• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tsmysak1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    We have been wanting to shoot longer ranges so we piled into the truck and spent the day at Knob Creek. It is 330 yards to the backstop and about 450 yards to the top.

My buddy, first group out of the stall, shot a .3" at 300 yards (3 shots). At risk of blowing it, he didn't shoot any more at the target. I thought I was going to be embarrassed. The morning air was really clear and you could see very well. His load was 26.5 grains Re10x - 204 Ruger - 32 grain Sierra BK - in a Cooper Pheonix.

I shot a 204 at 300 also. 40 grain Vmax - 25.0 Benchmark. Group was the nicest little string from upper right to lower left. Frustrating for sure to struggle with the bench set up. Measured about 2 inches for 5 shots. --- All shooter error I think.

Really we were just wanting to get some time shooting longer ranges.

Some interesting things I noted...

About noon, the mirage was bad. Sun directly overhead. Hard to see bullet holes at 300 yards at that point, even with a 32 power Nightforce (Maybe you can't shoot a Nightforce in the daytime???). I shot a .1" group at 150 yards with the Sierra 32 grain BK, but at 300 it was all over the place. My buddy had the same experience with a 223 Ackley and 55 grain FMJ pills. I pulled out the 5R - 308 and cranked several 168 grain HPBT matches downrange. Shot a 1.0" 5 shot group at 300 yards with a 42.5 grain RG4895 load. I backed it up later with 43.3 grains of H4895 behind the same bullet. I think that mirage is a rough ride for little bullets. I was really surprised at the effect of the heat on the range.

I also shot a 5.5x50mm ACOG on a Colt HBAR flat-top. I was shooting 25.5 grains of Varget behind a 68 grain HPBT match 1:9 twist. Could not see detail at 300, but the clarity of the ACOG is unequalled. Very consistently this set up would shoot under 3 inches groups after group. Surprised me because I can't see any better than that. Perhaps the rifle would have done better with a younger shooter.

Anyway, would like to hear some of your experiences... We had a ball....

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Well I just recently got into scoped rifles. My first being a Marlin 925R, with factory mounted 3x9x32 scope. I just have it sighted in at 50 yards. Though it's deadly accurate at that distance. My newest toy is a Savage MKII with bulll barrel. I mounted a Busnell 3x9x40 scope. I sighted it in at 100 yards. I have not had a chance to shoot it much though. Hopefully this week I'll get some more trigger time. I need to get a spoting scope.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    We have been wanting to shoot longer ranges so we piled into the truck and spent the day at Knob Creek. It is 330 yards to the backstop and about 450 yards to the top.

My buddy, first group out of the stall, shot a .3" at 300 yards (3 shots). At risk of blowing it, he didn't shoot any more at the target. I thought I was going to be embarrassed. The morning air was really clear and you could see very well. His load was 26.5 grains Re10x - 204 Ruger - 32 grain Sierra BK - in a Cooper Pheonix.

I shot a 204 at 300 also. 40 grain Vmax - 25.0 Benchmark. Group was the nicest little string from upper right to lower left. Frustrating for sure to struggle with the bench set up. Measured about 2 inches for 5 shots. --- All shooter error I think.

Really we were just wanting to get some time shooting longer ranges.

Some interesting things I noted...

About noon, the mirage was bad. Sun directly overhead. Hard to see bullet holes at 300 yards at that point, even with a 32 power Nightforce (Maybe you can't shoot a Nightforce in the daytime???). I shot a .1" group at 150 yards with the Sierra 32 grain BK, but at 300 it was all over the place. My buddy had the same experience with a 223 Ackley and 55 grain FMJ pills. I pulled out the 5R - 308 and cranked several 168 grain HPBT matches downrange. Shot a 1.0" 5 shot group at 300 yards with a 42.5 grain RG4895 load. I backed it up later with 43.3 grains of H4895 behind the same bullet. I think that mirage is a rough ride for little bullets. I was really surprised at the effect of the heat on the range.

I also shot a 5.5x50mm ACOG on a Colt HBAR flat-top. I was shooting 25.5 grains of Varget behind a 68 grain HPBT match 1:9 twist. Could not see detail at 300, but the clarity of the ACOG is unequalled. Very consistently this set up would shoot under 3 inches groups after group. Surprised me because I can't see any better than that. Perhaps the rifle would have done better with a younger shooter.

Anyway, would like to hear some of your experiences... We had a ball....

that is some impressive groups. .3" group s at 300 yds is amazing. that would equal (in a perfect world) 1 inch at 1000.

im in the long process of tuning a good load for a couple of my rifles. i have a .243 that has been down to a .5 group at 100yds but i have since changed the bullet for the load and am starting from scratch. i shot tonight and after todays targets am considering changing bullets again. and starting over. with my 95 gr vdl i cant seam to break .75 group.

anyways great shooting

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Not sure where you are, but there is a range out near Shades State Park that has 300 yards. Nothing too fancy, but it's close (near Crawfordsville) and cheap $3 a day. I've shot out there, but not for a year or so. I had some 12" steel plate set up at 300 and was happy to bang away at them with an AR and M-14. I want to get out there with my FNH PBR once I get a little more settled in with it.

Doug K

tsmysak1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    The trick is not shooting a good group at range, but shooting a good group at will. LOL

I have shot a 0 before at 100 yards, and I have seen others do it as well, but on a very rare occasion to say the least. Most of the time, we shoot at Crosley and the heat there is terrible when the sun is overhead. I have a rifle that will consistently shoot under 1/4 MOA, but when the sun is hitting on that white rock, the group expands out to about 3/4 MOA or worse.

At the 300 yard mark it becomes a visibility issue as well. I had no idea because I have not spent any time shooting that distance.

Top Bottom