumper

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    South Indy
    I came in through the dealers entrance so my g19 was not checked by the state police.... the gun was unloaded and carried in a OWB holster on my strong side with an INGO shirt covering it up.... I took my dealer tag off because it kept poking me.... as i was walking around the show since i didnt have my tag to get back in through the dealer entrance i went out the front to smoke... on my way out the front the guy said let me see your gun.... i pulled up my shirt and he was shocked that it didnt have an orange zip tie.... he IMMIDIATLY waved the leo's and told me to go talk to them.... they then asked me if i had stolen the gun... when i said no they asked why it didnt have a zip tie... not knowing the rules about coming in the dealers entrance i didnt want to get into trouble and loose my free pass for tomorrow so i said that i had removed the orange zip tie in order to fit my gun into a holster... they said let me see the holster... i said i didnt buy it the gun didnt fit.... they then questioned me on when i got there why i was there yada yada yada... the LT asked for my LTCH and Drivers licence and wrote down all the information on a note pad including the serial number of my gun..... i then got lectured for quite a bit longer.... in reality it could have stopped as soon as they had my information and i kept trying to leave but i look pretty young for my age and i think the LEO's saw it as an opportunity to teach me a lesson because i felt like i was being yelled at by my dad.... it sucked and i was a bit worried for a while.... long story short they put a zip tie on the gun and i came back and forth through that door several times throughout the day and they never said another word....
    Dude i can top that story.I will tell you about it when we meet up.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Yeah, cop had me unload the magazine that was in my gun.

But not the two on my side :dunno:

Couple questions: If they are going to require people to unload and load their guns outside the door, why don't they have some frigging clearing barrels? And two: why do we tolerate this treatement from gun shows and shops, but wet our pants when a Walmart just wants us to pull a t-shirt over our guns?

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    Yeah, cop had me unload the magazine that was in my gun.

But not the two on my side :dunno:

Couple questions: If they are going to require people to unload and load their guns outside the door, why don't they have some frigging clearing barrels? And two: why do we tolerate this treatement from gun shows and shops, but wet our pants when a Walmart just wants us to pull a t-shirt over our guns?

I think the clearing barrels would be a good idea. I doubt many would know to use them or how, but perhaps it would encourage folks to be more safe, if anything, they'd ape the folks that do know.

As for IGW's dress-down, I think that was pretty tame. I really don't know why you'd lie to them in the first place, if you were in the right, then nothing wrong with telling the truth and if you weren't, then you would have got what you got. I know for a fact at least one gun was stolen last 1500 as I was there when the dealer was (upsettedly) talking about it.

RE: the magazine emptying, I've never been asked, but I've never removed the mag in front of them either. It's fairly useless to have you empty the mag that came in it, but not your extras, but then they're probably just following the rules that were laid out for them and don't really give a damn.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Couple questions: If they are going to require people to unload and load their guns outside the door, why don't they have some frigging clearing barrels?

That's an excellent question, and I can't think of any way they could possible justify the oversight.

And two: why do we tolerate this treatement from gun shows and shops, but wet our pants when a Walmart just wants us to pull a t-shirt over our guns?

That's another excellent question.

I don't tolerate it on the very rare occasions I attend gun shows either. Of course, those are not occasions when I would choose to carry openly.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany

Danged if they do and danged if they don't. I wasn't personally involved so maybe I see it differently. It looks to me that the officers were alert and trying to do their jobs.

Hiram2005

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Plains of Hamilton County
    Let's not blame the state police. When I went in both Friday and Saturday it was IPD officers checking guns. I have been going to the 1500 ever since it started and it's always been IPD.
    NOW, on Saturday I took a cap+ball blackpowder revolver in with me, the IPD guy on the far end of the table looks at it and points to the barrel wedge and asks me what that is. I say it's the barrel wedge, why? He says he needs to figure out how to SWING out the cylinder so he can see if the gun is unloaded. I told him the wedge only lets you pull off the barrel for cleaning. I said this is a muzzleloader and it is unloaded, please just strap it. I was afraid he was gonna attempt to field strip it when it was obvious he had no frikkin idea what he was doing! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    I was curious about how many guns and other items go missing at the show. some tables have them tied together with paracord, but many just have them laying out for customers to fondle. It seems like it would be pretty easy to walk away with one, especially when it is packed like last time.

Not that I would ever consider doing it, just seems like it would not be that hard for a criminal / felon to get out with a gun if they wanted to.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Just a guess, but I've been at two separate 1500's when ND's occurred. Perhaps that, along with the aforementioned stolen item problems, had something to do with it.

In one instance, the zip tie had been removed, the loaded mag reinserted and a round chambered by some "rugged individualist" who didn't care for the rules. I'm just glad I wasn't the one who had to have the fragments dug out of my leg because he happened to have been standing next to a moron.

Maybe that particular officer went a bit too far in insisting that you unload your mag. On the other hand, I've never been on a "cold" range where they'd tolerate charged magazine being inserted into any weapon until just before the "commense firing" command either.

YMMV, but I'd cut them some slack and shrug it off.

Top Bottom